EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Phase Change, Dry Ice, LN2, Other Crazy Stuff

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 10-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
th3wood
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

CryoCool CC100-II for phase change PC Cooling

Hello All,
I am new to the forum and I have a question that I feel would be great for this group. I recently came across this laboratory immersion cooler at the local surplus store:

http://www.geminibv.nl/labware/nesla...et_language=en

For $150 I think that I could pretty easily (throw the appropriate evaporator on) make this into a 2-stage cascade phase change cooler. I was wondering if you feel that this would be a good choice to go for it is already pretty much exactly what I'd get if I built a phase change setup myself. I am also wondering about coolant choices. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Nice find. I'd add the appropriate evap head and run it as is. Experiment.
United States  Offline
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
th3wood
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I'm thinking that it may be worth it. I noticed when I was inspecting it that the cooling probe attached to the end of the hose was pretty much snapped in two (I am hoping that's the reason that they just scrapped the thing) I am not terribly experienced with running compressors and stuff like that so if I were to ask to plug it in and turn it on; would it do it any harm to suck in air to the compressors since the cooling phase change "circuit" is visibly broken at the probe head? I can't see there being much harm in it but I would like to make sure the compressors work before I pay $150 for the unit =P
United States  Offline
Old 10-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

The expense of recharging the second stage with a cold gas like the original will most likely cost several times what you paid for the unit. I'm guessing the refrigerants are r12/r134a 1st stage and r23 2nd stage. Last time I checked... r23 was over $50lb with 10lb min bottle size + regulator. If you know someone with r23 or can source some cheap then might be worth a try. You could use r410a in the second stage for a milder temp but higher capacity cascade.

Other options:
Convert 1st stage to a single stage direct die or low capacity chiller. You might even be able to convert to a chiller without any refrigeration equipment by using the inter stage heat exchanger as a liquid evap.

If the oil in the 2nd stage compressor is POE then it must be changed if that break has allowed air into the system. With that in mind, you could bump the compressor for just a "few seconds" with a rag over the break. You'll most likely need to jumper some controls to get the unit running.

Welcome to EOCF!

Last edited by Drewmeister; 10-07-2012 at 11:37 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
boshuter
Overclocker

I have 2 of those Neslab CC100's in my shed. I bought them a few years ago from the University of Iowa. Both of mine were sold because they had lost the second stage charge due to probe breakage (it's not really a probe, these are immersion coolers and the "probe" is just submerged in the liquid to be cooled). Like Drew pointed out, it would cost a fortune to recharge them (I believe Neslab charges about $600 to do it). The first stage uses r507 and the second stage uses r508b, which is even harder to find than r23. I picked them up mainly for the parts I could salvage out of them. I doubt they would have the capacity to work for hard core overclocking considering the recip compressors they use. They do have a very neat temperature control system that can just be plugged into the unit, when the controller isn't plugged in it just runs full cold.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply