EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General CPU Cooling > Phase Change, Dry Ice, LN2, Other Crazy Stuff

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
patrickjp93
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

University Research Build and Obnoxious Cooling Needs

Long story short, I have a crazy professor who, after winning a small lottery, wants to build an insane personal computer for his augmented reality and virtual reality research. It's my own fault for telling him about phase-change cooling, but all of a sudden the man wants two Titan Zs, the i7 4960X, and 64 GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM overclocked to the edge of all possibility.

Also, he's charged me with finding all the incompatibilities and the cooling system. Thank God for certain websites with compatibility checkers.

As the name of the build in this link suggests, my professor is willing to spend the money to get what he wants, but there is no commercial solution to this beastly thing. Please, someone, help me connect him with a cooling genius. Also, LN2/H2 and dry ice are off the table. He wants a system where he has to replace coolant rarely if at all and is reliable with little maintenance

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/patrickjp93/saved/m3DzK8

Cooling Requirements:
Liquid Cool RAM (or better if possible)
Liquid or Phase Change the Asus Rampage IV Black Chipset
Cool the mosfets (?)
Cool The OCZ Z-Drive (Is that even necessary?)
Phase Change the Intel i7 4960X CPU,
Phase Change two Titan Z graphics cards (all 4 gpus, find solutions to VRs and vRAM).

Frankly I don't know if it's possible to build a cooling system for this.

Additional Comment:

For the record, I did come up with an initial liquid cooling solution for the Titan Zs and CPU involving 3 chilled alcohol loops (-10 F) which had the solution run over a phase-change plate, but he seems to think that's too weak for what he wants to do.

Last edited by patrickjp93; 05-30-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: forgot a solution constraint
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

You're on the right track with a chiller. If budget allows then go with a cascade chiller. The temperature will only be limited by the pumpability of the coolant. That would probably be methanol so at least -70c.

May as well cool everything as the mobo is going to be a solid block of ice anyways. I'd estimate 1.5-2kw of cooling. You'll probably be looking at a triple stage unit for that.
United States  Offline
Old 06-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
patrickjp93
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Phase-Change Dual GPUs

From what I've seen of phase-change builds is the heat pipe is always perpendicular to the cooling surface. Obviously, with 2 Titan Zs so close to each other, we wouldn't have that luxury. Is there anyone who has phase-cooled a dual GPU?
United States  Offline
Old 06-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
Witchdoctor
"Think"

Agree, a chiller will be the only viable solution for this.

I am sure there will be a full coverage block for this card, EK will probably be first to the party as usual.

The system it self will be a simple water cooling set up other than you will have to insulate everything as it will condense. A cool box may be in order for this application to eliminate condensation, however if in ambient at -70C condensation will have to be addressed.

I am skeptical that you will need to cool the board and memory with liquid as it will be plenty cold enough with simple conduction and that will help lower the pump specification significantly due the high restriction those types of blocks bring to the table.

This is going to take a significant amount of time to put together especially the triple stage cascade. I would look to X99 w/ new 8c16t CPU with DDR4 quad pumped. This is going to be a significant leap from an Ivy based 6c12 CPU with DDR3 quad pumped. it is also rumored the IMC of these chips is going to be vastly improved. How about running the stix in the 2800 to 3000 range FTW, but this remains to be seen, simply here say right now.

As far as the the refrigeration/chiller side of this system Drew is the guy that could figure out those specifics

Hope this comes together as it will be cool to see this come together

Good luck
United States  Offline
Old 06-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Drewmeister
The Need 2 Freeze

There are low profile gpu evaporators for direct die phase cooling but you're much better off with chilled liquid in this case. Look for a full coverage all copper waterblock and have it brazed together. You can also use 2 x universal blocks (all copper brazed) per card.

I agree with WD's suggestion for a chillbox.

Checkout these magnificent projects.

Technogiant's chillbox: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=363464

Orthello77's chillbox: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=363597
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply