EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Memory

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
djd3mon
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Talking 32GB installed (16gb usable)

I recently built my 2nd pc. I ham having a problem that I have no clue how to fix.

I have 4 stick of 8gb corsair memory. I am running windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

On my computer properties my memory is showing this: 32GB installed (16gb usable)

my motherboard is the asus fx990 sabertooth and it is capable of using all 32 gb.

My question is how do I get the full usage of all 32 gb?

any other info you need please let me know.

Thank you.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...mits_windows_7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 is limited to 16GB.
Canada  Offline
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
djd3mon
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

thank you so much.
United States  Offline
Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
901-Memphis
Santa Hat!

Just upgrade to a better version of windows 7 and your problem is solved.
United States  Offline
Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Subedei
Eppur Si Muove

Do you need 32 gig? 16 gig is more than plenty....I would flog the two extra sticks......
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Bonz-eye
Learning To Overclock

I hope everyone doesn't mind me reviving this thread, but I have a related question about memory limits in Win 7 -64 bit home premium. Does the amount of vram on a dedicated video card contribute to the memory maximum (i.e. 16GB ram + 2 GB video memory= 18GB total memory and therefore too much). Or is that just on-board video memory.

Thanks and take care.
United States  Offline
Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Video memory isn't included in the 16GB RAM limit.
Canada  Offline
Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Bonz-eye
Learning To Overclock

Thanks for the quick reply, Nagoshi. I read somewhere, although I can't remember where, that windows maps all memory, including video memory and that video memory must be taken into account when looking at max. memory of the OS. I just ordered 8 more Gigs of the same memory I ordered last week from Newegg. They had a shell shocker deal on the G-skill Ares 1600 DDR3 chips today. This will bump me up to 16GB on my system. More than I really need, but with the price of RAM so cheap, why not get as much as you can, right?

Take care.

Last edited by Bonz-eye; 10-31-2012 at 11:36 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 10-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Sephious
"Doctor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonz-eye View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, Nagoshi. I read somewhere, although I can't remember where, that windows maps all memory, including video memory and that video memory must be taken into account when looking at max. memory of the OS. I just ordered 8 more Gigs of the same memory I ordered last week from Newegg. They had a shell shocker deal on the G-skill Ares 1600 DDR3 chips today. This will bump me up to 16GB on my system. More than I really need, but with the price of RAM so cheap, why not get as much as you can, right?

Take care.
The memory limit on modern Windows versions is artificial, not hardware-limited like with 32-bit systems, so Windows does not take into account the video RAM in this non-hardware-limited scenario. If you're worried just buy Windows 8 Pro. It has a limit of 512GB
Canada  Offline
Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Bonz-eye
Learning To Overclock

Thanks for the reply, Sephious. I was actually considering upgrading just for that purpose, but now I don't believe I will. BTW, does anybody know if the $40 Win 8 pro upgrade is just for the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version as well?

Take care.
United States  Offline
Old 11-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #11
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Windows 7 keys are valid for 32 bit or 64 bit installs, whatever version type you have now and are upgrading will work, there is no key difference for the architectures.
United States  Offline
Old 11-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #12
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonz-eye View Post
Thanks for the reply, Sephious. I was actually considering upgrading just for that purpose, but now I don't believe I will. BTW, does anybody know if the $40 Win 8 pro upgrade is just for the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version as well?

Take care.
There is also the $15 Win 8 Pro upgrade available directly from M$.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply