EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Memory

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 09-11-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
Alan_FX8150
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

AMD FX RAM upgraded but AMD overdrive score is lower?

Good afternoon everyone,

I've just upgraded my ram the other day from
G-Skill Ripjaws 2133Mhz (@ 1800Mhz) CL11 16GB to
G-Skill Trident 1833Mhz CL8 32GB

I was really pleased that I've now got the max that I can realistically use but I have a couple of issues unfortunately.

First off, the Mhz is slightly lower @ 1730ish (about 70Mhz) for some strange reason although nothing else has changed. The bus frequency is still exactly the same (260) so surely the Mhz should still be 1800?

Secondly, in Windows 7, my desktop gadget and Keyboard LED performance monitor both still show the RAM as 16GB. So I went into AMD CPUID CPU-Z and AMD overdrive which both show the correct 32GB(BIOS also shows 32GB correctly) - Could I be missing a Windows update or perhaps need to change the registry maybe?

Lastly but most importantly, whilst in AMD Overdrive, I ran the benchmark test and was shocked to see a reduction of 200 points! Surely, twice the RAM capicity, same frequency and a lot tighter cycle times would have increased it? (I was expecting quite an increase)

I must be missing something. Apologies if its something obvious. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Here is the hardware spec of my machine

Mobo:____ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Sound:____ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1
CPU:______AMD FX-8150 8 Core (Stable OC) @ 4.4Ghz - 1.4v
RAM:______32GB G-Skill Trident CL8
GPU:______Galaxy GeForce GTX 680 GC (4GB)
PSU:______Antec Truepower Quattro 1200W
Cooler:____Antec Kuhler H2O 1220
Case:_____Antec 1200 v3
OS HDD:__Corsair Force Series 3 240GB SSD

Last edited by Alan_FX8150; 09-11-2013 at 04:36 AM.
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 09-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Your not missing anything. The fact is that AOD benchmark is not reliable at all. Never gives a constant score on multiple runs.

PiFast, Pimod would be better benchmarks to go by.

And I assume the PC performance doesn't "feel" like it's change at all. It shouldn't really. In reality there's bigger notices in heavy benchmarking with multiple tweaks to obtain the fastest time for example.

But don't worry, it's nothing you did wrong, the Ram is fine.
United States  Offline
Old 09-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
Alan_FX8150
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
Your not missing anything. The fact is that AOD benchmark is not reliable at all. Never gives a constant score on multiple runs.

PiFast, Pimod would be better benchmarks to go by.

And I assume the PC performance doesn't "feel" like it's change at all. It shouldn't really. In reality there's bigger notices in heavy benchmarking with multiple tweaks to obtain the fastest time for example.

But don't worry, it's nothing you did wrong, the Ram is fine.
Thanks for getting back to me SB.

I had noticed that the scores fluctuate a bit but I've also noticed that the benchmark runs now are lower consistantly than they were before. The only problem with using PiFast would be that I havent got a reference point for its performance before.

I've not noticed an actual difference in performance but 'every little' counts. I'd been putting some thought into the problem last night... could a potential issue be caused by more strain on the CPU IMC for having the top spec RAM that it can handle?
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 09-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Well from my past experience, overclocking from the 1333 (stock divider) and using bus frequency to raise ram speed has gotten be some of the best scores.

Things you can try or check up on....

See if the command rate (1T/2T) makes a difference at the current ram speed.

Check and be sure your running in dual channel mode.

Double check sub timings to be sure they are all correct.

Tighten sub timings one at a time and test for stability along the way.

And overclock. Most benchmarks actually respond better to a higher CPUfrequency over ram over clocking.

Oc. The NB and HT, linked at the same speed. 2.5ghz NB with 1.35cpu/NB volts and run the HT up between 2.7 and 3ghz with 1.3v or less HT voltage.
United States  Offline
Old 09-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
Alan_FX8150
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
Well from my past experience, overclocking from the 1333 (stock divider) and using bus frequency to raise ram speed has gotten be some of the best scores.

Things you can try or check up on....

See if the command rate (1T/2T) makes a difference at the current ram speed.

Check and be sure your running in dual channel mode.

Double check sub timings to be sure they are all correct.

Tighten sub timings one at a time and test for stability along the way.

And overclock. Most benchmarks actually respond better to a higher CPUfrequency over ram over clocking.

Oc. The NB and HT, linked at the same speed. 2.5ghz NB with 1.35cpu/NB volts and run the HT up between 2.7 and 3ghz with 1.3v or less HT voltage.
Thanks again SB,
I know the ram is set to 2T at the moment so I'll give 1T a try.

I've overclocked everything else you'd mentioned when I'd raised the BUS to 260. I'll have a double check over everything as there must be some fine tuning, somewhere that I can do to sort this out. It might take a little while but fingers crossed it'll make a difference,

Thanks again mate
United Kingdom  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply