EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Memory

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
aemchazz
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

16GB or 8GB? 1333 or 1600? for Photoshop and MSI 770-C45

Hi All,

This is my first post, if I am in the wrong section or have the wrong title, I apologize in advance. I don't know anything about overclocking.

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4
MOBO: MSI 770-C45
RAM: 2x2GB 1333 Kingston
GPU: SAPPHIRE HD 4770 512MB GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI

I am planning to buy a new Memory and I am not sure if I should go with 16 GB or 8 GB and a 1333 or a 1600.

my motherboard specs says : DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600*(OC)

I know OC means overclock, but what does that exactly mean? Will I need to overclock something in my PC? Will a 1600 not work if it's not overclock? will overclock be good for my PC?

I have not overclocked anything in my PC yet, and I wouldn't want to if it means it would become hot. I do not have any cooling system except for fans, I still use the default heatsink that came with my CPU.

I am not a heavy gamer and my GPU doesn't allow it. I play nba2k14 from time to time and I played AC4, Tomb Raider, Batman Arkham with low-medium settings. And I am ok with that. But I usually do some photoshop, sonyvegas and my pc is terribly slow when those programs are open.

I guess my main concern is.

Will a 1600 Memory work on my PC normally without overclocking etc.?
Should I go for 16 GB? (I am leaning on Corsair Vengeance).

Thanks very much in advance!
Philippines  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

If you're doing photoshop work, more RAM the better so you don't have to keep swapping with large picture files.

Go with 1600MHz memory, won't hurt your system at all.
United States  Offline
Old 03-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
aemchazz
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Hi Slizzo, thanks for the reply.

If I put the 1600, no configuration is needed?
Philippines  Offline
Old 03-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

You may need to force it to the 1600MHz speeds in your motherboards BIOS/uEFI, but that should be easy for you. Will be in your motherboard's manual.
United States  Offline
Old 03-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemchazz View Post
Hi Slizzo, thanks for the reply.

If I put the 1600, no configuration is needed?
You will need to manually set the speed and timings likely to utilize the 1600 speed ram.

For photoshop 8 would be recommended 16 would be better and reducing the page filing some also is optional.
United States  Offline
Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
vai0
<><

When your comp is slow, are you getting near your 4gb limit?

I do light photoshop and sony vegas video editing and get by with 6gb, but if I did it more often id buy more. Try and determine if you think you will need 8 or 16gb.

Your probably using 1.5gb right now for OS and miscellaneous stuff, so going from 4 to 8 will be more like going from 2.5 to 6.5. Some people can definitely use 16 though.

Go with the 1600mhz, try and get CAS latency 7 or 8 (lower is better). Don't stress too much on the speed and latency though, amount of ram is most important.
United States  Offline
Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
bmxfelon420
IM NOT A DOCTOR!

I wouldnt get 1600 honestly, especially if you dont have a newer x4 (which i take it you dont since you have a 700 series chipset). I've had two different computers that wont work with ram at 1600. It even seems to vary per set/latency. My Phenom II 955 will run 1600, the Phenom II 840 will only run 1333, and one of my Phenom II 945's would do 1600 on some kits, not on others.

I'd say for reliability's sake, get 1333. Just overclock your NB-CPU a bit and that will do more for system speed than the slightly faster ram ever would.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply