EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Official EOC Folding @ Home Team

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-22-2016, 04:41 AM   #1
Andrewconc
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Just joined the team

Hay guys,

I'm new here, my names Andy.
I thought I'd come and join your folding team, seems fair as I always use the extreme folding stats website!

I'm currently folding with 2 x 980ti's and a some duel xeons.
my ppd rangers from 1mil - 1.4ml depending on work units ect.

Regards

Andy
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

Welcome aboard Andy.
United States  Offline
Old 06-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
Andrewconc
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldd View Post
Welcome aboard Andy.
Why thank you Sir.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
Sneevly
PPD=E-Peen

Welcome!

I'm interested, what's the dual xeon set up like? How many cores is that and what kind of PPD are you getting on those?
United States  Offline
Old 06-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
N64link
I am the law?

Welcome to the team and to the forum.

He's gotta be getting over 100k PPD from the xeons. I was getting 900k-1m With 1 980 and 2 970s. 2 970s are netting 560k PPD right now.
United States  Offline
Old 06-24-2016, 03:16 AM   #6
Andrewconc
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneevly View Post
Welcome!

I'm interested, what's the dual xeon set up like? How many cores is that and what kind of PPD are you getting on those?
The xeons are engineering samples of the E5 2699 v4 22 core chips. My engineering samples only boost to 2.4g tho, but 88 cores is still pretty handy, I do a lot of interior design work with vray and 3dmax.

Now I could actually do with some help getting the most out of the xeons with regards to folding.
At the moment I have assigned 3 x 24core cpu slots and each slot averages around 60 - 80k ppd. I'm obviously missing the benefit of the quick return bonus tho.
Now in windows it is possible to assign up to 32 cores per folding slot, the problem is that when I do that i don't receive any work units.

Ideally it would be great if one of you guys knows a sneaky way of assigning 86 cores to one work unit so we can really get the most from the QRB.

I have also run into a weird issue where by sometimes windows messes up the processor affinity with all the different instances of the 0xa4 and puts all of my folding slots just on 1 cpu. This kills my ppd, now it is possible to manually tell each 0xa4 instance which cores to use but its not very practical because i have to do it each time a new work unit is started.

Now one thing I have never sat down and worked out is if there are any flags I can run to get bigger work units, I think i would have been ok back in the days of big adv if I was running linux but I hear that stopped the other year.

Thanks for your help and advice guys
Regards
Andy

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewconc View Post
The xeons are engineering samples of the E5 2699 v4 22 core chips. My engineering samples only boost to 2.4g tho, but 88 cores is still pretty handy, I do a lot of interior design work with vray and 3dmax.

Now I could actually do with some help getting the most out of the xeons with regards to folding.
At the moment I have assigned 3 x 24core cpu slots and each slot averages around 60 - 80k ppd. I'm obviously missing the benefit of the quick return bonus tho.
Now in windows it is possible to assign up to 32 cores per folding slot, the problem is that when I do that i don't receive any work units.

Ideally it would be great if one of you guys knows a sneaky way of assigning 86 cores to one work unit so we can really get the most from the QRB.

I have also run into a weird issue where by sometimes windows messes up the processor affinity with all the different instances of the 0xa4 and puts all of my folding slots just on 1 cpu. This kills my ppd, now it is possible to manually tell each 0xa4 instance which cores to use but its not very practical because i have to do it each time a new work unit is started.

Now one thing I have never sat down and worked out is if there are any flags I can run to get bigger work units, I think i would have been ok back in the days of big adv if I was running linux but I hear that stopped the other year.

Thanks for your help and advice guys
Regards
Andy
Quick update,

I put the bigadv flag in for a try and now I'm receiving work units that will work on 32 cores, look like 32 cores are getting me 120k ppd, so i should be able to run two 32 core cpu slots as long as I can sort out the problem with the folding client using both cpu's automatically

Thanks

Last edited by Andrewconc; 06-24-2016 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-27-2016, 02:57 AM   #7
steveE
Learning To Overclock

Welcome to the cause Andy and thank you.
New Zealand  Offline
Old 06-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
jimh425
Fold more - bark less

Welcome! Always good to have more folders.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply