EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Cases, Case Accessories, Case Modding

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 08-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
AMD_RTP_iWC
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Vertical GPU orientation - the sky's the limit??

So was browsing around MNPCtech's site as you do, looking for inspiration (and all the things my wallet says no to) and noticed he's made some new GPU mounting brackets that mount to a 120mm fan mounting (used on the Star Wars build recently). Got me thinking about how changing orientation of your expensive gpu is such a easy mod to show it off to full effect, and also a few ideas for next build (crossfired watercooled Polaris hanging from the top radiator mounts anyone?).

To me it's nice to have the option to put the gpu somewhere other than the pcie area and opens up some fun tubing routes. Not everyone's got access to a metalshop to repurpose pcie mounts (or wants to cut their $$ case up).

This giving anyone else tingles of inspiration? Front-mounted GPU for a VR-box maybe?

VERTICAL GPU MOUNT
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 08-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
CybrSlydr
Special Fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_RTP_iWC View Post
So was browsing around MNPCtech's site as you do, looking for inspiration (and all the things my wallet says no to) and noticed he's made some new GPU mounting brackets that mount to a 120mm fan mounting (used on the Star Wars build recently). Got me thinking about how changing orientation of your expensive gpu is such a easy mod to show it off to full effect, and also a few ideas for next build (crossfired watercooled Polaris hanging from the top radiator mounts anyone?).

To me it's nice to have the option to put the gpu somewhere other than the pcie area and opens up some fun tubing routes. Not everyone's got access to a metalshop to repurpose pcie mounts (or wants to cut their $$ case up).

This giving anyone else tingles of inspiration? Front-mounted GPU for a VR-box maybe?

VERTICAL GPU MOUNT
I've been interested in the open frame type cases recently.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ase&Submit=ENE

They also have the benefit of having vertically mounted GPUs. However, that tradeoff is in a horizontally mounted CPU/HSF.

However, it interests me simply due to ease of cable management and ease of getting to all the parts. Yeah, it has a very industrial, non-artistic look, but I think the ease of access and open airflow trump busted knuckles.
United States  Offline
Old 08-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

There are the PCI-E Ribbon cables too, Jayz did a video on them and found that they make largely no difference in terms of performance.
United States  Offline
Old 08-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizzo View Post
There are the PCI-E Ribbon cables too, Jayz did a video on them and found that they make largely no difference in terms of performance.
They are fairly pricey though if you need more than one would get expensive 55-60$/each if I remember correct.
United States  Offline
Old 08-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Under $20 if you don't care about brand. $30 if you do.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16812198037

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16812183053

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
United States  Offline
Old 08-02-2017, 10:04 PM   #6
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizzo View Post
Under $20 if you don't care about brand. $30 if you do.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16812198037

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16812183053

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neat, alot less expensive than it was in the past (fyi the 30$ one is 8" vs 4" for the 20$ one thats part of the reason for the price disparity likely)
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply