EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Memory

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
snipestech
Love my toys!

Help Tweaking My Memory

I would like to tweak my memory ,since I do a lot of video encoding using convertxdvd VSO I was told memory has alot to do with the speed I am not sure wear to start
Memory are 2 sticks gskill ripjaws 1600 2x4gb
Thanks in advance
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
CountMike
Mildly OC-ed

Tweak #1, at least double the memory if you are doing encoding, 32 GB might even be better, Those tasks just love a lot of memory, speed is less important.
Serbia  Offline
Old 03-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
snipestech
Love my toys!

Really ?
But it doesn't even use all 8 gb
United States  Offline
Old 03-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
CountMike
Mildly OC-ed

I was recently composing 16 AVI files into a DVD home movie and it took something like an hour to do it on 8 GB of memory. As I had a lots more projects like that added 8 GB more and almost halved the time. Granted it's only on a dual core and on a friends 8 core it took only something like 10 minutes to do it. It is not always good thing for am app to take less memory, the more of it it utilizes the less will swap to the disk and work faster. Using convertxdvd VSO or similar simple programs might not use all the resources available, doubt it even uses all the cores properly, but modern ones like Adobe's Premiere do take hardware seriously and use every bit of resources. There is an rule of the thumb that using 2GB per core is an ideal and over that only if needed for heavy use. In my experience speeding up memory for let's ay 10 % might speed up whole system maybe only 1% in real life.
Serbia  Offline
Old 03-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
snipestech
Love my toys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
I was recently composing 16 AVI files into a DVD home movie and it took something like an hour to do it on 8 GB of memory. As I had a lots more projects like that added 8 GB more and almost halved the time. Granted it's only on a dual core and on a friends 8 core it took only something like 10 minutes to do it. It is not always good thing for am app to take less memory, the more of it it utilizes the less will swap to the disk and work faster. Using convertxdvd VSO or similar simple programs might not use all the resources available, doubt it even uses all the cores properly, but modern ones like Adobe's Premiere do take hardware seriously and use every bit of resources. There is an rule of the thumb that using 2GB per core is an ideal and over that only if needed for heavy use. In my experience speeding up memory for let's ay 10 % might speed up whole system maybe only 1% in real life.
Will look into that Adobe premier.
I use VSO and it was taking long then I found a setting that specifys amount of cores so I'm using all 8.
I was thinking
Should I upgrade to 1866mhz ram 16 gb
Or just add another 8 gb of skill 1600?
United States  Offline
Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #6
CountMike
Mildly OC-ed

More and faster memory can not hurt in any case. How much you could gain from faster memory in real life (apart from benching ) is another question. In my mind having good, stable memory settings is more important than it running at breakneck speed. What's the use of some super speed if the program you are using cracks somewhere in the middle of the project or even worse at 99%.
As your processor has native support for 1866 memory and if you don't mind spending some more money dropping in 16 GB of memory of that speed should give you the optimum, otherwise get 2 more sticks of the same memory you already have so you can run it risk free from any incompatibility.
Serbia  Offline
Old 03-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
_DOM_
Overclocker

I used convertxdvd a lot yr or so ago but only 4gb or ram but what helped me it seemed when I oced 2600K but more ram does help cuz at 4gb I couldn't really do anything when running 6 of them at a time but use it once in a while now and on 3770K and 16gb its faster both where 4.5GHz on the cpu both 1600Mhz but ram I have now is cas 9 vs 7
United States  Offline
Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
snipestech
Love my toys!

Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna get the same brand gskill ripjaws but the 1866 16 Gb version
So far though encoding times are getting lower by encoding from one raid array to other I'm getting 450fps which is more than I've ever gotten.So I will get the ram and post back.
Thanks again!
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply