EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Linux, BSD, Alternative OS's

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-03-2006, 12:00 PM   #41
ChunkMunky
Loving Slackware!

How many of you actually use Linux? Me and a friend have been wanting to start learning it, but everytime i get around to it i just give up. I used VMWare to install it under windows, which was nice because if i wanted to full with it all i had to do was click the play button and it would take up where i left off. It took me a good four hours to finally get Debian running with VMWare, because I installed the 1.6kernel and it kept saying my display drivers were not compatible with it and so forth. anyways, i was wondering what linux dist do you recommend for the n00b at Linux. Anyoone have a link to some really good help sites? Also, do you know if a 20 gig hd will be fine if i am just messing around and trying to learn it? I just despise windows right now. I dont feel that they really care about the customers. Sure, bill and them donate a lot of money, but they should be spending that money to make an OS that doesnt crash every 5 minutes. When running windows i always keep my hands on the ctr alt del keys. They always save me. Windows locks up for no reason most of the time. At one point in time I had to restore 4 times in one month because it kept getting unbarable. I would switch to Mac, but most games have some trouble running on mac. i do not believe that mac is a good OS for gamers. Also, while im on the subject, does anyone know of a good Windows based app that is similar to MAC's Garage Band?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #42
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Through and through gentoo linux user here. I do have windows on a spare hard drive, I admit, mostly for configuring my new razer.
United States  Offline
Old 04-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #43
mnap86
Banned!
Banned
Hmm, not that long ago i just kicked MS outta my box, gentoo only. As for gaming, yea, nice to have native support, but since im cs addict have to emul it.... too bad.

u mention "new razer", is it copperhead? I wonder if theres a way to set it up as more-than-3-button mouse my side buttons act like 1/2 top buttons.....
Zambia  Offline
Old 04-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #44
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnap86
Hmm, not that long ago i just kicked MS outta my box, gentoo only. As for gaming, yea, nice to have native support, but since im cs addict have to emul it.... too bad.

u mention "new razer", is it copperhead? I wonder if theres a way to set it up as more-than-3-button mouse my side buttons act like 1/2 top buttons.....
Yes, it's actually very easy. The dpi switching buttons work on the hardware level and as such need not be assigned. As for the two right buttons, if your mouse doesn't need to be synapsed (If you synapse it once and find settings you like the mouse doesn't need software anymore), you can just plug it in and go. You'll need to put a few things into the right place:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Copperhead Mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Resolution" "2000"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "off"

And then you xmodmap it by putting:

pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5

into your ~/.xmodmaprc

And then optionall you can run xset m 0 200 to turn mouse acceleration off (so as to let the mouse handle itself the way it would, which is a bit more appreciable).
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply