EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Phase Change, Dry Ice, LN2, Other Crazy Stuff

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #61
technogiant
Overclocker

Made quite some progress, I've completed the acrylic box and the insulation box is fitted inside it with the cut out made to accept the evap pipes.

I still have to make the lid and fit the gaskets...that will be tomorrow.

Also haven't run the cabling through yet. My cabling/extenders have all arrived but overclockers.co.uk messed up my fan controller order so I won't get that till next week.

No pics atm as tbh I'm embarrassed...It's very messy...I built the acrylic box around the insulation box to ensure it would fit, then when finished tried to take it out before it got stuck in there with any extraneous adhesive.
Of course when I tried to pull it out the acrylic box all came apart and I, the acrylic and the insulation box all got covered with goopp adhesive.

I'm full of ideas but my diy skills always let me down...still it's back together now even if I did have to jam the insulation box in there before I wanted to.

I't all sealed up even if messy.....I'll have to try and clean it off when its all solid, perhaps even paint the exterior.

Last edited by technogiant; 06-16-2012 at 09:38 AM.
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #62
Orthello77
Overclocker

Hey TG, all that matters is that it does the job and these sorts of things are not the easiest things to build so i wouldn't get too worried about it mate. Some have these ideas and never try them because its not easy , theres a few obstacles to overcome, but the rewards should be worth it :-)

Anyway looking forward to the pics !!
New Zealand  Offline
Old 06-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #63
technogiant
Overclocker

That's very true, I'm pleased with the way it is coming together , I would have needed to tidy it up anyway as you can see all the white adhesive joins through the clear acrylic and I want it to look at least half descent, so a paint job will cure all ill's.

I started making my cable extenders air tight last night, I've done the atx cable and additional power cable using that self amalgamating tape. Takes a lot of repeated squeezing and squashing.....I'll have forearms like popeye by the time I've finished doing my 6X pcie cable extenders.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The individual cables are just sort of set into a soild block, I'm confident no air is going to run along them.

One other thing I've worked out as regards my expansion chamber idea is that it really needs to be quite big.
Working from the below table of air volume changes with the temps we're using we are looking at about a 15% drop in air volume which with my chamber not allowing for the volume occupied by the evap and pc components is about 9 liters.
Think that highlights the need for an expansion chamber as even a small leak under suction if your running the unit for a long time will cause a large ingress of air.
So unless everything is 100% sealed....which is almost impossible I'm thinking an expansion chamber is essential.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ai...ume-d_853.html

Last edited by technogiant; 06-17-2012 at 12:55 AM.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #64
Orthello77
Overclocker

TG, some nice work on those cables. Looking very solid. I'm hoping i get mine from frozencpu soon and can start work on them.

I can see what you mean about the air volume drop , this will create the negative pressure in the chamber. Due to the extra heat exchanger and direct heat loading in my setup my air temps are not likely to be quite as cold so it may not be quite as dramatic for my setup , have to see. I guess it depends on the strength of our chambers too, if sufficiantly air tight that may be ok, but like you say any air gap and its going to suck it in. I'm going to have a digital humidity senser inside the chamber so i can tell if the M/C is increasing in there over time also.

Additional Comment:

Hey TG, is this similar to the stuff you used ?

It seems a bit thin at 0.5mm , but i'm not sure if you layered yours ?

http://www.tradetech.co.nz/site/trad...ct%20sheet.pdf

Anyway got the A/C today and cables/fans etc , so got a bit of work to do now !

Last edited by Orthello77; 06-18-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
New Zealand  Offline
Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #65
technogiant
Overclocker

I haven't got the full tech spec on mine, it is about 0.5mm - 1mm thick and I think based on rubber rather than silicone.
It also sounds similar in the way its used...but I think the only way to tell is to get a roll and try it out.

It's good news your getting your bits and pieces through, any news on the chamber yet?

I'm going to be making holes for the cables today.....little concerned about this part...don't want to ruin it now having spent so much time money and effort on it so far.

Last edited by technogiant; 06-19-2012 at 01:25 AM.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #66
Orthello77
Overclocker

Hey TG, i might get a roll to try it out, it can't hurt. Rated to -53c so it will handle the cold just fine.

Talked to the acrylic guys today, although i have a sneaky suspicion they havn't started :-( i think it may be for the best, i have made some changes to the lid to provide clasping pressure. Basically the Gasket lid (the lid will have a recess in it to form a gasket) will by wider than the casing by 10-15 mm or so, this will allow it to bolt down to solid 20x20x40 or similar notches with m4 drill holes through them that will be cemented to the acrylic. There will be 3-4 notches per side that are designed for m4 bolts. So i should be able to get good pressure on the lid now.

I just want it done already !! lol .. although realistically i'm aways of been able to fully utilize it. This weekend will just be modding the R22 A/C some more , have to grind that base off (won't be easy) and search for a chiller box that might do the trick so i have stuff to continue with anyhow.
New Zealand  Offline
Old 06-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #67
technogiant
Overclocker

That sounds like the lid is going to be very well secured/sealed.

I've just ran the main atx and atx additional power cable through the box today, I've sealed them right through the insulation box, through the acrylic box and built up 2 extra layers of acrylic on top. So in all they are passing through 5cm of insulation and 18mm of acrylic all with copious quantities of adhesive/sealant.....aint no air getting through that lot.

I'll do the 6 pcie power cables next in a similar fashion.

Additional Comment:

I'll be making the expansion chamber shortly and tbh have not been able to find anything suitable.

I'm looking for a bag/sac, that can contain about 9 liters of air....I've got a better quality plastic bag but tbh wanted something more substantial.....can't think of anything or find anything.....any ideas?

Last edited by technogiant; 06-19-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #68
Orthello77
Overclocker

Wow nearly 70mm of casing , impressive. I've got that almagamating tape coming so hope to have a play with that soon. How did you cover so much length of your cables with it, i mean its only 20mm or so once stretched out. Did you cover them length wise ??

Hmm .. need an air tight breathable bag that is reasonably thick but flexible - nothing is coming to mind unfortunately. It needs to be better than the average plastic bag, i'm thinking something like an inner tube .. rubber rather than plastic. Hmm .. possibly thats not a bad idea .. its the shape that would be the issue.
New Zealand  Offline
Old 06-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #69
technogiant
Overclocker

Well the case in general is 56mm that's with 50mm insulation and 6mm of acrylic...but I've layered up the areas where the cables go through with 2 further layers of acrylic for a better seal and more support.

As regards covering the cables I just continually wrapped them around with about a 50% overlap until I got the length covered that I wanted.

Yes it was very time consuming, monotonous and hard work on the hands squashing all the individual cables together repeatedly.....I've been doing two vga extenders an evening, striping off the braiding and wrapping them......one more to go tonight.

My fan controller arrived today....just what I wanted with 6 individual 45watt rheostats.

So I've got just about everything to complete now.....apart from the expansion bag....I'll just use a heavy duty plastic one for now till I can find something better....it's external so will be no problem to replace.

Got a couple of days off from work as well......wont be too long before I'm testing.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #70
Witchdoctor
"Think"

Nice work .............

look forward to seeing temps
United States  Offline
Old 06-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #71
Orthello77
Overclocker

TG jeez it sounds like a lot of work .. oh well there goes the weekend by the sounds of it (my almagamating tape just arrived).

Testing - nice one !! can't wait to see the results.
New Zealand  Offline
Old 06-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #72
technogiant
Overclocker

One thing I have noticed about the self amalgamating tape Orthello is that although it bonds to itself it does not bond to the substrate or cable outer case.
So there is the potential for leakage.

Make sure you wrap it tightly and cover a long length of cable. Maybe if possible find some adhesive you can coat the cable outers with first so long as it doesn't affect the tape.

I also found that once you have squeezed it all together using cable ties at several points along it's length, pulling really tight and leaving over night helps make it even tighter.

Last edited by technogiant; 06-20-2012 at 11:57 PM.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #73
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

TG.. how about using one of those large water cooler bottles for the chamber. Maybe throw some dessicants in to help keep things dry. Connect it to the chillbox with restrictive capillary tubing to regulate flow.

Nice job on the cables!

Another option you guys might want to consider for sealing the cables is to use Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant. http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut..._Sealant_b.htm
United States  Offline
Old 06-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #74
technogiant
Overclocker

That sealant looks to be good stuff...much like that liquid insulation...my psu cables are done and sealed into the box now...just wish I had a way of leak testing them out....will just have to wait till its complete to find out for sure.

So your suggesting using a large ridged water cooler bottle for the expansion chamber (or rather contraction chamber in this case)

That's something I've not considered.

But I think using a rigid chamber if its volume was large in comparison to the chamber would reduce the pressure difference with the atmosphere but it would not completely eliminate it as a collapsible one would.

I really wanted to completely remove the pressure difference as I'm sure it will find leaks with my build

Last edited by technogiant; 06-22-2012 at 01:14 AM.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #75
Orthello77
Overclocker

TG .. to test for air leaks in the chamber i would use some water in the base of the chamber .. just a little maybe 5-10 mm .. if nothing leaks then it should be airtight also . Cables are insulated so the water should do no harm to them. Actually i'm not sure where you cables come in, mine are from the base so i can use that method , If yours are from the side that may not work.
New Zealand  Offline
Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #76
technogiant
Overclocker

My cables come in from the sides..so no go with that one ....there are just so many routes that air can find its way in...especially under suction....all it needs is a tiny gap or channel and that's it, during a long gaming session all that air will just suck in....that's why I'm so determined to find an expansion/contraction bag to equalize the pressure.

I've actually just bought this:-

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...ACE+HOPPER.htm

It's perfect, just cut off the tip of the horn and jam it in the breather tube....can also pump it up to pressure test my chamber when its complete.

Additional Comment:

oooops....almost made a no no.

Just about to fix my dvi cable through the box and realized its a single link dvi.

I'll be wanting to upgrade to a 120Hz monitor in the near future......that requires the band width of a dual link dvi.

Last edited by technogiant; 06-22-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #77
Orthello77
Overclocker

Hey the horn ball could be your system mascot !! cool idea TG.

yeah im a bit paranoid ill put all those usb extenders through and one wont work or something lol .. anyway

Done the base insulation today , it went well .. i've run out of insulation and all i've done is the bottom :-( , i'm using 28mm closed cell foam i had left over from about 15 yrs ago lol .. now i have to find some more to do the sides !! wondering if i should use some silicon selant to glue it on or just double some double sided tape to hold it on, i think either would do the job .. maybe silicon a bit better ?
New Zealand  Offline
Old 06-23-2012, 06:08 AM   #78
technogiant
Overclocker

Funny you should say that Orthello, I did some cable tests yesterday and found exactly that, one of my 4 usb extenders was faulty...no signal.....also made me second think my dvi cable so my build is now waiting a a dual link dvi cable to be delivered.

Wouldn't mind that space hopper as a system mascot....especially with that old space invader theme going on.

Talking about insulation, its odd we are going about it in opposite ways, my insulation is inside and hard shell outside as opposite to your build....but for obvious reasons.

So your going to wrap your reservoir externally with insulation......have you got any plans on insulation for your chillbox?
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 06-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #79
Orthello77
Overclocker

lol !!! jeez i really will be testing all the usb extenders before they go in !!

The chamber is insulated inside like yours is, just with closed cell foam as thats what i've got lying around. I have done the base, just need to do the sides.

The resoiver i was going to add extra insulation to the outside, but i'm thinking if i can make sure it doesn't desolve it might be tidier / more use inside the resoiver. The bin is already on the large side, although its really only oversized in width, not as much as you would expect from the photos as i need atleast half to that to let the pipes route back up to top.
New Zealand  Offline
Old 06-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #80
technogiant
Overclocker

Just put my evap in the chill box....It's all lining up nicely. Waiting on that DVI cable now, already drilled the holes for it and the remaining cables from that side.....not too much more to do then....just seal in the evap pipes, run the gaskets around and some minor bits and pieces. I can get on with those while I'm waiting for the dvi cable.....hope to be testing next few days.
United Kingdom  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply