EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Phase Change, Dry Ice, LN2, Other Crazy Stuff

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
boshuter
Overclocker

Out of the loop for a while and have some questions.

Hi Drew and everyone. It's been a while since I've been on here or done any phase work. I went through a pretty serious health related issue the past couple of years, but things are much improved now.

I don't know if much has changed in the time I've been away. But I was asked if it was possible to build a single stage rotary benching unit that would hold a new Intel hex core running 5ghz at -40c. I know that 300+ watts is getting to be the norm for tuning, but I'm not sure how much more can be done.

Are there any new evap designs that are better at holding high loads than what we were using a couple of years ago?

Any info you can give me will be a help.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

Hey Len... it's great to hear from you again! Glad to hear you're overcoming the health issue. We're all wishing you the best.

There really hasn't been any huge advancements in evap design these past couple years. I'm using Kayl's latest rev5 evap which has added mass and surface area to deal with the larger heat loads. I've had great results with these and they are still available. I've been tuning for 300w continuous load and that is allowing at least 340w capacity during heavy bench runs without killing lowend temps too much for lighter loads. Of course these can be tuned for well over 300w continuous if needed. I'm pretty sure you know this is going to need upwards of 1hp.

Subcooling seems to really help with these heavy loads. R507 will benefit the most over other refrigerants. Nothing too aggressive like a tube in shell slhx as that will raise the lowside too much and kill temps. Just a simple little suction line heat exchange is all that's needed. Captube selection is more critical for a setup like this. A shorter more restrictive captube would be used. I can give you a good starting point on the captube size once all the parts are finalized.

Best Regards,
Drew
United States  Offline
Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
boshuter
Overclocker

Thanks Drew.

I'm checking out some compressors, I've got a couple of 9k btu sitting here, but nothing larger.

For the sub-cooling, would one of those small 1"X6" accumulators with the cap tube coiled inside work? (If you remember, I used to use those on most of my builds)

I'm sure I'll be after one of those new Kayle evaps if I get the go ahead on this build.
United States  Offline
Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

A 9K btu rotary will do around 300w @ -35c. Sub -40c needs a good 1hp like a 19cc Matsu$hita. I'll see if I can locate one for you.

I've been using a mini slhx before the captube, then just wrapping the captube around the suction line. I think the most gains come from the quality of the charge entering the metering device/captube. I'm not too sure about the submerged captube method. I've always thought the outside of the suction line offers much more surface area for cooling the captube.

Edit: Compressor Located...YGPM!

Last edited by Drewmeister; 03-09-2012 at 07:52 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
eligray
6260Mhz e8600

Drew! Len! Long time no see!

Glad to hear you're doing better Len.

Sounds like Drew's got all your questions answered (as usual), so I don't really have any phase advice to contribute. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how the build turns out if you go through with it.

It's been a couple of years since my chiller build (not much free time at college), but I still plan on getting back into phase building after college. Should be more fun than ever with REAL tools when I get back into it.

Now that it's been a few years since my build... thank you sincerely for all the advice on projects over the years. I learned a lot from it.

-Eli
United States  Offline
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

eligray also glad to see you around EOCF. How's MIT?
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 04-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

Hey Eli! Thanks for chiming in, it's really nice to see you again!

Hope all is well and that you're having a great time at MIT.

Looking forward to your next project.

-Drew
United States  Offline
Old 06-10-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
eligray
6260Mhz e8600

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiksilver View Post
eligray also glad to see you around EOCF. How's MIT?
It's a pretty incredible place, but gets pretty stressful in terms of course load and sleep schedule. There were 3 students who died of suicide, plus one recent alum who died of homicide, on MIT campus this 2011-2012 school year. That doesn't make for a happy atmosphere.

I'm taking classes back in Northern California this fall semester, and may apply to take a semester or more of UC Berkeley classes starting in the Spring. I want some time back in the Bay Area with friends, and also want to take classes here before returning to MIT for a couple years to finish my degree.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply