EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Official EOC Folding @ Home Team

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-15-2015, 02:03 AM   #1
sysigy
Abandon All Hope!

F@H Keeps Crashing

Not sure what's changed but every morning for the past few days I have came in to find my F@H client locked up / crashed.

As a result my PPD has been practically zero for several days now.

Anyone else having an issue

ADDITIONAL COMMENT:

Logs show no errors.

Crashes seem to be occurring whilst the Core's are updating to a new Work Unit after the previous is finished.

Last edited by sysigy; 12-15-2015 at 02:12 AM.
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-15-2015, 03:25 AM   #2
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

Check your Event Viewer in the Control Panel. You might be able to find clues as to what is causing your crashes.

I would probably uninstall the f@h client, and remove any folders it created, then reinstall it.
United States  Offline
Old 12-15-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
iczerjones
Make it chilly

I just had this same thing happen, but on my only Windows-running node. (coincidentally, the one with twin Tesla K80s! )

The advanced viewer was open and all threads were just sitting there with the actual F@H process long dead and gone. This happened on day 1 of a 10 day business trip.

When I got back, I just fired it right up, no reboots or process killing and it came up fine. Not sure what the deal was. It has been running without issue since.

All my Linux nodes were chugging along just fine.
United States  Offline
Old 12-16-2015, 02:21 AM   #4
sysigy
Abandon All Hope!

Reinstalled my F@H client, it all fired up correctly so I left it running overnight. Came in this morning to find once again the Advanced Control is locked up and the core's frozen.

Once again, nothing in the logs, nothing in the Event Viewer.

It also will not restart, when I kill off the applications in Task Manager and restart the F@H Client the FAHControl is all disabled with a status of Updating Inactive and nothing happens.

Additional Comment:

Deleting the Cores and Work Unit folders has allowed me to restart the F@H Client

Last edited by sysigy; 12-16-2015 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
jimh425
Fold more - bark less

Are you trying to fold CPU, GPU, or both? I deleted my files a while back and had a hard time getting GPU back.

This is from my previous post here on another thread.

I just got a solution. Funny how it was so hard to find such an easy solution. The GPUs.txt that was created as part of the install was empty. Replacing got the file got the detection to work. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/...or-desktop-pc/

Anyway, back to folding both GPUs now.
United States  Offline
Old 12-17-2015, 02:28 AM   #6
sysigy
Abandon All Hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh425 View Post
Are you trying to fold CPU, GPU, or both? I deleted my files a while back and had a hard time getting GPU back.

This is from my previous post here on another thread.

I just got a solution. Funny how it was so hard to find such an easy solution. The GPUs.txt that was created as part of the install was empty. Replacing got the file got the detection to work. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/...or-desktop-pc/

Anyway, back to folding both GPUs now.
They both start up now but the CPU slot seems to crash whilst trying to update to a new work unit.

No issues last night though, came in this morning to find it still running properly which is the first time in a few days.

Haven't done anything other than delete the previous WU's to get it started again but I have tried that before and after a day or so it started freezing up again.

Will keep an eye on it.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #7
iczerjones
Make it chilly

Update related to yours: My CPU slot on that system is also not updating. It seems to not be able to pull a new WU from the assignment server. Not sure if it is related, but it's a pain in the *** none the less. I've attempted to purge the existing WU as well as removing and re-adding the CPU slot to no avail. =/

Moar update! lol.. after 2 days of WU limbo and literally 2 minutes after posting that, the CPU slot for the dual E5-2660v3's fired up again! (yay!)

Last edited by iczerjones; 12-17-2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: update
United States  Offline
Old 12-18-2015, 02:05 AM   #8
sysigy
Abandon All Hope!

2nd morning in a row mine has been fine now. Maybe we just had some dodgy WU's or something but seems to have cleared so far and all is working as normal again.

Hopefully it lasts as I am soon to have 4 weeks with this client completely unattended whilst I am away.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
iczerjones
Make it chilly

Fingers crossed - I'm in the same boat. Going on vacation for a week, then visiting my employers HQ for yet another week. Hopefully this was just a minor goof.

At the very least, time to get remote access set up.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply