EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Phase Change, Dry Ice, LN2, Other Crazy Stuff

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Need temps from people?

Right I was battling the idea to keep a rad and Evap in a sealed polycarb box for natural heat transfer which I will still do for testing purposes, but realiastion that heat is going to be better transfered with a water glyco mix submerged system. The box is going to be tiny like 260Hx100Wx200L Approx 1.3UK gallons The rad is 200mm the evap is small 150x150x50mm Copper Coil Alu fins. (TMP range (0-to-20))
I'm not going to break records with this set up is to quieten the pc set up so sub zero is not my goal.
My Eliwell will do the parameter set ups for control and it will be on a single die Rasa block.
So do you think submerged system can handle the heat loads with such small cubic space?
Temp and cubic space is what I need from people?
United Kingdom  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

For chilled liquid you should always submerge the evap for highest efficiency and performance. The evap will only handle the amount of load that it's rated and or tuned for. For example, a 5k btu a/c is rated to cool approx 1465watts to approx 7.2c. We would need to know the capacity of the a/c system and heat load.
United States  Offline
Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Hey Drew!
Mines compact Drew not designed to run for longer periods BTU calculations are based upon single die of about 400BTU per hour or 115watts I think?
BD50 is what I'm using, but have two other compressors at 5cc Danfoss. I've got alot to play with in parts but just wanted to tweek to get rid of rad heat, my other plans had been to place a secondary pump for the submerged liquid into another area to increase the heat removal, but thats after I max out on the primary heat removal.
I wanted to use a cooling plate from an ice machine to increase the surface cooling as a an evap, but getting one is hard and they not exactly compact.
As far as condensers I've got a few lying around various sizes, but my current set up is tiny as you know I'll be using a BD50! last batch of testing I did it reached about -25 comfortably I plan on switching fan cooling and submerged cooling to stop me killing the tiny unit I made, its the smallest I could go without being too intrusive LOL! TBF I'm not 100% sure what loads are going to be like @ overclock!

I've read you and most run antifreez in your block do you know the ratio? Most prople have said 25%

Max amp draw at at start up 6mps then less than 2-3 on a 24hr cycle power consumption (COP) was another goal! I'll only proberly gain a 3-5degree drop from ambient, but thats fine with me.

Last edited by clipperjay; 01-29-2013 at 03:52 AM.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

The temp range of the BD50F is -30 to 10c. It's highest capacity is 224 watts @ -5c running at 2500rpm. Of course that's with an adequately sized cond and evap. Your system may or may not see that full capacity. Either way, you could still use the unit to help reduce temps some.

The coolant mix will depend on temp range and metals in the loop. The traditional evap in res a/c chillers need a multi metal additive to prevent galvanic corrosion. The additive is usually an antifreeze like Zerex.. that can be around 10% for dissimilar metals(a/c evap).. 5% for similar metals(plate hx or copper coil evap). For +0c add to that distilled.. for sub 0c add de-icer washer fluid. Always add a biocide like PT_Nuke.

LMK what cpu and or gpu's you plan to cool. A picture of the unit would help.
United States  Offline
Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Thank you Drew for the ratios I'll be using stuff called G13 as antifreeze and was considering buying a liebeg condenser to make distilled water its been awhile since school days of distilation LOL! For now as a temp measure I have de-ironised water which is not ideal but cheap enough to test a few loop cycles.
Here is a picture of my MoBO

Here is the condensor that fan is a 120mm

Here is the evap I'll be submerging tiny thing hence not sure if a compact submerged system would cope?

My chip is a Pentium 4 EE 7.43Ghz last of the single dies'!
No GPU I'm not a gamer just like experimenting for fun.

VW G12/G13 Coolant Additive Anti-Freeze 1.5L (G12/G13)

1.5L bottle of OE Pentosin purple G12 coolant / antifreeze
Volkswagen specifies phosphate/silicate-free antifreeze in all their vehicles.
Most national brand antifreeze does not meet VW's specifications.
German Pentosin antifreeze exceeds all of Volkswagen's requirements and is neutral to metals, rubber parts and sealing materials.
Mix 50/50 with distilled water for best results
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

That cpu will be less than 200w so you should be just fine with the small evap and cond combo. I strongly suggest adding a fan shroud and space it out 1" from the fins.. that or just run 4 x 80-90mm fans with no shroud. I don't think you need to hook the gauges up yet. Just keep an eye on the compressor temps, amps and maybe liquid temps at the outlet of the condenser. You may need to put a fan on the electronic module for the compressor.

A 1gal reservoir will provide a good amount of temp buffer if you need to cycle the compressor. If you don't need to cycle the compressor then go small with res volume. You can increase the efficiency of the evap buy making it more like a heat exchanger. Basically just cover the finned area with plexi to force the liquid through the fins from top to bottom. That will help reduce pulldown time and power consumption of chiller.
United States  Offline
Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
clipperjay
I'm thinking today

Will any fans make a difference in a complete vacum Drew?
I do plan to shreader valve the box to take out every last amount of air and moisture out of it?
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

Just so there's no confusion.. my above post only applies to chilled liquid. You are talking a vacuum sealed air box now. If you wanted to cycle the compressor with that type of config then you'd need to add more liquid volume to the loop. There won't be any need to evacuate the enclosure, that little bit of moisture won't make any difference. Besides that, there needs to be some air present to transfer the heat. The cfm will vary the load on the a/c's evap. You could probably get those balanced out just right to keep temps in a certain temp range.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply