EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Phase Change, Dry Ice, LN2, Other Crazy Stuff

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
JackNorris
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Phase build queries (tools/components)

I am finally going to take the plunge and build my first SS phase change unit, I have been planning this for a while but I have never actually gotten around to it. I'll probably stick to chilling water for now and move to direct die later on

The first query I have is with the brazing torch. Most of the guides are pre 2008 and they suggest MAPP gas but as far as I can tell it was discontinued in 2008, the replacement's such as MAPP/PRO don't burn as hot. Will I be okay with the MAPP/PRO gas or will I need to get an MAPP/OXYGEN kit? I'd prefer to stay away from an acetylene setup if possible .

The second query is in regards to the condenser coil, is there any particular place I should be looking for one of these? My searching attempts have been fairly fruitless so far, I have found a couple of websites that sell them but I can't help thinking that I am searching for the wrong thing or in the wrong place. Perhaps a coil from a car AC system would suffice? Please bear in mind that I am from the UK, household AC systems aren't that common over here and window units are practically scarce so salvaging from one of those might be take me a while and I've spent long enough dithering about with this project .

This may be an on going question thread, so thanks in advance for your patience and any help you can provide!
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-31-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
Witchdoctor
"Think"

Acetylene = WIN

Under The Ice has a lot of stuff

http://under-the-ice.com/product_inf...roducts_id=163

Here are some already made, this guy knows what he is doing and will deliver a great product, may be cheaper in the long run to just out rite by a direct die and skip the water chiller hangups altogether

http://under-the-ice.com/index.php?cPath=52
United States  Offline
Old 12-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
JackNorris
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the reply Witchdoctor .

I'm sure acetylene is win but the investment seems quite high for that bit of kit alone and I would have to store the tanks somewhere safe outside. It seems a bit extreme/overcomplicated if I can use the smaller torch with similar results.

I have seen the under-the-ice site before and I may have to resort to getting a condenser from there but I was hoping to find something a bit closer to home to save on shipping time and costs. I know buying pre built will be cheaper especially since I am needing to buy all the tools in first but I'd prefer to build it my self just for the educational value alone.

Just to respond to the part about water chilling/direct die. The only reason for chilling water at the moment is for the greater heat capacity, if I tune it right and have a large enough insulated reservoir I figure I can have some compressor down time whereas with direct die I would end up cycling the compressor far too quickly or leaving it on all the time and burning through electricity.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Witchdoctor
"Think"

I am sorry, I am in the Plumbing and HVAC industry, so I assume everyone has tools I take for granite.

I use direct die personally as it solves a lot of mess and space. I completely understand the implications of the electric bill and how water storage can help ..........

Sounds like you have a solid approach, but can't help thinking tearing down a window unit would not be a better more economical solution for a chiller unit as coils will be larger and if done carfully the factory charge can be used. depending on what refigerant you are using it can get expensive.

Any who best of luck and look forward to some pics of your system
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply