EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > AMD Specific > AMD Memory

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
RDozzie
Learning To Overclock

Mushkin Ram

thanks shrimp and wont even try it , i don't know what im doing there so the devil will stay asleep,

I'd like some thoughts on mushkin ram from previous or current users of this ram

i don't how too do the voltage thing with ram, but i would like to see and ask why not a lot of people use mushkin ram , i always see what ram people use and really there's very few that have it, when it's such good ram and even for a novice like i am i can see the oc ability of this ram and the price range is well in keeping with all the major brands
Australia  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
chartiet
"What did he say...?"

I had 1600 Blacklines CL7 1.65v 2x2GB, loved them, but, during initial post, the voltage defaults to 1.5v and the ram wouldn't even let the machine post bios deu to being rated at 1.65v. After trying over and over again, i was finally to get into the bios and set the ram's stock timings and voltage. Minor issue but annoying. Once the ram was set up, they performed very well and I liked them.

The RAM voltage is the DRAM voltage in bios or similar. What exactly don't you know how to do with the ram voltage? I read that you are getting diff readings between slots?

Could you post up a screenie of the ram's spd and current settings in CPU-Z?

Maybe describe the issue again, if there is one?
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
musicfan
ambient water-cooling

I like Mushkin and their service is good when I needed to RMA one of their solid state drives. I would have bought Mushkin memory, but at Newegg USA, the G.Skill brand seems to be on sale more often so I reflexively buy the best RAM on sale. I would be happy to run my rig with Mushkin products (and still use their SSD as my boot drive). Just my opinion but hope it helps.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
chartiet
"What did he say...?"

Is it a good or bad thing if you never get the chance to experience someones RMA service lol? Mushkin's are great as far as I know. Id love to hear reasons why people dont like them as well. Lately Ive been defaulting to 1.5v ram and G.Skill or Team Groups are solid for price. Mushkin's tend to be a little more expensive but IMO, you get what you pay for.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Looks like prices take down Mushkin.

Think 1866 9-9-9 2x4 is 89$ US eggz

Jah, here it is edit. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226308

Heatsink edit is pretty tall edit with this kit. Users must edit beware while using this edit with certain coolers as well end editz.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
RDozzie
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartiet View Post
I had 1600 Blacklines CL7 1.65v 2x2GB, loved them, but, during initial post, the voltage defaults to 1.5v and the ram wouldn't even let the machine post bios deu to being rated at 1.65v. After trying over and over again, i was finally to get into the bios and set the ram's stock timings and voltage. Minor issue but annoying. Once the ram was set up, they performed very well and I liked them.

The RAM voltage is the DRAM voltage in bios or similar. What exactly don't you know how to do with the ram voltage? I read that you are getting diff readings between slots?

Could you post up a screenie of the ram's spd and current settings in CPU-Z?

Maybe describe the issue again, if there is one?
to be honest chartiet i don't know how to do it, jase helped me before and told me how to screen shot as he talked me through it

because of the evo cooler size and the fan is pushing air not pulling as it is the ram wont fit in the 1st ram slot so i had to put it in the 2nd and 4th slots, slot 1,2,3 read 1.5 volts and 4 reads 1.65 on cpuz, i don't know why it's reading 1,5 volts in slot 1,2,3 and 1.65 volts in slot 4 and the ram states its 1.65 volts from manufacture

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
Looks like prices take down Mushkin.

Think 1866 9-9-9 2x4 is 89$ US eggz

Jah, here it is edit. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226308

Heatsink edit is pretty tall edit with this kit. Users must edit beware while using this edit with certain coolers as well end editz.
i could have bought the 1866 shrimp but opted to go with 2133, because of the chip hold up and the over 3 mths waiting i was given a $ 30 discount for the inconvenience si they ended up costing me $200 for the 2 x 8 gig kit

Last edited by RDozzie; 05-02-2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Australia  Offline
Old 05-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
chartiet
"What did he say...?"

on the ram slot thingy... i had that same problem with a Xig air tower and i think my 212+ on a board as well. it should be fine in the A2/B2 slots or whatever they are called. perhaps you have the ram in the A2/B1 slots but thats just a hail marry.

In Start\Accessories, there is a "Snipping Tool". Use that to drag and create a screenie. Then do a file save as and attach it to your post under "Go Advanced". You should be able to take it from there Do you have CPU-Z dl'd at least? Happy to help.

Last edited by chartiet; 05-02-2014 at 09:21 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #8
RDozzie
Learning To Overclock

sorry guys can someone delete that post please, i tried chartiet but just dunno what im doing, thanks chartiet lol.... i was so frustrated i forgot all about that

Last edited by RDozzie; 05-02-2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Australia  Offline
Old 05-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
chartiet
"What did he say...?"

you can go in "edit" next to quote and redo/clean up.

use the paper clip next to the smiley face in the go advanced interface, "manage attachments" when you are posting to attache a pic
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
RDozzie
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
you can go in "edit" next to quote and redo/clean up.

use the paper clip next to the smiley face in the go advanced interface, "manage attachments" when you are posting to attache a pic
thanks for your patients chartiet , but i'm just not any good at this stuff i can pull apart and put back together anything but when it comes to understanding this stuff it's got me beat, when i speak to jase again on skype i'll get him to run through it again with me
Australia  Offline
Old 05-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #11
chartiet
"What did he say...?"

its all good my friend. weel get there
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #12
RDozzie
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
its all good my friend. weel get there

mate it's so frustrating, sometimes i wanna belt the screen
Australia  Offline
Old 05-03-2014, 01:41 AM   #13
PommieB
Overclocker

It get's easier the more you do it, we've all had to start somewhere and we've all made mistakes, same for everybody.
Australia  Offline
Old 05-03-2014, 02:00 AM   #14
RDozzie
Learning To Overclock

knowing where to go to after the 1st step is the thing though pommie, then the 2nd 3rd and so steps is the problem i have
Australia  Offline
Old 05-03-2014, 05:01 AM   #15
RDozzie
Learning To Overclock

jase talked me through it chartiet.thanks to both for your patients
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mushkin ram cpuz memory screen shots.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	170016  
Australia  Offline
Old 05-03-2014, 06:09 AM   #16
chartiet
"What did he say...?"

so that all checks out. make sure you have the XMP profile loaded just to make sure your RAM settings are stock default. Whether you set them manually or already did the XMP profile, the settings are set to what the SPD tabs say.

Then, in the bios (if you do the XMP profile, the DRAM voltage should be the stock 1.65v) set the DRAM voltage to 1.65. Perhaps your board doesn't support that voltage but it should or it isnt set to 1.65v when you were setting up. Perhaps the stock settings is still at 1.5v. You will need to go into the bios and check. As far as I can see... you should just be able to set the voltage to 1.65v and be good in lieu of a RAM issue. Also, when setting the DRAM voltage, usually there is just one setting for all slots, so having a diff voltage on each slot doesn't happen. Looking at the SPD tab, the last column on the right are the stock settings, which each show 1.65v. Again, in the bios, check/set the DRAM voltage and timings to stock (which they are pending voltage). Use the mobo voltage monitor in bios to see what the board is set at. report findings. it may be at 1.65v already. let us know if you have questions. no worries whatsoever
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #17
RDozzie
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
so that all checks out. make sure you have the XMP profile loaded just to make sure your RAM settings are stock default. Whether you set them manually or already did the XMP profile, the settings are set to what the SPD tabs say.

Then, in the bios (if you do the XMP profile, the DRAM voltage should be the stock 1.65v) set the DRAM voltage to 1.65. Perhaps your board doesn't support that voltage but it should or it isnt set to 1.65v when you were setting up. Perhaps the stock settings is still at 1.5v. You will need to go into the bios and check. As far as I can see... you should just be able to set the voltage to 1.65v and be good in lieu of a RAM issue. Also, when setting the DRAM voltage, usually there is just one setting for all slots, so having a diff voltage on each slot doesn't happen. Looking at the SPD tab, the last column on the right are the stock settings, which each show 1.65v. Again, in the bios, check/set the DRAM voltage and timings to stock (which they are pending voltage). Use the mobo voltage monitor in bios to see what the board is set at. report findings. it may be at 1.65v already. let us know if you have questions. no worries whatsoever
didn't know what xmp is so i looked it up and that applies to intel i read, amp is amd's style of it, i'll look in the bios and see what it's set at chart, but am pretty sure that was set prior to 1.65v
Australia  Offline
Old 05-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #18
chartiet
"What did he say...?"

ok. yea, XMP was first Intel's but now AMD's have it too. whatever its called, it does the same thing. kinda like Kleenex (tissue paper) i suppose... from the cpu-z screenie, everything looks to be in order. maybe you just saw the 1.5v columns and was puzzled. and to verify, your just understanding settings and dont have any issues, correct? those rams should be TITE!
United States  Offline
Old 05-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
RDozzie
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
ok. yea, XMP was first Intel's but now AMD's have it too. whatever its called, it does the same thing. kinda like Kleenex (tissue paper) i suppose... from the cpu-z screenie, everything looks to be in order. maybe you just saw the 1.5v columns and was puzzled. and to verify, your just understanding settings and dont have any issues, correct? those rams should be TITE!
no i dont seem to have any issues with the ram but am puzzled by the diff v readings from slot b1 too b2, i though b1 should be reading 1.65 as well

Additional Comment:

Quote:
i looked in the bios settings for the ram and its set @ 2133 mhz and 1.65v thanks for your help

Last edited by RDozzie; 05-03-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Australia  Offline
Old 05-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #20
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDozzie View Post
jase talked me through it chartiet.thanks to both for your patients

Nice. I like Mushkin Ram. It humps with ease.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply