EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
BigE4u
Yessss!

Changing W7 startup sound

I remember the day when XP had the availabilty to be able to change many sounds in the system, mainly the startup option. Unfortunately that changed with vista/win7 and that buggered many people, including myself.

Most people usually dont think twice about that little event that happens on every startup when entering windows, but those few still prefer to "personalize" their computers to make it their own, again, including yours truely.

So i took to the WWW to find a solution to my problem because MS decided it was a security issue and make the startup sound hard locked into the system making it unchangeable to the average person. Well, im happy to say i finally found that solution that actually worked for me and heres to hoping it works for those that may want to try it.

To make this work, you will need the ability to dual boot, preferably with XP in mind or have a seperate computer with XP on it. But this has to be done in safe mode for the program you have to use and the file you have to modify to work correctly. Once modified, you will need a Ubuntu bootdisk, bootable USB or something similar to actually insert the new file into the w7 system32 folder. Its ok to have the file overwriten when inserting the modified file, just be sure to keep the original file in a safe place just incase you want to return to the original w7 startup sound later on.

Link: http://www.sevenforums.com/customiza...tup-sound.html (post#4 worked for me)

Ps- Heres a copy of the sound.wav that is now in use on my computer when entering windows. Its been ahile, but i do believe i picked up this sound from a game called "POST" long ago, its fitting IMO.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Greetings.zip (104.9 KB, 294 views)
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 08-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Odanez
I am Jean Luc Bacardi

I didn't know it became so complicated all of a sudden. I always turn off all windows sounds as I think it's annoying to get an audio feedback from the PC for everything I am doing.
Germany  Offline
Old 09-26-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
gottistar
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odanez View Post
I didn't know it became so complicated all of a sudden. I always turn off all windows sounds as I think it's annoying to get an audio feedback from the PC for everything I am doing.
X2...sounds be gone...
Australia  Offline
Old 09-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
krone6
Whaaaaaaaaa?
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottistar View Post
X2...sounds be gone...
Hmm, even when i leave them all on, i somehow get them to be muted. Nice to hear when working on a lappy for 2-3 hours but not as a main computer for hours every day.
United States  Offline
Old 09-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Odanez
I am Jean Luc Bacardi

holy mother of thread resurrections!
Germany  Offline
Old 09-28-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
adriantrance
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Off always, don't want no sound pestering me
United States  Offline
Old 10-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Killroy Jone
Learning To Overclock

Haha I am the same I like to hear some wacky startup sound, but other than that I dont need windows bugging me!
United States  Offline
Old 10-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
BigE4u
Yessss!

You guys are harsh.

I take it you fellas wouldnt enjoy the movie 2001 Space Oddyssey featuring HAL 9000, the talking computer.
United States  Offline
Old 10-17-2010, 12:17 AM   #9
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

bige, you must really really want that sound changed to go through all that trouble.
United States  Offline
Old 10-17-2010, 12:40 AM   #10
BigE4u
Yessss!

Remember... this is mission impossible, not mission difficult.
United States  Offline
Old 10-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
prudhomb
NAVIDIA Rocks!!!!!!

another thing you could try, is get a job at M$, work your way into product development, start your own start up sound work group, and fix this problem for W8. Its a long process, but if you pull it off it would fix you problem.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply