EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Cases, Case Accessories, Case Modding

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
smarcaz
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Copper Case (aprox 40kg). Need help.

Hey, after i saw that fully passive cooled pc (no fan, no water loops, pumps, etc!) on linustechtips video (not sure if i am allowed to post the link here.. just search it on youtube) , i decided to build one by myself.
Ok, the cpu, gpu, mobo chipset, ram memory will be cooled off. But my biggest consern is: does the rest of the parts from the mobo (like resistors) will survive in a completly fanless and sealed case?
From my experience, there are two probabilities:
1. Those parts will overheat and will burn.
2. They will warm up until they reach a temp and they just stay at that temperature without any damage.
So what do you think, people?
Romania  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

It’s all about how much heat you are moving from one area to another!
Latent heat stays put for example the heating in one room is 25C the case only produces 20C of heat the sensors of that computer case will show 25C.
Conversely if your copper pipes throw out 50C and the room is only 20C then dependent upon surface area and speed of being transferred it should be lower than 50C as this is equalising into the surrounding cooler air in the room.
To make this work without fans really depends upon the amount of heat produced over how much time this heat is generated and how hot is ambient temperatures.
I'm building a copper case, but in reality unless I attach a radiator the size of the case to itself the heat will be saturated and keep climbing unless I move it to another place! i.e. into a room with fans LOL.
I suggest the best way is to stick a radiator outside in shade so natural winds act as the fan winter is best for Ghetto cooling LOL
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 03-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Please link to the video
United States  Offline
Old 03-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Linus is a tool.
Believe only half of what you see and none of what you hear.
United States  Offline
Old 03-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
Hickeydog
Terrible Human Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
Linus is a tool.
Why? Because he said C++ is complete crap?
United States  Offline
Old 03-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #6
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Please link to the video
https://youtu.be/9PJOrfpiVwE
Maybe this? Rad is the size of the case LOL weight oh dear!
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 03-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
smarcaz
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperjay View Post
https://youtu.be/9PJOrfpiVwE
Maybe this? Rad is the size of the case LOL weight oh dear!
Exactly, that's the video! And this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug9Tk7T043c

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperjay View Post
It’s all about how much heat you are moving from one area to another!
Latent heat stays put for example the heating in one room is 25C the case only produces 20C of heat the sensors of that computer case will show 25C.
Conversely if your copper pipes throw out 50C and the room is only 20C then dependent upon surface area and speed of being transferred it should be lower than 50C as this is equalising into the surrounding cooler air in the room.
To make this work without fans really depends upon the amount of heat produced over how much time this heat is generated and how hot is ambient temperatures.
I'm building a copper case, but in reality unless I attach a radiator the size of the case to itself the heat will be saturated and keep climbing unless I move it to another place! i.e. into a room with fans LOL.
I suggest the best way is to stick a radiator outside in shade so natural winds act as the fan winter is best for Ghetto cooling LOL
Thanks for answering. The only way to be sure i will not burn my pc, is to build the case (or atleast a part of it) and test it wit a scrap pc ( apparently i got one that collecting dust for years)..
I was thinking to build small heatsinks for every part of the mobo (litteraly, every chip, every resistor, every diode, etc) and then to put a heatpipe on all those heatsinks to transfer the heat to the case walls.
Here's my 3d prototype

Last edited by smarcaz; 03-22-2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Romania  Offline
Old 03-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #8
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickeydog View Post
Why? Because he said C++ is complete crap?
No.
Why, is he your hero or something?
Jayztwocents is a buffoon too.
United States  Offline
Old 03-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #9
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
No.
Why, is he your hero or something?
Jayztwocents is a buffoon too.
I somewhat know him his studio is about 10 minutes from here he struck me as a pretty nice guy just doing his job. Granted his style isn't for everyone lol.
Canada  Offline
Old 03-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #10
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarcaz View Post
Exactly, that's the video! And this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug9Tk7T043c

Additional Comment:

Thanks for answering. The only way to be sure i will not burn my pc, is to build the case (or atleast a part of it) and test it wit a scrap pc ( apparently i got one that collecting dust for years)..
I was thinking to build small heatsinks for every part of the mobo (litteraly, every chip, every resistor, every diode, etc) and then to put a heatpipe on all those heatsinks to transfer the heat to the case walls.
Here's my 3d prototype
A good indicator for you is modern day motherboards that have lots of heat sinks and shielding unless you do some serious overclocking those stock caps and transistors should not over heat and heat always rises upwards!

As for Linus in that vid I found it weird he did the thermo imaging in open warehouse with lots of ventilation and to use HFC's to create semi phase liquid cooling to vapour and back again under little pressure is not new it’s not efficient. Shuttle’s heat pipe works like that, but a fan is needed due to limited surface area in getting rid of heat!
I can guess the inventor of that massive cool box owned 1980's amplifers which genraly had massive heat sinks to cool circuit boards for amps
United Kingdom  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply