EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Phase Change, Dry Ice, LN2, Other Crazy Stuff

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 10-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #1
ulticool
Learning To Overclock

Chiller making popping noises?

For some reason my chiller started making popping noises two days ago. When the compressor kicked on while playing games it sounded like it was popping popcorn. The compressor wasn't even warm to the touch wasn't loaded hardly at all.. I shut down and tried again still does it..

Is it low on refrigerant or something?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 10-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
flocko
Learning To Overclock

Can you tell the forum a bit about the system . Like some specs ?

Popping noise could be the compressor is flooding with liquid refrigerant . If the unit is running and does not have enough load to evaporate the refrigerant then the refrigerant will be sent (sucked) back to the compressor as a liquid . There are two things a compressor cannot compress , air and liquid !

Can you load the refrigeration unit with a source that will create more of a load (heat) ? See if it goes away with greater load .

Is it low on refrigerant ? Most likely not .... if anything , it would be overcharged for the current low load condition which as you you stated "wasn't loaded hardly at all" . However , if you impose a greater load, then (depending on evaporator temps , super heat and sub cooling ) you could be undercharged .

Need more info about the system first though .

-Flocko

Last edited by flocko; 10-26-2011 at 03:43 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 10-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

I'm assuming this is the chiller I built you. It sounds like the TXV is overfeeding the evaporator causing floodback. That could be due to decreased water/coolant flow through the loop, dirty condenser/faulty fan or a problem with the TXV or sensing bulb.

1) What is the coolant temperature when this occurs? Does it happen when the coolant is at room temperature? Which coolant?

2) Is the insulation still intact on the TXV's sensing bulb? The Bulb is located on the suction line exiting the top of the tank, right above the pump. See Pic.

3) Check the flowrate through the evap and your loop.

4) Insure that the condenser is clean and that the fan is operating properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sensing Bulb 1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	160741  
United States  Offline
Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
ulticool
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewmeister View Post
I'm assuming this is the chiller I built you. It sounds like the TXV is overfeeding the evaporator causing floodback. That could be due to decreased water/coolant flow through the loop, dirty condenser/faulty fan or a problem with the TXV or sensing bulb.

1) What is the coolant temperature when this occurs? Does it happen when the coolant is at room temperature? Which coolant?

2) Is the insulation still intact on the TXV's sensing bulb? The Bulb is located on the suction line exiting the top of the tank, right above the pump. See Pic.

3) Check the flowrate through the evap and your loop.

4) Insure that the condenser is clean and that the fan is operating properly.
1) Coolant temps get to about 17*c and the chiller kicks in and brings it back down to 9-10*c.

2) Insulation looks good, looks just the way you sent it.

3) Getting just under 4 gallons per minute through the loop. This is with both Iwaki's running.

4) No dust in the condenser fins and the fan is working good it looks like.

I have it on right now and it's not making the popping noises when the compressor kicks on.. same room temps and humidity and the chiller is set the same. I don't get it..

Additional Comment:

Well there it did it again chiller temps on the display were 16*c compressor kicked on and it started popping and stopped after 6 maybe 7 seconds.

Last edited by ulticool; 10-27-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

If the popping sound only lasts a few seconds upon startup then that would be transient liquid floodback. Why it started now after 1 1/2 yrs of operation... probably just wear on the TXV or some debris. A rotary compressor is much more tolerant to this than a recip.

I'll need you to test the unit under load at a setpoint of 23c, check for floodback and log compressor temps at the beginning(startup), middle and end of each cooling cycle. The load can be gaming or just loop Vantage. Run it for a few hours.

This will place a huge load on the chiller and will give us an idea how the txv is functioning. Stop test if compressor temp exceeds 90c or if the popping sound lasts longer than 15 seconds.

Btw, what is your room temp and approximately how long is the average off cycle? Have you added any extra fans to the unit?

EDIT: Sorry.. I meant a set point of 18c. We want the chiller to cycle On at approx 23c to 26c and OFF at 18c.

Last edited by Drewmeister; 10-28-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: 18c set point
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply