EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Memory

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
Jaseb87
The Legend

Help ;)

Before i waste some more money like normal i wanted to see what you guys thought.

Now 90% of the time i am gaming but occasionally i do like to mess about on photoshop, and obviously browse the intranet

Now i already have 8gb but i was thinking of getting another 8gb to make 16gb now is this worth it or not as from what i can tell any more than 8gb will be wasted for gaming...??

Many thanks
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Witchdoctor
"Think"

yea typically 8GB is plenty for gaming

I would simply check your memory usage while doing photo shop to see if it is utilizing all of your current memory, your answer will be obvious
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Jaseb87
The Legend

So what would happen if i did get another 8gb...? would it get used or be wasted or be used for more virtual memory?
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 04-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Witchdoctor
"Think"

If you are not utilizing 8gb as it is it wold be a waste baring you getting software tha can utilize it or game memory requirements go up significantly
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
Jaseb87
The Legend

Ok cool, so what about mixing ram is this possible...? like say another 8gb of kingston ram but not beast series like i have now so i can get faster and better timings and use them for now, but say i did need 16gb put these sticks back in or is this not possible...??
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 04-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Witchdoctor
"Think"

That is something you will simply have to try and see, no way to tell other than putting them in and see if they are all recognized

I have done this and it has worked though
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
Jaseb87
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchdoctor View Post
That is something you will simply have to try and see, no way to tell other than putting them in and see if they are all recognized

I have done this and it has worked though
Ok thanks for all your advice
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 04-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Now for my advice
Never mix ram....period. It opens the door to so many problems. Not saying it's a 100% chance, but more times than not it creates a problem. If you really want 16 GB, buy a 16 GB kit and sell your old set.
United States  Offline
Old 04-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
Subedei
Eppur Si Muove

I concur, even the same model of RAM from different batches can be wafty. It's a bit like buying wallpaper from the same batch...different batches can be of a slightly different colour even though the pattern is the same....
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 04-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
Jaseb87
The Legend

Yeah I understand :-D I just went with a different 8gb in the end,
United Kingdom  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply