EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > General System Help & Questions

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
flatline
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Upgrade time...

Will be upgrading towards the end of the month, will be either 6700k or 7700k along with mainboard and ram and maybe a 1070/1080.

Only been playing cs:go and dayz but now playeruknown battlesgrounds is out I could do with a bit more poke.

I'm leaning towards the i5 and then try and get 4.5 out of it but on the other hand, its been a while since I've had an i7 and it will run at 4.5.

picked a gigabyte motherboard, I like gigabyte but is it a good overclocker?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...re-gbe-usb-31-

RAM will just be some corsair from scan.

open to advice
England  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-07-2017, 12:57 AM   #2
EMU
Gold Member

If you are only going to overclock to 4.5ghz, that mobo should do that no sweat. If you are limiting the overclock to that, you may want to go with the 6700k if there is a large enough price difference.

The 7700k can usually run the same speeds as tree 6700k with less voltage, and typical overhead is roughly 300mhz at the limit.

I just got my 7700k today, going to try for 5ghz tomorrow... My motherboard has a similar level of power delivery to the one that you have. Will see if it is up to the task (hoping I lucked out in the silicon lottery).

What cooling are you planning to use?

Memory I would recommend something around 3000-3200c14. Seems to be around the sweet spot for price/ performance. My g.skill 3000 i have running at 3466c16. You won't see huge gains from memory overclocking, and if you do go with high end memory, I feel that money is better spent on a better gpu. I would recommend 16gb as my minimum.

Last edited by EMU; 04-07-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Netherlands  Offline
Old 04-07-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
flatline
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Cool, let me know how you get on with the 7700k
England  Offline
Old 04-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
EMU
Gold Member

Had some time to play with it.

Tested with Intel Burn test v2.54 for a quick test
4.6ghz, took 1.2v
4.7, 1.23v
4.8, 1.28v
4.9, 1.34v
5.0 1.42v was no go... temps got too high. Mind you, I have 2x 200mm radiators on a CPU only loop with an EK Supremacy EVO. More voltage meant more heat, and it would become less stable.

Time to delid.

Im at 5.1 with 1.41v... temps low 70s. Was hitting 95+ at 5.0 before delid. This CPU really needed it to get over 4.9. 5.2 is no go, requires too much voltage for any stability. Im not comfortable with that, but happy with 5.1.

I am using the Asrock Z270M Extreme4 mATX motherboard. Which has a similar power configuration to the Gigabyte that you ordered. I was looking at the mATX version of that Gigabyte motherboard, but decided that I wanted an additional m.2 for SSD, plus the additional m.2 for wifi if I needed to go wifi. I am using a wireless bridge right now, so I dont need it... but if I did, it would be an easier upgrade down the road.
Netherlands  Offline
Old 04-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
flatline
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Nice dude

I upgraded yesterday, went for the 7600k, gigabyte Z270 HD30, 15GB CORSAIR 3000mhz ram-ordered in in one stick by mistake and an EVGA 1080 FTW.

Had a quick play with the oc, turned off the the intel settings and set it to x47. Ran a few gaming benchmarks and played PUBG with no issues. CPUZ shows the voltage at 1.26. Been a while since i had a proper go at an overclock, I presume the volts will stay stock no matter what I set the multiplier at?
England  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply