EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > General System Help & Questions

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Gaming PC - What to keep?

Hello everyone, thanks for reading.

I'm considering overhauling my gaming pc sometime this summer ( I know I'm posting this really early) and I'd like your feedback on what to keep and what to ditch.

here is what I have now
CPU: Intel 2600k [definitely ditch]
Cooler: CoolerMaster 212+ [probably ditch and get an h80 or h100..]
MOBO: Asus P8Z68Pro [definitely ditch]
RAM: Mushkin RED 2x4GB [definitely ditch]
HDD1: SSD Intel 320 160GB [perhaps keep as OS drive as it is now]
HDD2: HDD WD Black 1TB 7200rpm [definitely ditch]
SoundCard: SB X-Fi Fatality With Front bay [I'd like to keep it because of the front bay and I have my headphones / mic hooked up to it, but I don't even remember if it's PCI, or how the heck it hooks to my board]
PSU: Silverstone OP850 [Probably keep, the computer only runs while playing not a on 24/7 type rig, so I don't need the super ultra efficiency versions]
CASE: Antec P182 [I like the case, it's quiet dust filters at the front are easy to clean, however there is no good place to mount a double radiator so I'd have to stay with the h80 cooler]
GPU: MSI Gaming X 1080 [definitely keep]

I don't really need a second computer, I already have the MediaPC which I use for external FTP access and a couple other things, so there isn't much benefit for me to start from scratch and just keep my graphic card, but if you guys think that there are newer cases or psu's out there that are super totally awesome must have, then I would certainly consider your opinion.

If I go ahead with the upgrade, I would likely wait until summer time to see how Kaby lake is doing, or maybe there will be more news about cannonlake.
The computer will be used 99% of the time for Gaming, if not that, it'll be transcoding family videos with handbrake.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate any feedback.
-Phil
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-26-2017, 06:37 AM   #2
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

If you are buying a new motherboard anyway you may as well ditch the SSD Intel 320 160GB and pick up a M.2 NVME based SSD unless you need to save a few bucks at the moment. If you have the PCI and not PCIe version of the SB X-Fi Fatality that will limit your motherboard choices a little bit.
United States  Offline
Old 01-26-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldd View Post
If you are buying a new motherboard anyway you may as well ditch the SSD Intel 320 160GB and pick up a M.2 NVME based SSD unless you need to save a few bucks at the moment. If you have the PCI and not PCIe version of the SB X-Fi Fatality that will limit your motherboard choices a little bit.
Well I was only going to keep the intel SSD for the O/S partition, and maybe get the fancy NVME stuff for my games. I'd like a 1TB version, luckily I have till the summer to rob enough gas stations to be able to afford one. I'm not sure if it's OK to not host the O/S on the M.2 port, what do you guys think?

Regarding the sound card, I'm 85% sure it's PCIe, because I had a PCI, that was not Fatality and then I got the fatality one. I'm hoping I bought my current one when I got my P8Z68 and I went PCIe...
United States  Offline
Old 01-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
un4givn85
v^

Dont waste you money on getting an M.2 for games, they won't see enough benefit from it, I have done some testing on this since I built my new rig (in sig).
Go with M.2 for your OS, 256 is plenty for this, then if you feel it is needed, get a Samsung 850 Evo/Pro 1tb for games.
The jump from HDD to SSD for games is bigger than SSD to M.2.
United States  Offline
Old 01-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #5
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4givn85 View Post
Dont waste you money on getting an M.2 for games, they won't see enough benefit from it, I have done some testing on this since I built my new rig (in sig).
Go with M.2 for your OS, 256 is plenty for this, then if you feel it is needed, get a Samsung 850 Evo/Pro 1tb for games.
The jump from HDD to SSD for games is bigger than SSD to M.2.
Ok, thanks for the SSD advice, I'll probably go with your suggestion then.

What about cooling, case and PSU?
United States  Offline
Old 01-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #6
un4givn85
v^

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilZJ View Post

For cooling, you can't go wrong with an AIO, I run the H100i GTX from Corsair, it gets the job done for a 4.8ghz overclock on my 6700k.

Can't give any advice on cases, I haven't looked in a long time as I am happy with mine.

Any PSU that is rated Gold or better and 750w or better would be fine, from a reputable vendor at least. EVGA, Corsair, Antec to name a few.
United States  Offline
Old 01-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Use your Silverstone. It's already overkill for your system.
United States  Offline
Old 01-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:

My LEPA AquaChanger 240 does a **** good job for just a 240mm AIO and is cheap. I haven't seen over 67*c on my hottest core on my 6800k (and this was during stability testing, so it was for sure generating heat).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
United States  Offline
Old 01-27-2017, 07:23 AM   #9
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Quote:
For cooling, you can't go wrong with an AIO, I run the H100i GTX from Corsair, it gets the job done for a 4.8ghz overclock on my 6700k.
I don't have room to mount a big radiator like that in my case What about the h80i? I only have single 120mm fans. The front of the case has a 2x120 opening but only fans would fit there, not with a radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizzo View Post
My LEPA AquaChanger 240 does a **** good job for just a 240mm AIO and is cheap. I haven't seen over 67*c on my hottest core on my 6800k (and this was during stability testing, so it was for sure generating heat).
I'm not familiar with LEPA, are they pretty quite pumps/fan? The gaming PC is in the bedroom, so I like quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post
Use your Silverstone. It's already overkill for your system.
Ok thanks!
United States  Offline
Old 01-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #10
un4givn85
v^

The H80i would be fine if that is all you can fit.
United States  Offline
Old 01-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #11
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Quote:
The H80i would be fine if that is all you can fit.
I wish I could mount the radiator outside. My case has holes for water loops, but obviously the heat exchanger doesn't fit through it.
United States  Offline
Old 01-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #12
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
I don't have room to mount a big radiator like that in my case What about the h80i? I only have single 120mm fans. The front of the case has a 2x120 opening but only fans would fit there, not with a radiator.

I'm not familiar with LEPA, are they pretty quite pumps/fan? The gaming PC is in the bedroom, so I like quiet

Ok thanks!
My "toys" are in the basement, so it's fairly quiet most times down there. The fans are most definitely not quiet fans, however, they are usually not any louder than the fans that are on my Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080. They spin up to full speed at power on of the PC and then settle out.

My CPU only heats up to ~67*c on the hottest core, so it's not really being overly stressed. I'm sure you could find quieter fans than what come with it.

EDIT: Here's the link for it on PC Part Picker : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hQ7...ler-lpwac240hf

Last edited by Slizzo; 01-27-2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added link
United States  Offline
Old 01-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizzo View Post
My "toys" are in the basement, so it's fairly quiet most times down there. The fans are most definitely not quiet fans, however, they are usually not any louder than the fans that are on my Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080. They spin up to full speed at power on of the PC and then settle out.

My CPU only heats up to ~67*c on the hottest core, so it's not really being overly stressed. I'm sure you could find quieter fans than what come with it.

EDIT: Here's the link for it on PC Part Picker : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hQ7...ler-lpwac240hf
Ok, thanks for your feedback, I have the MSI Gaming X 1080 and I don't find the fans too loud, so if the fan compares to that, then I'm good to go.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply