EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Phase Change, Dry Ice, LN2, Other Crazy Stuff

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
boshuter
Overclocker

10K BTU Rotary Single Stage

Well I finally got around to putting a single stage together from parts I'd been saving. I'd planned on doing this a few months ago, but some health problems forced me to postpone it until now. The system has been brazed up and under vacuum for almost a month and I finally got around to charging it a couple days ago with an initial charge. It sat for 2 weeks with the initial charge until last night when I started trying to tune it for load.

I'll put the specs here and then the preliminary results of my load testing, along with some questions I have and maybe some of you can help me out with finishing it up.

Reichi (sp?) 10K BTU Rotary Compressor
9"X11"X3" 36pass condensor with 5/16" tubing
8" 110v pedestal fan
Chilly1 evap
7' .031 cap tube
1"X6" accumulator with cap tube coiled inside
r507

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can, looks pretty messy though with wiring running everywhere. Once it's tuned I'll clean up the wiring and shoot a little paint on it.

Additional Comment:

Ok, on to the testing. I bolted it to my load tester last night and found that one of my cartridge heaters wasn't working. For now I'm limited to 250w until I can get a replacement. I want to tune for 300w minimum when done.

When I initially charged the unit a couple weeks ago, I put in about 110psi static of pure r507. It would pull down to -65-70c unloaded and in very deep vacuum.

I put it under 250w load and started adding gas slowly. Here are the numbers I'm getting at this point. I have a couple of questions about these results that I hope you guys can answer.

250w load
Static (after overnight cool down) 165psi
-42c (holds that for hours without wavering)
low side 5hg vacuum
high side 200psi
gas entering condensor 51c
gas exiting condensor 28c (very close to ambient)
ambient 27.8c
unloaded temp after stabilizing -48c
compressor temp at hottest point 71c

I can't say I'm unhappy with the results, but am really not sure about a couple of things. When I remove the load, the low and high side pressures really don't change, it just gets about 6deg colder. It almost seems like it's just idling with the 250watt load. This is the largest compressor/condenser setup I've ever used and it just acts like it has a LOT more capacity left. I may be wrong, that's why I'm asking for your input.

Let me know what you think, any suggestions, comments, etc. I'm really not sure how to proceed without another load tester, and since I'm really not planning on doing many more builds, I hate to spend the money on more stuff.

Last edited by boshuter; 10-16-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 10-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Witchdoctor
"Think"

The heck with the load tester

Strap it on to your rig and see what is does loaded

Have to say with that Compressor I think it is a fair assumption there is more in the tank.

you may have to play with the cap tube length and the charge a bit. I have only ever built one so I am no expert by any stretch, just saying what I had to do.

With that compressor though I think you could get it to hold -50 to -55C loaded

Pics FTW
United States  Offline
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

Hey Bo.. long time no see, great to see you building again!

Most rotaries are capable of deep vacuum, what separates them apart is their capacity at very low back pressure conditions. Some will have extended capacity into slight vacuum.. some just hit a wall around 0psi. You may just have a normal 10k btu rotary there.

I've tried the submerged captube before.. great for high capacity but limits temps at lower loads. In addition to that, the unit may already have a heavy tune(over 250w) which will limit unloaded temp. Probe contact and positioning on the evap can make a 1-3c difference too. Use a dab of thermal paste on the probe and tape it tightly to the side of the evap... maybe 1/4" up from the base. Double it back on itself and tape again so it can't be pulled out. Btw.. I use Gorilla or 3m cloth tape for that.

The data looks right on par for a normal 10k rotary if it already has a heavy tune. I guess we'll have to wait and see what it does at 300w. You can expect somewhere around -35c to -40c @ 300w(continuous load tester). That captube size of 7ft of .031" is pushing it for 300w though.. hopefully the extra subcooling will allow it. As far as capacity at -50c.. I suppose if you capped and tuned for just 250w then might approach that. I have to ask.. why a 300w tune? What's it going to cool?

Looking forward to some pics!
United States  Offline
Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
boshuter
Overclocker

Hey Drew, glad to be back, not sure I'm back to building though. Was just planning on unloading a bunch of parts that I had in stock and getting out of it alltogether when this guy contacted me about building him a benching unit that would hold 300w. I haven't been keeping up on the new processors, so I have no clue what kind of load they are putting out. I do know he has an Intel hex core, but not sure what he is wanting this unit for. I know the guy benches with LN2 because he bought my stainless dewar, I think he just wants the phase unit for quick cpu tests before he gets them real cold.

I'm pretty happy with how it's working, and it may be good for 300w just the way it is now. There is really nothing more I can do until I replace my cartridge heater. I would be satisfied with -35c at 300w if it will hold there, -40c would be great. It will still drop 1-2deg if I add a small shot of 507, I just stopped where I am because without more load I'm just working in the dark. As you say, all the numbers look great, staying in vacuum like that loaded and unloaded kind of had me scratching my head, but it's a good thing if it's normal for that size compressor. I do have the probe mounted like you said. Normally I drill a hole in the snap ring groove at the bottom of the evap just large enough for the probe tip and use thermal cement to hold it in, for testing I tape them to the side like you mentioned.

It will be a few day before I get that new heater. I may use the time to get this one cleaned up a little. The wiring is a mess, I need to redo that and shoot some paint on it. Then I'll get some pics and post them.

Thanks for the input, see you soon!

Last edited by boshuter; 10-16-2012 at 09:08 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 10-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

Just following up to see how things are going with this?

Intel hex eh.. 300w is perfect for the Gulftowns... SB-E will be about 5% less. Suction pressure will end up around 0 to +5psi at 300w load. High side may end up closer to 225-250psi. The compressor temps may approach or exceed 80c... just keep them below 90c. Lol.. obviously only for a rotary.

I take it the compressor has POE or you're using a shot of 290 with the 507?

Pics FTW!!
United States  Offline
Old 11-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
boshuter
Overclocker

Hey Drew. Sorry for no update, I've been busy and haven't gotten around to adding the new cartridge heater to my load tester, so nothing new to post yet.

Those numbers are about what I was expecting. The only one I didn't have a clue about was how much load the hex core would produce (people tend to over-exagerate loads sometimes ). If it does 300w and suction stays at 0-5psi I'll be happy with the performance, and from the results so far, I'd say that is definitely doable.

I'll try to get this moving and get some pics up soon.

BTW: I am using a shot of propane for oil return. The compressor was for an r22 system, so I imagine it has mineral oil in it.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply