EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Project / Build Logs

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #21
The Dude
I ❤ 7

I'm probably going to get 16 GB / 2 sticks. I need to do much more research on DDR4 and Ram requirements before I decide.

Here's the update though.... I bought a 1080ti today! Kind of anti climactic honestly after all the excitement and waiting for Strix to release.

I suprised myself and went with a plain vanilla EVGA 1080 ti FE.

Reasons:

1: I realized that with Pascal, any clocking over 2 - 2.1 GHZ will require a bios or volt mod. I don't see myself gunning for a few extra % performance by modding bios or the pcb, so the likelihood that I will need more power than 7+2 can supply is small.

2: I want a copper block and the EK Titan X block fits this card and comes in un plated copper (gotta decide on acetal or plexi top)

3: I have 90 days to step up to a FTW3 if I decide to stay on air or really want solid caps and a custom board etc.

4: The purchase of the new waterblock will only set me back an additional ~$75 over the cost of a Strix (or considerably less for a used block)

5: I had enough of waiting after having missed the unannounced Strix launch on Newegg this Friday.

6: This seemed like the best bang for the buck solution.

I'll be benching on my current rig this weekend. I'm very interested to see the results of a 2500k win 7 machine vs the modern equipment which these cards have been benched on.

As far as cpu I'm leaning 7700k at this point.

Thoughts and comments will be very welcome! Thanks!
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-04-2017, 06:46 AM   #22
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Hah, your 5th point reminds me of the battle I went through to get my 1080, spamming the newegg Add to Cart url till it went through and try and follow through as fast as possible. I still laugh at my desperation, pretty sad really... it's just a gpu

I too am curious about the performance on old components, I'm In a similar -ish boat as you. Though your card is better than mine and your O/C will probably help u out some. Will you do a stock clocks bench too?
United States  Offline
Old 04-05-2017, 04:22 AM   #23
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Sure, stock benches too.
United States  Offline
Old 04-14-2017, 06:57 AM   #24
leekirlew
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilZJ View Post
Hah, your 5th point reminds me of the battle I went through to get my 1080, spamming the newegg Add to Cart url till it went through and try and follow through as fast as possible. I still laugh at my desperation, pretty sad really... it's just a gpu

I too am curious about the performance on old components, I'm In a similar -ish boat as you. Though your card is better than mine and your O/C will probably help u out some. Will you do a stock clocks bench too?
I did something like this on my build log moving from 4790k to ryzen:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...most-complete/
England  Offline
Old 04-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #25
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilZJ View Post

So here are some benches I ran last night,
all stock settings and stock fan profile on the 1080ti FE above
all overclocked settings (see sig) and 100% fan profile below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heaven no oc 1080p.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	172575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heaven no oc 1440p.JPG
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	172576   Click image for larger version

Name:	no oc firestrike.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	172577   Click image for larger version

Name:	no oc metro ll 1080p.JPG
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	172578   Click image for larger version

Name:	no oc metro ll 1440p.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	172579  

Name:	Heaven yes oc 1080p.JPG
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	172580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heaven yes oc 1440p.JPG
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	172581   Click image for larger version

Name:	yes oc firestrike.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	172582   Click image for larger version

Name:	yes oc metro ll 1080p.JPG
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	172583   Click image for larger version

Name:	yes oc metro ll 1440p.JPG
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	172584  

Last edited by The Dude; 04-16-2017 at 08:37 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 04-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #26
The Dude
I ❤ 7

DX 12 will have to wait. I may or may not do DX 12 benches on this cpu ram and mobo. I dont know if I want to bother with a win 10 install just for that, knowing I'll be reinstalling once I put a new mobo ram and cpu in.
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #27
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekirlew View Post
I did something like this on my build log moving from 4790k to ryzen:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...most-complete/
big thumbs up on your layout, it looks super sharp. You are the reason I never post pictures of my builds online

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
So here are some benches I ran last night,
all stock settings and stock fan profile on the 1080ti FE above
all overclocked settings (see sig) and 100% fan profile below
Ya, well, that's great and all, but now I want a Ti, so thanks but no thanks for that
I can't wait to see the new mobo/cpu!
United States  Offline
Old 04-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #28
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

The Aorus Extreme is making it very difficult on me. I want to get one and sell off my G1 Gaming 1080 for it.

Good numbers. Can you do some Superposition benchmarks too?
United States  Offline
Old 04-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #29
The Dude
I ❤ 7

I would just get the aorus standard version if I were you. I don't think the extreme will clock better, same pcb, same nvidia bios locks.

Superstition benchmarks are cued.

Additional Comment:

So I'm thinking It's going to be a z270 Board and a 7700k. If there's any reason I should be looking at a 6700k or some other cpu instead please let me know. I'd be happy to switch it up if good reason is found to do so.

As far as RAM goes I obviously want to use DDR4

So my question is about the number of channels I want. Being as though the pc will be asked to play games at 1440p as it's most intensive application I wonder if I should be looking at quad channel memory or if dual channel will offer the same performance based on my usage criteria.

I think I understand the basics, dual channel allows (2) simultaneous read and write operations and quad allows (4) simultaneous read and write operations. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

What I've read is that in gaming there is no improvement with quad channel memory.

As for Optane, from what I've read this is similar tech to the hybrid hdds. Differing in the fact that Optane memory is given a quicker path to the cpu than a sata drive.

It really doesn't seem useful to me, for the purpose of gaming. 32gb is hardly enough to contain a AAA title so I'm not sure it could offer a performance improvement in the environment I expect to use it.

Now as for m.2, is it good practice to boot from an m.2 drive? I understand the immense potential for improved access times, but does this translate into a noticeable real world improvement? What kind of complications could arise from using m.2 as boot device? Is this a Win10 only option or could I put 7 on an m.2 with a bit of tinkering?

Thanks~

P.S.

This is my current shopping cart:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	newegg cart 1.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	172626  

Last edited by The Dude; 04-23-2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 04-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #30
Almost Tactf
DT 1770 and a Lyr

You're basically looking to build my rig in sig but with a better GPU =D

On the DDR4 front, quad channel isn't available with the Z270 as far as I know. You'd need X99 for that which is a whole different ball game.

For the M.2 in one simple word, YES! I LOVE my Samsung 950 as it gives me read speeds of 2600+ MB/s so booting is instant and loading games is done in a flash. You had the money for the 1080ti, so put a few extra bucks towards an M.2
United States  Offline
Old 04-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #31
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Hey, gotta treat yourself somewhere right? It's a deep itch, and basically my only hobby so might as well. I'm just glad my Jones isn't for cars and guns... that stuff costs BANK!

I am a tight wad usually, I just happened to discover that I left some money on the table at tax time a couple years ago so I thought, easy come, easy go

What do you think of that Mobo? Good reviews, nice features including aura and usb3.1, seems like a good bang for the buck.
United States  Offline
Old 04-23-2017, 09:59 PM   #32
Almost Tactf
DT 1770 and a Lyr

Yeah, I like it so far. I do wish it had some more features like onboard LCD for statuses and a clear CMOS button on the back but all in all I'm at 5ghz so I can't complain
United States  Offline
Old 04-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #33
The Dude
I ❤ 7

I was actually talking about the Asrock 270z Extreme 4 that I have in my Newegg Cart attachment. It's a great price right now $145.00.

Additional Comment:

Think I'm gonna pull the trigger, anybody see a reason not to? Thanks

Last edited by The Dude; 04-26-2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 04-27-2017, 07:24 AM   #34
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

They're good boards now, not as bad as they were way back when. They're basically a "budget" ASUS board now I believe.
United States  Offline
Old 04-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #35
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Yeah, I had a pos Asrock like 15 years ago. Awful even for general purpose usage, that was before I went to the enthusiast side of pc's... That pos board might have been the one main reason that I started researching components beyond the price tag.

I didn't purchase yet, I'm going to be looking at Gigabyte and MSI as well before pulling the trigger. I don't need / won't use built in wifi and I'm hoping to find a board that will possibly have some better vrm in place of the wifi.

I guess I could look at Asus as well... I know they make quality products, but I feel like they are the go to brand for everybody and their brother these days. Guess I just want to support someone who is not the largest in the industry.

I am thinking of a 7700k relid though. That sounds like a white knuckle experience that I might enjoy. Unless of course I kill the cpu by accident in the process, that would be far less enjoyable.
United States  Offline
Old 05-01-2017, 06:46 AM   #36
PhilZJ
Overclocker

I have an AsRock in my NAS box with the intel Atom cpu. I've had it 14 months and it's on 24/7. Obviously not overclocked so I can't speak to their stability or longevity if they are pushed harder.
I tried an EVGA board a long while back, after about a year, it arc'ed behind the pci express slot and to me it was kaput. I gave it to someone on the forum here and he resurrected it, but I went back to Asus after and that board still works great. I used a Gigabyte way back in the days of the intel P4c for my cousin's build and that was pretty solid.
United States  Offline
Old 05-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #37
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I didn't purchase yet, I'm going to be looking at Gigabyte and MSI as well before pulling the trigger. I don't need / won't use built in wifi and I'm hoping to find a board that will possibly have some better vrm in place of the wifi.

I guess I could look at Asus as well... I know they make quality products, but I feel like they are the go to brand for everybody and their brother these days. Guess I just want to support someone who is not the largest in the industry.
I used to be all about just ASUS for motherboards until recently. I happened upon an MSI board that was pretty **** cheap ($159 on sale - X99) and it's a pretty good board for being near bottom rung for X99. Also, I saw reports of as time went on and ASUS kept releasing boards that their Windows load times were atrocious. I can confirm that this is the case; my Z68 board took a LONG time to hand over control to Windows loading. MSI board with no Fast Boot enabled whatsoever POSTs and starts Windows load in approximately half to a quarter of the time that the Z68 board did.
United States  Offline
Old 05-01-2017, 10:05 AM   #38
The Dude
I ❤ 7

Nice, I'm looking at the msi z270 carbon pro right now :-)
United States  Offline
Old 05-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #39
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizzo View Post
I used to be all about just ASUS for motherboards until recently. I happened upon an MSI board that was pretty **** cheap ($159 on sale - X99) and it's a pretty good board for being near bottom rung for X99. Also, I saw reports of as time went on and ASUS kept releasing boards that their Windows load times were atrocious. I can confirm that this is the case; my Z68 board took a LONG time to hand over control to Windows loading. MSI board with no Fast Boot enabled whatsoever POSTs and starts Windows load in approximately half to a quarter of the time that the Z68 board did.
haha, yes my board also does the double POST with fairly long splashscreens and some disk detection routine that takes a second or two, but ya the motherboard initialization part is probably 50% of my bootup routine time.
I went to MSI for my GPU so far so good
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply