EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #21
i_max2k2
extremeocer

Quote:
Video Card Comparisons
Nvidia and AMD are the major players in the graphics market. Intel is making a future effort to become the third competitor in the market however as of right now Nvidia and AMD are to be compared.

You have three main configurations for video cards:
SLI
Crossfire(CF)
Single Slot
SLI and CF are Nvidia and AMD's respective implementations of using multiple GPUs to render graphics. There are complex ways of rendering the on screen graphics but to put it simply, imagine that the processing load is split in 1/2 so that both GPUs receive an equal amount of work. A single slot configuration is a single video card however there are also single slot multi-GPU solutions.

Wait so SLI and CF can be on one card?
Yes. SLI and CF are implemented on single slot multi-GPU cards. The main cards on the market right now are the 9800GX2 from Nvidia and the 4870x2 from AMD. While it is an odd choice to not differentiate these configurations from the others, for the sake of marketing the naming scheme remains.

Is there a difference between two cards and a single card with two GPUs?
Yes but it is usually slight. The 9800GX2 from Nvidia is essentially two 9800GTX GPUs put on one PCB (printed circuit board). Each GPU has its own die and a bridge is used to connect them. It is similar to how Intel uses the MCM to bridge between its processor dies. With the 9800GX2 the performance is on par with two 9800GTXs because there is next to no difference in implementation. While they look vastly different they are both labeled as SLI 9800GTX multi-GPU solutions.

Dont know why nobody noticed, 9800gx2 is dual gpu dual pcb card, 4870x2 is dual gpu single pcb card.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 10-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #22
ocgmj
Drink X3 Kool-Aid

Very awesome learned a lot!
United States  Offline
Old 10-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #23
gunbo13
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_max2k2 View Post
Dont know why nobody noticed, 9800gx2 is dual gpu dual pcb card, 4870x2 is dual gpu single pcb card.
There is a lot of proofread so missing things happens. It was meant to state that it is two GPUs on one card.
United States  Offline
Old 10-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #24
i_max2k2
extremeocer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbo13 View Post
There is a lot of proofread so missing things happens. It was meant to state that it is two GPUs on one card.
I dint mean to sound rude, its a awesome guide, just wanted to make it better!
United States  Offline
Old 10-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #25
BabyGorilla
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Very generic (not derogetory), very good guide. Yet anoter brilliant, likely stickied post that nobody will read!
United States  Offline
Old 12-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #26
Atom(ik)
Learning To Overclock

Thanks very helpful
United States  Offline
Old 12-27-2008, 06:08 AM   #27
TDOGZZ
Koenigsegg CCX

Good info guide Gunbo13 !
Canada  Offline
Old 12-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #28
BRONiUS
Not impressed...

Wow, I've just read this today, awesome guide!! Thanks, gunbo!
Lithuania  Offline
Old 02-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #29
MegapowerXXL
Galactic Computing

I'm new to the hardware side of life and found your guide to be very easy to read and understand. I learned a lot from it and wish I read it when I was shopping for a new graphics card! Eager to read more of your work.
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #30
BRONiUS
Not impressed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegapowerXXL View Post
I'm new to the hardware side of life and found your guide to be very easy to read and understand. I learned a lot from it and wish I read it when I was shopping for a new graphics card! Eager to read more of your work.
Well. we live and learn, don't we? I remember thinking that more MB = more pwnz0rz video card, boy was I stupid
Lithuania  Offline
Old 04-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #31
NossedEvo
Beyond Redemption

Still being read and your work is still being appreciated.
Canada  Offline
Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #32
k3ithyb0y
Learning To Overclock

Thanks heaps. This is the first time GFX card info has made sense to me. I didn't get the difference between the GPU and the ram until now. Lol. Thanks
Australia  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply