EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Website Related Info (No Post Increase) > Official EOC Folding @ Home Team

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 02-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
gregaber
GPU folder

nVidia driver debacle

Has anyone else been affected by the nVidia GPU driver debacle? It's described on FAH's website:

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/blog/

I spent several hours over the past 2 days learning the hard way how to "fix" things. My troubles stemmed from being unable to run older drivers without Win10 interfering with auto updates.

For months I have been running 372.70 on 4 out of 5 machines and 373.06 on the last one. I noticed my PPD results suddenly dropped a few days ago, and it was due to 376.xx (don't remember exactly) being magically installed by Win10 updates. I didn't understand how that could happen, so I reinstalled the older drivers. 30 min later, Win10 had already updated back to 376.xx. I tried running the 376.xx that Win10 was pushing via updates but FAH kept crashing.

Did a google search and found you can prevent Win10 from automatically updating hardware drivers, but for some reason that didn't work. Then my son told me about a DDU program to completely uninstall ALL video drivers. I ended up with a huge mess on my hands, but I'm not convinced whether it was due to DDU, Win10 updates, or my own ineptitude.

In the end, I found the above info on FAH website and installed the latest 378.49 drivers. That has allowed FAH to run without error, albeit at a reduced PPD, probably ~15-20% reduction from the older 372.70/373.06 drivers.

Although I still don't understand why I cannot install the older drivers without being subjected to involuntary updates, I'm happy to at least have 5 stable machines again.

Anyone with suggestions for how to prevent Win10 from updating the older drivers would be most welcome.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 02-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

I take it you did the Control Panel.. System.. Advanced System Settings.. Hardware tab.. Device Installation Settings.. No let me choose what to do.. Never install from Windows update.

Also I know there's a group policy setting so you can probably disable it via GPEDIT if you are running Pro or Enterprise. And every group policy setting is just a registry entry.

Here's a link to where they have the the 3 methods of changing it: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/21/how...indows-update/

I'll admit I've heard folks say they weren't sure whether to change the registry value to 0 or 3 to never install driver updates from windows update. I think they made a slight change after the anniversary up date to how this is handled. I hope this helps.
United States  Offline
Old 02-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
jimh425
Fold more - bark less

I haven't been having any issues, but I think I just have an old driver.
United States  Offline
Old 02-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
gregaber
GPU folder

Diditaldd:

Yes, to your question.

So I read that article and on the first machine I looked, the Control Panel was set to NOT update yet in the Registry the value was set at 1, meaning automatically update. That's why Win10 was installing the driver anyway.

Thanks!

Additional Comment:

Nvidia released 378.66 today. I've installed it and am happy to report all 5 machines are stable and producing almost as many PPD as they normally do. I'm assuming that's due to improvements in both the driver and the WU's.

That's after 6 hours. Let's see how 378.66 does over the next few days....

Additional Comment:

Update: The Group Policy option is the only solution that allowed me to go back to 372.70, but is only available in Win10 Pro version. http://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/21/how...indows-update/

Last edited by gregaber; 02-17-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 02-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
PommieB
Overclocker

Yep, you need the pro version if you want to sort out Auto updates on win 10, I experimented with the non pro version on one of my laptops and gave up on it, none of the hacks worked.
Australia  Offline
Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
sysigy
Abandon All Hope!

I've taken a pretty large hit with my ppd since updating to the latest nVidia drivers.

Am now < 550K ppd were previously I was > 850K.

Think I am going to rollback the drivers tomorrow.

Additional Comment:

Turns out my drop in PPD was due to my main rig getting turned off during a storm the other day, the office had a power cut for about 30 seconds and the rig didn't come back up!

Will keep the latest drivers for now and see what happens.

Last edited by sysigy; 02-27-2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 05-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
QuintLeo
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Most of my systems are LINUX, but I did get hit by the AMD version of the Win 10 autodowngrade nightmare.
You CAN turn off autodowngrade with a registry hack in Win 10 Home, but it's not as easy (and may not work as reliably) as the group policy option that Pro has.

(I don't call it autoupgrade - way too many cases that the "newer" drivers are BROKEN over the years that folks have been COMPLAING that "autoupdate is STUPID and CAUSES ISSUES and should get eliminated from Windows).

There is supposedly some trick to make Windows 10 "fix" a specific driver itself in place and not update that, but it apparently doesn't work reliably.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply