EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Networking and Security

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 10-21-2016, 04:59 AM   #1
Tasker22
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I suspect someone is hacking into my router

I doubt whether my router is being hacked by someone.

Sometimes when I use the internet, I experience a sudden drop in the internet speed. Sometimes I am also cut off from the internet. The suspicion became obvious when I had no such issues after changing the password.

But, If whoever hacked into the router can hack again. S, I would like to know what I can do to prevent my router from getting hacked. I am using the modem router provided my ISP. https://www.acanac.com/hardware/smar...?package=fibre You can check the default security features.

I would greatly appreciate some help to prevent it.

Thanks!
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 10-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Really, truly and unfortunately, the best way is to ensure that you're using equipment not supplied to you by your provider. There may be back doors baked into the device that you don't know about that they and their technicians do.

Get yourself a good router from online or a store, and turn off the wireless that your device from your telecom agency provided and use the security features on the new router.

I have liked my ASUS router in the time that I have had it. Others can suggest other routers you can use.
United States  Offline
Old 10-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
PhilZJ
Overclocker

The back door as suggested by Slizzo is always a possibility. I would have liked to change my router too, but my problem is that I use FIOS, so the router acts as a moca bridge too, so it would be a massive pain for me to use my own hardware.

Could it be that the default password is something basic like "admin" and one of your neighbors changed it? They'd need your wifi password too obviously, unless that too is something basic.
United States  Offline
Old 10-26-2016, 08:04 AM   #4
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilZJ View Post
The back door as suggested by Slizzo is always a possibility. I would have liked to change my router too, but my problem is that I use FIOS, so the router acts as a moca bridge too, so it would be a massive pain for me to use my own hardware.

Could it be that the default password is something basic like "admin" and one of your neighbors changed it? They'd need your wifi password too obviously, unless that too is something basic.
On a lot of routers you can disable accessing the web management from wireless and/or the internet that's usually a good feature to turn on. It does break those phone apps to manage your router if your router has one of those.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply