EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Phase Change, Dry Ice, LN2, Other Crazy Stuff

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 08-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
baldrick
Canon? Apple?

Phase Change and Extreme Cooling links, guides + galleries

1. Phase Change
    *********Please Read this, this, this, this and this before attempting to build anything*********

• Prebuilt

If you dont feel upto building your own unit you can always buy a unit, the two large commercial manufacturers are Vapochill and Prometeia.
      OCZ displayed a prototype unit however due to difficulties these have disappeared. You can sometimes find Kryotech units on Ebay, Kryotech.

The other option is to get a unit hand built for you, the price and workmanship vary depending on the builder but reccomended are, in the US Drewmeister or jinu117, in the UK Gray Mole, in Europe LittleDevil or Australia Kayl. They will also be able to mod existing systems with upgrades such as new evaps, different gases or new compressors.

2. Water Chiller

A chiller is very similar in principle to a direct die phase change unit except that instead of the evapourater cooling the cpu directly it instead cools water which is then used to cool the cpu just like a conventional water cooling setup (insulation will be need though if low temps are wanted ). An option with a chiller that is not possible with direct die is to use a window air-con unit without as much work as a usual phase change system. Two of the best guides/links for a/c chillers are drewmeisters guide and eboy0s waterchiller build log.

3. Chillbox

The basis of a chillbox is an insulated, airtight case in which the air is cooled, usually by an airconditioning unit with the evapourater in the case. As the case is sealed there is no need for insulation and is the cheapest way to achieve sub zero temps. Edfx21's build thread is full of useful information.

4. Dice/LN2

Dry Ice or “dice” and LN2 are the two other options and simple, a container such as this one, insulating materials and a supply of dice or LN2. Condensation is the biggest problem with cooling at these temperatures (see insulating links). With dice you will need a liquid to help conduct heat between the solid dry ice and the pot, acetone, everclear or ethenol are the common liquids. Note that when dice sublimes it produces CO2 so there should always be plenty of ventilation to prevent potentially deadly consequences. The problem with dice/ln2 is that they cannot be used for any length of time so are just for benching.

For a good idea of what benching with LN2 is like there is an excellent video here, there is also a great DICE video here. THG also did a LN2 5ghz run a few years ago and have a video here.

5. Gallery

6. FAQ
    • Can I put my pc in a mini-fridge?

This is perhaps the most common question on the forum, the answer is 99% of the time no. Cheap mini fridges use peltiers which, whilst can be used to cool a cpu or gpu, the ones found in mini fridges are no where near powerful enough to cool even a cool running chip. The more expensive mini-fridges do use a vapour change system however they are not designed to run for long periods of time and are not powerful enough to remove the quantity of heat (remember the difference between heat and temperature!) as food doesnt tend to produce much heat.
      The compressors have sometimes been used in single stage phase change systems but these have never been a success.

• Can I submerge my pc in a non conductive liquid and then cool the liquid?

This is another common question, while it can be done it is not really reccomended due to the mess and smell that the usual liquids (various cooking/mineral oils) have, it is very difficult to remove the oil from components and you will not be able to resell components. A much better idea is a chillbox.

• Where can I get components for a phase change system?

Quote:
      Originally Posted by jinu117
      General Parts Store Links
      Ebay is also the other good place for components. Other sources of components are more local, try looking in HVAC shops and in local dumps (for broken/unwanted fridges/ac units/water chillers – remember to always make sure you recover gas correctly and not vent cfcs when taking components).
      Another source is forum sales areas (especially on XS ).

• Can I build a water chiller that runs just warm enough to avoid condensation/at what temperature will condensation occur?

Yes you can build a chiller that stays just warm enough to avoid condensation, the temperature at which condensation occurs is known as the dew point. Below is a rough guide to at what temperature it occurs but it is a rough guide and as always with this kind of thing it can be inaccurate and you always want to leave some leway instead of dead components.

• Whats the best way to insulate components?

• What is the difference between a single stage, autocascade and cascade?

Diagrams and information in here (Excuse the polish )

• What are the mounting hole dimensions for socket LGA/A/478/939/AM2?

Last edited by baldrick; 08-29-2007 at 08:46 AM.
England  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 08-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
gunbo13
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Not a bad overview. I like it. It could draw people into an interest in phase change. The only thing is they have to be prepared to learn 1000x more information then this. This isn't like water/air cooling.
United States  Offline
Old 08-18-2006, 11:12 PM   #3
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

Without a doubt this must be stickied. Thanks for taking the time to prepare this...excellent job baldrick!
United States  Offline
Old 08-26-2006, 10:19 PM   #4
DeepFriedCPU
King of Black Friday

baldrick...the king of internet resources
ALL FOLKS TOO LAZY TO SEARCH FOR NEWS AND RESOURCES BOW DOWN
United States  Offline
Old 08-28-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
Lurid
Mississippi State

Sticky material for sure, read through everything and i'm very impressed with the work you put into making sure everything was there
United States  Offline
Old 08-29-2006, 12:25 AM   #6
Shyfty
Overclocking 2 Learn

Nice work! I'll give my vote for sticky.

Baldrick... My old water cooler conversion thread may be useful to those who are looking for a sub ambient chiller option... see my sig.

Edit: Would it be useful to put a few contact names on there for individuals looking to purchase a unit or have an existing one modded?
Canada  Offline
Old 09-05-2006, 01:00 PM   #7
baldrick
Canon? Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyfty View Post
Nice work! I'll give my vote for sticky.

Baldrick... My old water cooler conversion thread may be useful to those who are looking for a sub ambient chiller option... see my sig.
Added

Quote:
Edit: Would it be useful to put a few contact names on there for individuals looking to purchase a unit or have an existing one modded?
I already put this:
Quote:
The other option is to get a unit hand built for you, the price and workmanship vary depending on the builder but reccomended are, in the US Drewmeister or jinu117, in the UK Gray Mole, in Europe LittleDevil or Australia Kayl.
Do you think this is ok or should it be refined more?

Thanks to everyone for their comments but more links/pics/guides/anything else are always wanted, if you have any give me a shout

Additional Comment:
Thanks to Jason for stickying this

Last edited by baldrick; 09-05-2006 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
England  Offline
Old 10-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Citat3962
NVidiot

Overwhelmingly nice thread man!

Overwhelming because I now have TON of reading to do.
United States  Offline
Old 10-29-2006, 06:51 AM   #9
baldrick
Canon? Apple?

Go away for a week and lots of new threads come along

If any have been missed shout up.
England  Offline
Old 10-29-2006, 07:32 AM   #10
magg
Senior EOCF Addict

Just an FYI...add an "s" to the end of your List of Refrigerants link...it doesn't work unless you put the S there
Iraq  Offline
Old 11-05-2006, 02:21 PM   #11
baldrick
Canon? Apple?

Fixed that and just added SoddemFXs Guide, if you havent seen it before definately worth a look
England  Offline
Old 05-26-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Defo worth stickie Baldrick welldone you cared enough to stick my old DD unit?

But on a big note phase cooling is hard work, doing it safetly if you in doubt about pressures and chemicals PLEASE CONSULT A EXPERIENCED MEMEBER on EOCF before you start to braze away its in your interest to keep safe!
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 11-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
BluD
Learning To Overclock

Nice thread, makes a interesting read, ive had this mach for 4 or 5 years and ive never known how it works, i just knew it had a hot and a cold end, and the cold end goes on my cpu.

good work.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 04-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #14
baldrick
Canon? Apple?

Just stumbled on this section, my comp interests have changed and I have noticed a number of new posts. Does anyone who is a senior member and regular poster in this section wish to take control of this sticky?
England  Offline
Old 04-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #15
joostie12345
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

hey,

I'm quite new here but I want to build my own phase-change cooling system. But the part where you say read this, this this, and this before you build anything doesn't work anymore. you get a vbulletin message which says "upgrades". but anyway this is a great startingpoint for me:)
Netherlands  Offline
Old 04-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #16
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

Those are links to threads at xtremesystems forum which has been down for a few days now. Hopefully it will be back up within the next few days.

Welcome to EOCF!
United States  Offline
Old 04-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #17
joostie12345
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

okay thanks
Netherlands  Offline
Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 PM   #18
beebsincown
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

thanks

Sorry, submit in the PM form - Iíve clarified this in the post.
Abu Dhabi  Offline
Old 06-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #19
Boorchmen
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Your are Great. And so is your site! Awesome content. Good job guys! Interesting article, adding it to my favourites!
Abu Dhabi  Offline
Old 06-27-2009, 04:12 AM   #20
IceDragon
EOCF Dragon Mascot

Thanks for the useful guide. ukphasechange.co.uk is down and Extremeshop.Gr is reported by google as being an attack site.
England  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply