EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Memory

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Jaseb87
The Legend

Memory usage

Can anyone tell me why i have 35% memory useage while doing nothing and why so much is cached..? could this be why i am lagging in games..?? i thought 8gb would be enough..?? obviously next thing to buy in 5 weeks but what can i do for now as 5 weeks is a while away yet lol

Many thanks

Jase
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mem.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	169846  
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
Urbanfox
I Regret Nothing

Lag and low FPS are two different things. Not to nitpick, it's just important to understand exactly what you are experiencing. 8GB is more than enough for a gaming machine at the moment.

Given the amount of ram you have and the processes you have open, that number is fine. Most machines like yours are going to be anywhere in the 2-3GB range, more than likely falling between 2-2.5GB.

One thing your sig doesn't mention is storage. I have not used AVG in a while, but years ago I remember it being a lot more resource intensive then the norm for AV software. I would try disabling that and seeing if you still experience lag in games. If it's not a frame dropping or stutter issue, then it's probably just the limits of your video card at 1080P.
United States  Offline
Old 04-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
Hickeydog
Terrible Human Being

Because Windows 7 is optimized to use your RAM to its fullest potential.

RAM is fast (well, when compared to non-volatile storage typically found on PC's). Empty RAM is wasted RAM. So what Windows does is it pre-loads frequently used programs (and I believe files....but I could be wrong) into RAM, where it's stupidly fast to access.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM. Windows is very good at managing the memory available. The more you give it, the more it will use.
United States  Offline
Old 04-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

Yeah get rid of that piece of crap resource hog browser crippler AVG.I've worked on quite a few machines that biggest problem they had was AVG.
Canada  Offline
Old 04-02-2014, 02:12 AM   #5
Jaseb87
The Legend

Ok thankyou all :-)

I will try get rid of AVG it gave me back 11% any suggestions on what AV to use??

Additional Comment:

Sig updated

Last edited by Jaseb87; 04-02-2014 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 04-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
FunkZ
AMD kicks your ASCII

I agree, AVG while free is definitely not resource-free and not really all that great at what it's supposed to do. TBH I've not had an issue just using the Microsoft Security Essentials and some common sense in browsing. Now for my kids I load theirs up with the Norton 360 suite that Comcast gives its customers, and the Norton Family/Watchdog parental controls also.

It also looks like you've got Steam open in the background. By default it launches on startup. I always disable that and only open it when I want to play a game. You may have other programs installed that are open all the time unnecessarily.
United States  Offline
Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
RDozzie
Learning To Overclock

I used to run avg and thought it was the ants pants of free antivirus until i found avast free........... Avast leaves it for dead in all aspects from i can see and what it does !
Australia  Offline
Old 04-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Jaseb87
The Legend

Ok for AMD higher frequencies or tighter timings or both lol i was at 420mhz 6cl but now i am 933 and 9 cl but i swear its like slower now than before and jerks a lil

Whats every ones opinion..///
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 04-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
Subedei
Eppur Si Muove

With 8 gig of RAM you can turn off your page file. You don't want it running on your SSD.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 04-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
Jaseb87
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subedei View Post
With 8 gig of RAM you can turn off your page file. You don't want it running on your SSD.
what is page file...??
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 04-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
RDozzie
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseb87 View Post
what is page file...??

I had a look jase as i didnt know either and found this, hope it helps you mate and it tells you what file size you have for all drives

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/w...#1TC=windows-7

Additional Comment:

i'd be very interested to know what page file actually does if anyone would be kind enough to explain please, i had a look at mine and it says i have 16356 mb allocated and says 24534 mb recommended, does that mean its running under performance ?

cheers

Last edited by RDozzie; 04-04-2014 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Australia  Offline
Old 04-05-2014, 02:17 AM   #12
Jaseb87
The Legend

Cheers mate ill look when I get home :-D
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 04-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

It's like virtual ram.It allocates space on your hard drive to "page" most often used programs so it doesn't use physical ram.This was more of use in the past when systems had small amounts of physical ram so the system didn't crash.This is not so much of an issue any more as people generally have larger amounts installed and the system can load it into ram and not run out and crash.Obviously slower than physical ram as it's using your hard drive and people with 8GBs and above have a lot of times just disabled the page file.Older programs were often written so they looked for a page file (much older probably older than you)and crashed if it wasn't there but I don't think any do that now at least not any I've run across.Probably safe to just disable it though I haven't bothered as when I played around with it I didn't notice any difference.
Canada  Offline
Old 04-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
FunkZ
AMD kicks your ASCII

Page file is used only when system memory is full. As long as you have plenty of free memory for all your open/running processes then it will likely never use the drive to cache. Why when you disabled it you didn't notice any difference.

If you're working on an older system and opening several programs you notice a lot of drive activity that's likely it paging things from memory to drive to free up more space.
United States  Offline
Old 04-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #15
RDozzie
Learning To Overclock

thanks for explaining that guys, much appreciated, now i understand it and think back to my previous system last year, amd 2.2 gig single core and 2 gig of ram, and yes i noticed a lot of hard drive activity most of the time, so it's clear now what it does.

i'm 58 this year so i guess that pretty much qualifies me for the old fart tag as well lol
Australia  Offline
Old 04-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #16
Subedei
Eppur Si Muove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseb87 View Post
what is page file...??
If you need help turning this off or moving it onto your spinner then PM me and I can talk you through it.

Regards

Sub
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 04-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #17
Jaseb87
The Legend

I have pm you sub
United Kingdom  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply