EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Phase Change, Dry Ice, LN2, Other Crazy Stuff

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #21
Scilya
Running System Stock

max low end temp is 51 that i have seen tho it normaly goes to about -44/46 the man thing was i noticed it getting warmer for instance if you look at my first post

"now running prime 95 as expected the evap temp went down just holding arround 41 right now "

i beleve i was at 4.2 then, right now im at stock 3.6 and holding at -39.9 and when i was first running my 4.7 i was still at -41 you could be right in the bad mount thing that could call for the lower temps also the thermal paste has had time to wear in. and maybe im biehng paranoid but this is my first dive in to phase so i want to make sure.

it is tuned for 280W but as i started this thread for the temp in the bios is VASTLY different from my evap temp i have ai suite so i can see it like it is in the bios but watching in the bios when i did your cpu heat test it was the same. evap is now at -40.5 and holding (infact starting to get colder) (stock) the cpu temp sensor is reading -11 i have checked and checked again the mount is on secure and is tight. will go put my 5.2 back on and get you cpuz screenshots

OK so just went and tried for a while, can no longer get over 5.1 instant blue screen at 5.2 the evap was about 5 degrees colder when i did it before also makeing ALOT of feedback sounds im uploading a short 1 min vid now ull have to turn the sound up i think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPB4uNYovWY

Last edited by Scilya; 12-03-2011 at 01:58 AM.
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #22
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

I just viewed your test video and it sounds like there is mild floodback. Either your cpu isn't generating enough heat at idle for the 280w tune.. or you have a bad mount. The popping goes away under load correct? I never liked using springs when mounting evaps. Personally I'd just remove the springs and torque the thumbnuts down very tight.

Are you sure the condenser fan is running at 100% speed at all times? More airflow might help temps and reduce floodback.

Make sure to disable C1E, Cool and Quiet in the bios.

So what is the max stable speed now?
United States  Offline
Old 12-04-2011, 03:34 AM   #23
Scilya
Running System Stock

ok so i unseated the evap and removed the insulation around it, if you look at the picture it looks like it could have stopped it makeing full contact maybe so right now the sleeve around the evap is all it is its a long piece so its airtight around the evap-motherbord
also took the springs off and keep checking to see if there is any slack i keep getting an extra 1/8th turn out of them every so often

im not 100% sure if the condenser fan is full speed it runs independent of the pc and this dident come with instructions so i have no way of knowing what its set at

yes those bios options are of course disabled this is my first time at phase change not overclocking

as for max stable speed how do you define stable? i look at it as surviving 20 mins of prime95 if im going to use it for extended ammounts of time.
for desktop stableish its 5.1 right now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0138[1].jpg
Views:	87
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	161300   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139[1].jpg
Views:	88
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	161301  
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #24
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

I agree, it looks like the evap was lifting on the upper edge. Sounds like you're taking care of that.

I meant how high can you clock it using the same stress test you did for the 4.7Ghz? My 965 rig is just used for benching/gaming so doesn't need prime stable. I just clock it per application. I found if it can pass a 1024m wPrime then it's stable enough for all benchmarks and games.

If you get a chance.. post up a 32m & 1024m wPrime.
United States  Offline
Old 12-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #25
Scilya
Running System Stock

ok so been benching today got a nice result see pic anyway phase unit was running great for the past fiew hours and then i turned it off for a fiew mins and tuned it back on and started getting floodback and the case temp which was staying at 28/29 is now at 32 and i have noticed that i dont get any floodback if my case temp is below 29 for some reason or rather i dont get alot maybe the odd pop every now and again
anyways ill go do those outher benchmarks now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	woot13.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	161310  
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-05-2011, 02:19 AM   #26
Scilya
Running System Stock

ok here is the wPrime results for 4.8 will see if i can get it to do 4.9

ok cant get it to 4.9 ah well im not gona complain at 4.8
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wPrime4.8.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	161311  

Last edited by Scilya; 12-05-2011 at 02:42 AM.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #27
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

The floodback will be worse upon a hot restart due to the liquid backing up in the condenser.. things should balance out overtime though. Anything you can do to reduce head pressure will help the floodback situation and temps for this cpu. You can try producing more airflow through the condenser with a pusher fan up front.. also add a fan on the compressor to help cool it down.

Very impressive clock speeds and scores on ss cooling. I'm pretty sure your 975 scales better than my 965 in that temp range.

If I'm reading correctly it says your cpu/nb voltage is 1.356v.. way too high for only 2500mhz with ss cooling. 2500 will only need maybe 1.25-1.275ish. That lower cpu/nb voltage will reduce load on the phase unit and allow a higher cpu speeds... like for cpuz. For benching/gaming(especially w/cf/sli) you'll want the nb frequency much higher. I'm pretty sure you could get at least 3000 at 1.3-1.35v.. probably end up closer to 3500.
United States  Offline
Old 12-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #28
Scilya
Running System Stock

just waiting on a new graphics card (6970) then i will do some more benching and see how much i can push the NB to, for now i have it set to 4.4@ 1.55v 200 bus and am running prime 95 in the background so thats the floodback problem sorted, altho next year ill get a hotter processor :P
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #29
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

Did you get your card yet? That's the same one I'm interested in. I'd be very interested in seeing 3dmark 06 and X3 terran conflict.

Lol.. good trick for the floodback. Did you assign a core or does it needed multi cores to prevent it?

In addition to the NB you should also look into dropping the memory clock ratio to x6.66 with tighter timings and upping the bus speed towards 250ish. HT link can stay at 2-2.3Ghz. You would be mid to low 13's on pi and easy WR for that cpu on ss cooling. Check the HWBOT for your cpu.

Good Luck!
United States  Offline
Old 12-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #30
Scilya
Running System Stock

got the card, gonna rma it -_- it randomly gets graphical errors and locks everything up was fine at first but then will lock up and the screen with go multicolourd awsomeness and i have to restart. its not a problem with dx11 i will play games fine BUT it most commonly crashes if im streaming on mega video or trying to play games that are slightly older or the free online ones that have lower specs. it wont complete the windows expirience index iether. drivers are fine, i swaped the card out for a 6770 and that sorted all the problems so its going back to dabs when i get a chance.

as for the floodback i have been running p95 with 3 cores working, still getting floodback mostly i dont get any sometimes it comes back for quite a bit.
and yeah i havent pushed the NB much yet i realy want to put a watercooling loop in before i mess more lol, still no fans and the sides are still off but i am 100% happy now there will be no drops of moisture from the evap head.
United Kingdom  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply