EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Processors

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #1
bote110
Learning To Overclock

Second system AMD A10

Will looking in building a second system for my living room entertainment system , would like small case but powerful I found a AMD A10-7890K cpu . Would like more info on this if any one is using this ,is the integrated video chip any good {looking at streaming videos to my tv}
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
Urbanfox
I Regret Nothing

What specifically do you want the HTPC to do? If you're just streaming you can build a whole streaming HTPC for the cost of just that CPU.
United States  Offline
Old 05-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
bote110
Learning To Overclock

I'm going to run a cat5e cable to my living room next to my tv so I can connect my xbox ,tv and want a computer next to the tv so I can down load movies an watch on my tv and also get on line. That's why I was looking at the A10 chip with the build-in video chip and may be a mini or micro motherboard.

Last edited by bote110; 05-10-2016 at 09:38 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 05-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #4
buttons
BudgetBoy

hate to say it, but intel has come a long way with their integrated graphics. Until amd has a motherboard with DDR4 you might want to look at an I3-6100 setup -- unless your dead set on amd (which is fine, i have 4)
United States  Offline
Old 05-11-2016, 06:29 AM   #5
bote110
Learning To Overclock

I only taught AMD A10 were the only ones with build-in video are all the i3 have the integrated video an what kind of mother board would be best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons View Post
hate to say it, but intel has come a long way with their integrated graphics. Until amd has a motherboard with DDR4 you might want to look at an I3-6100 setup -- unless your dead set on amd (which is fine, i have 4)
United States  Offline
Old 05-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #6
Urbanfox
I Regret Nothing

They pretty much all have an iGPU, just double check before buying.

Honestly, for just watching video files and going online you could probably get away with a new Intel Atom (extremely cheap, extremely small, and fanless). Alternatively, a $50 Skylake 3.3GHz 2C/2T CPU, motherboard, and 8GB of DDR4 for $140.
United States  Offline
Old 05-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #7
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

There was a bundle deal on the GIGABYTE GB-BXBT-1900 (intel NUC sized computer) with 8GB RAM and a 120GB SSD for $135 on newegg yesterday. I almost pulled the trigger on it myself, its $99 just for the NUC normally.
United States  Offline
Old 07-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
BlastMaster
Old Soldier

Recycled a $200 HP computer for a HTPC also. Has a PhenomII 1065 in it. Added 2 4GB sticks of 1600mhz memory, an older Sata2 SSD and a couple 700gb HDDs and dumped my movie rip collection on it.

Added a AMD HD7770 1GB as well.

MY TV is a 65" 720P

looks great.

Sits in my living room and streams movies over my wifi. Only turn it on when needed like maybe 3 hours a day.

Don't get spend crazy when a few parts and a simple solution is available.

Recycled an old Asus custom painted PC case to house it.
United States  Offline
Old 05-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
QuintLeo
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

The A10-7890k has anywhere from even performance to about half the performance of the HD 7750 discrete card - same number of cores, almost identical clock, but handicapped by using system DDR3 memory vs dedicated DDR5.

They're overkill for a "media" system, OK for low-end gaming, and quite effective at D.Net where the memory speed has almost zero effect on them (D.Net client is small enough it all fits into cache including the data).

On the intel side, you have to go with the higher-end older Xeons with the Iris Pro 6100 or 6200 to even get CLOSE to the performance on the IGP - and even there the A10 will win.
NONE of the Intel "desktop" CPUs have an IGP that's even in the same ballpark on performance.

*ALL* AMD A-series have an IGP, as do ALL Intel i3/i5/i7 of the last 2 or 3 generations (possibly longer, but I was ignoring Intel at the time).

Where Intel wins is on the CPU side - but Ryzen is making that a competition again even at the high end.
United States  Offline
Old 05-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #10
Josie Wales
Extreme Overclocker

What would be the minimum CPU / GPU needed for 4K with full HDR? I've noticed that a fair amount of video processing goes into some action scenes.

I built my HTPC for gaming in addition to streaming TV and movies at 1080P. It's running a dual core i5 and GT730 which many would consider overkill.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply