EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Off Topic / General Chat (No Post Increase) > Photoshop Fun / Graphic Design

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 10-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
astrocrep
3> Linux 3>

Help with alpha channels.

So I am making a game, and trying to use from free tile sets I found and needed to add an alpha channel to it. I used Gimp and I thought I did it right, but it's not working as expected...

Attached you'll find the original tileset, the one I modified with gimp and a screen cap from Tiled as I am trying to build my level.

As you can see the Monks on the benches and by the books are partly transparent and they shouldn't be...
I'm a newb with gimp and related so I could totally use some help! For reference, I did "Color to Alpha" on the green color on the sprite sheet.

Thanks,
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vx_chara02_c.png
Views:	529
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	168791   Click image for larger version

Name:	zealots1.png
Views:	283
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	168792   Click image for larger version

Name:	alpha issue.png
Views:	290
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	168793  

Last edited by astrocrep; 10-09-2013 at 05:38 PM.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 10-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Scubar
Arsenal

Have you tried changing the Alpha channel to something like bright pink instead to see if that helps.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
sysigy
Abandon All Hope!

I think the issue was the way gimp removed the green background. Also the original was saved as 'indexed colours' which might cause issues.

I've recreated the picture using Photoshop and saved as RGB instead of Indexed Colours, when loaded now the characters are fully opaque where as the picture you created with gimp had the characters as semi-transparent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vx_chara03_c_sysigy.png
Views:	615
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	168797
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 10-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
astrocrep
3> Linux 3>

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysigy View Post
I think the issue was the way gimp removed the green background. Also the original was saved as 'indexed colours' which might cause issues.

I've recreated the picture using Photoshop and saved as RGB instead of Indexed Colours, when loaded now the characters are fully opaque where as the picture you created with gimp had the characters as semi-transparent.

Attachment 168797

Thanks a lot for the help!! I figured out how to fix it in gimp. But yea, converted to rgb, then did a selection on that color which outlined all the characters, made the selection alpha and then deleted it. That seemed to fix it! Thanks for the help again, and the info.

Much appreciated!

Rich
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply