EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > General Windows Troubleshooting

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
~Dad
Extreme Overclocker

Bad times after visiting Windows Store....

Girl Friend is driving an i5-3570K (built it herself) and running W10 Pro. After a power outage yesterday, TriPeaks would not load from the W10 games package. All the rest of the games and all the rest of the computer continued to work flawlessly. This afternoon, she Googled a Windows 10 forum that suggested that she manually reset the Windows Store cache.

1. Press Windows + R to open the run command box.
2. Type WSReset, then tyry launching Store and sign in.
Then search for any updates from the Windows Store.

She found no update but she did launch the reset.......

The reset did reset a few things! She can no longer sign into her computer like she has for the last few years. In fact, she cannot sign in at all. When trying to sign in under her name, the keyboard is non-functional. It also says she must use her Microsoft account name and password. I can sign in under my name but not with my normal password. I must use my MicroSoft account to sign in as well. She is essentially shut out of her machine.

I would appreciate it if you would post up if you have any idea what's happened here.

Last edited by ~Dad; 06-27-2017 at 10:30 AM.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
lexandro
VIGILO CONFIDO

Have you logged in with your ID and checked to see if her user profile is still in the system?
Scotland  Offline
Old 06-27-2017, 05:20 AM   #3
~Dad
Extreme Overclocker

Thank you, Sir. I'll have to read up to see how to do that. As I recall, she lost her keyboard once before and it was while trying to get the games going in the first place. I was fine on the computer but she was locked out. It may have been you that suggested that her user profile had been corrupted. I'll read and see.
United States  Offline
Old 06-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
FunkZ
AMD kicks your ASCII

Switch back to local account (instead of Microsoft login)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...cd3fa9b?auth=1
United States  Offline
Old 06-27-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkZ View Post

The thing is she won't be able to play her game since it's from the store and you have to be logged in to access it.Might be alright in the meantime to figure things out.
Canada  Offline
Old 06-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
Slizzo
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmcmillan View Post
The thing is she won't be able to play her game since it's from the store and you have to be logged in to access it.Might be alright in the meantime to figure things out.
You can be signed into a local login in windows and still be signed into the windows store. Been doing it this way in Win 8/8.1 and now Windows 10.
United States  Offline
Old 06-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

What do you use as a login? To the store that is. Edit: This article seems to think it's something new

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31453...l-account.html
Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Last edited by jbmcmillan; 06-27-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Canada  Offline
Old 06-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #8
~Dad
Extreme Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkZ View Post

FunkZ, my friend! This worked perfectly! So easy, so smooth, first time! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Happy GF = happy me!

Additional Comment:

I appreciate what all of you have taught me through the years and it should be enough that this thing fixed the problem. I just can't leave something like that alone though. I don't understand what happened. We had a power outage and lost a game. She tried to reset it and suddenly we're hooked into the Empire and they have our rig! Excuse me for just one moment while I look for my tin hat..... There. That's better. What happened here?

Last edited by ~Dad; 06-28-2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 06-29-2017, 07:07 AM   #9
FunkZ
AMD kicks your ASCII

You're welcome, glad it worked for you. Had to deal with that when I first upgraded to Windows 8.1

As to what it is, I suspect Microsoft is pushing to get people to use secure Windows logins so they don't have local administrator accounts on their PC's with no passwords. That only opens the door to Malware installing itself, especially the default Admin account with no password.

Why it happened when you ran WSReset I have no idea. From what I read all that executable is supposed to do is clear the Windows Store cache, without affecting your login. Obviously that didn't hold true in your case.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply