EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > General Windows Troubleshooting

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 07-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
The Dude
I ❤ 7

windows 10 creators addition ignores my commands

This is a truncated explanation:

A Lenovo flex 3

Fully updated creators edition(somehow snuck through my metered connection)

Finished my work selected power button shutdown function

Nothing

Tried again, still nothing

Tried sign off, tried restart, closed lid, pressed power button

Nothing, and I mean no sign of activity at all, like I never pressed a button or clicked anything

Ctrl alt del

Nothing! No task manager at all.

Ran task manager from menu with elevated privilege

Signed out of other user's accounts but there was an account named "5" which I guess is system but idk.

Ran shutdown /s - nothing

Ran swipetoshutdown - nothing (swiped down and the laptop just stayed that way with the message "swipe to shutdown" still displayed even though it was already swiped.

Disconnected from internet currently with full mbam custom search running but wtf kind of activity could this be? Another bug? Telemetry? Crap coding?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 07-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Force-shutdown (hold power down ~4s), once back in, see if you can shutdown. Sometimes even a force-shutdown will allow Windows to go back to the previous state so if it does not do a fresh start-up, find a way around. Not sure what the fancy hotkeys are anymore for that, Google should have those somewhere nearby.

I have no such "5" user running on my Creators W10, but OEMs can dump a whole lot of crap on their laptops and this may include background processes running through shadow/background users.

Could be a hanging process, related or unrelated to Windows, that is making the shutdown process not work. Or some mishap when it got updated... who knows. Malware, virus, luck (or the lack of).

Back in the good old Win XP days I used to say "Each new Windows install is a brand new adventure". In a way that it sometimes took three or four identical installs to finally get something working correctly. Sometimes a file was not copied from the disk, sometimes the default drivers simply did not work for a device, sometimes it was something else. Ever since Vista this has been a non-issue for me, even with W10 so far, but I suppose it might still happen to people now and then.

I find Windows to be much more harder to keep working (or initially set up) on laptops (and nowadays, tablets) ever since Windows 8. All those new hardware features are a pain to get working for some reason. My Surface Pro 3's on screen keyboard won't pop up automatically anymore. The only thing that seems to be working fine is the sleep feature that for some reason I never got working on any single desktop computer. lol.
Canada  Online
Old 07-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Oh yeah, I did force a shutdown and everything seemed to be back to functionality, started the scan after that process. This is a fresh install on a formatted drive btw not oem.

I figure it's just some b.s. but why this new business model, it's so bad. We don't need multiple rebuilds a year, we need one stable efficient system that is mostly or fully backward compatible with at least the previous generation. My God, I'm describing apple aren't I? Nooooooooo!
United States  Offline
Old 07-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Oh yeah, I did force a shutdown and everything seemed to be back to functionality, started the scan after that process. This is a fresh install on a formatted drive btw not oem.

I figure it's just some b.s. but why this new business model, it's so bad. We don't need multiple rebuilds a year, we need one stable efficient system that is mostly or fully backward compatible with at least the previous generation. My God, I'm describing apple aren't I? Nooooooooo!
Just be aware that Windows 10 is more like Mac OS in design too. Each large update to Windows 10 has actually brought a new kernel version as well.
United States  Offline
Old 07-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #5
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Yeah I know, I think Microsoft is stupid and will ultimately fail if they continue this nonsense.
United States  Offline
Old 07-20-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
PommieB
Overclocker

Well I haven't had any problems running or setting up win10, I find it no different than previous versions, I've set up quite a few laptops and desktops, mind you mostly asus, acer, sony etc. No lenovo so I can't help you, what I'd do in your situation is remove the OS drive and do a clean set-up of win10 and see how that goes.
Australia  Offline
Old 07-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #7
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

If you would like to bring back being able to hit F8 to get the advanced boot options.. run the following at an administrative command prompt.

Code:
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
United States  Offline
Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #8
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if it happens again. It would accept no commands that would have caused a change in power state.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply