EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Official EOC Folding @ Home Team

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
gregaber
GPU folder

Team record week/month

The EOC team had a stellar week last week and are on track for potentially a record month!

Other than the one day last week when our business had a 14 hr power outage, I've been able to get my rigs back up to pre-driver mess levels.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

That's good news, I have noticed that on the CPU I'm folding with I'm getting a lot of WUs that take half a day to complete and are only worth like 2000pts, hopefully I'm the only one in that boat.

United States  Offline
Old 03-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldd View Post
That's good news, I have noticed that on the CPU I'm folding with I'm getting a lot of WUs that take half a day to complete and are only worth like 2000pts, hopefully I'm the only one in that boat.

That happens all the time with me. I really need a new video card, for the extra points. I want to see how much an Asus Strix 1080 Ti will set me back.
United States  Offline
Old 03-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
gregaber
GPU folder

Just food for thought; consider picking up a used 980. I just looked on Craigslist and there are several in my area for $250-300. Not a bad investment for 500,000 PPD.
United States  Offline
Old 03-22-2017, 03:15 AM   #5
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaber View Post
Just food for thought; consider picking up a used 980. I just looked on Craigslist and there are several in my area for $250-300. Not a bad investment for 500,000 PPD.
Yes, but I still game occasionally, so it would be an small increase in performance for me. I kind of have my mind made up about the Ti, but we shall see.
United States  Offline
Old 03-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
arunabh
The Truth is IN here

woo hoo, i too noticed the highest ppd for the team

fold ON
India  Offline
Old 03-22-2017, 10:05 PM   #7
jimh425
Fold more - bark less

Always good to break records.
United States  Offline
Old 03-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Librarian
Folding Machine

Well I've finally got both my updated rigs going now. I went from a single 970 to two 1070's. So with that and my 2 CPUs I should get over 1M PPD now .

On a side note, is anyone else having issues downloading GPU units? It's been like 2-3 days now, but about every 3 units the download hangs and I have to exit FAH, delete the partial download and restart it. I'm not sure if it's a server issue or my computers. The thing is my computers are in different buildings, so not same internet...

Hopefully we can keep up the good work and break them records!
United States  Offline
Old 03-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
gregaber
GPU folder

Ha ha, yes I'd say something changed with your folding based on yesterday's bump!

Yes, I've had occasional download issues lately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 4.17.18 AM.png
Views:	35
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	172492  

Last edited by gregaber; 03-24-2017 at 02:20 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 04-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #10
Librarian
Folding Machine

lol, I somehow didn't see your reply. Yup, amazing what happens when you get two machines running solid. At least the download issue seems to have solved itself for now, I was getting tired of having alarms going off all day.

I think we hit some pretty nice records last week with 9.3M on a day and March was a record at 220M. Let's get to 250M in April!
United States  Offline
Old 04-03-2017, 11:41 PM   #11
gregaber
GPU folder

You're posting 1.2M ppd with two 1070's? It takes my rag tag collection of 10 Maxwell GPU's to double that. That's quite an increase in horsepower from one generation to the next, and for only 300w vs my ~1200w of rated power consumption. But living in HI you need that with your utility rates.
United States  Offline
Old 04-04-2017, 01:16 AM   #12
Librarian
Folding Machine

Yup, just them two cards and 2 cpus. The CPUs don't do a whole lot, but they still help.

It is amazing what the Gen difference is, and yes the power savings is huge. rates have been going up a lot in 2017, I believe $.05 in the first 3 months. We're up to roughly $.31/kwh. So even though the 1070's weren't cheap, they'll save me tons within a year.

If electric rates don't get too much worse (fat chance), I might even consider a 3rd rig, unless folding 2 1070's is possible in a computer?
United States  Offline
Old 04-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #13
gregaber
GPU folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Yup, just them two cards and 2 cpus. The CPUs don't do a whole lot, but they still help.

It is amazing what the Gen difference is, and yes the power savings is huge. rates have been going up a lot in 2017, I believe $.05 in the first 3 months. We're up to roughly $.31/kwh. So even though the 1070's weren't cheap, they'll save me tons within a year.

If electric rates don't get too much worse (fat chance), I might even consider a 3rd rig, unless folding 2 1070's is possible in a computer?
Sure you can fold with 2 1070's. Four of my six rigs have doubled up GPUs (see signature for combinations). The biggest concern would be if your power supply can handle all the devices you have on your systems. Go to http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ and input all of your devices (including fans). You might be close on the 650w PSU but I doubt the 550w PSU on your second rig is enough.

Also keep in mind you'll be driving these 24x7. I personally go higher wattage than recommended just to have some headroom, especially if you do any GPU or CPU overclocking (which you can account for by adjusting the sliders to the right of the GPU/CPU sections).

If you double up on GPUs you should consider additional fans for your case. I use the Coolermaster HAF 912 cases and have 120mm intake fans on the front and side panel. Then I have a 120mm exhaust fan on the rear and a 200mm low rpm exhaust fan on the top. I'm nervous about water cooling and would be constantly worried about springing a leak and creating a really bad problem. 5 of my 6 rigs are unattended at my business so I desire redundancy (lots of case fans, and exhaust fan in the server room).

I don't bother with CPU folding. Relatively speaking, the amount of heat it adds to my server room and home office isn't worth the small PPD compared to the GPU PPD. I'd rather have the server room cooler which helps keep the GPUs run cooler (less stress) and keep my home office cooler (more comfort), especially in the summer.

Where I live in NC our electric rate is ~ $0.092/kwh so OUCH for you.

Last edited by gregaber; 04-04-2017 at 12:10 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 05-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #14
QuintLeo
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post

On a side note, is anyone else having issues downloading GPU units?

Known issue the last few days that's been reported on the F@H forums - apparently some of the "work" servers are having issues that cause clent slots to "hang" in a "downloading" state, often for hours on end.

I've got *2* rigs right now with 3 x 1070, a pair of 2 x 1070 rigs, and a single 1080 rig.
Slot configuration can be a bit of a PITA (most of these rigs are "mixed" with an AMD A10-7890K or 7860K running the Moo Wrapper project on BOINC) but once you get it set up it just keeps working.

All of the triple-card rigs run Seasonic X-850 power supplies (EVGA G2 850 would be another good choice), the double-card rigs run X-650s

I don't use cases on any of these rigs, in but past experience the Termaltake Versa V34 (or V35 if you like top controls) with at least one Delta high-end AFB added to the front of the case works well and keeps things cool enough.

And yes, the 1070 is a legitimate 600K (or somewhat more) PPD card.
1080 is legitimately 750k or a bit more.
Both of those figures are with a MILD overclock (it's HOT here the last few weeks, and I can't afford mechanical A/C so MASSIVE AIRFLOW is The Way).

1080ti as I recall is ballpark 1150K PPD on average, but I don't have any of those to try them out myself.

On the plus side - I'm in The Land Of Very Cheap Electric in Central Washington state, so I don't sweat folding power costs.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply