EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #101
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE4u View Post
I havent done it since and now i either use the line or pea method, in regards to which processor im using of course.
I'll do the Pea size dot method in the center for benchmarking low end cpu's that don't create lots of heat even OC'ed. Has been working ok, But found the spread method works best even still. I've found that the corners with the Dot method would have no paste at all and would be spewing out the sides onto the PCB. Perhaps I use too much, but I like coverage.

With a coupld of recent socket A cpu's (no IHS plate) I have no choice but to spread and cover the entire chip. If I don't the PC won't boot and the AN7 will throw an error code 99. If I twist the water block just ever so slightly, the board will post right up. That's how critical it is with that particular platform.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #102
BigE4u
Yessss!

Speading TIM accross the whole CPU is the acception when the IHS is removed or if it never had one.
United States  Offline
Old 08-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #103
ShrimpBrime
7GHZ CLUB

That's how the IHS plate is mounted, totally spread on the core. I tired the Dot method with some 6400+ once. I booted saw the temps, pulled the water block off, and spread. Temps dropped nearly 10c, but remember that chip is 125w stock and runs much hotter than any Phenom I've ever OC'ed. At 3.7ghz it took LN2 to get a post at nearly 1.7+v

Dot is good for like 89w and lower no matter what. That's on liquid. I don't use air cooling though
United States  Offline
Old 11-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #104
sarge80
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

A great video especially since they showed how different types of paste spread but at least now I know that i was right to use the "pea" method it spreads a lot better no air bubbles. My curiosity question is this... Some of the older GPU's had a curved top or werent %100 flat would it still work just as well ?
Canada  Offline
Old 11-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #105
BigE4u
Yessss!

Your absolutely right, instead of "spread'n the patee'".... i prefer to do the "dot/pea" method only if it has an IHS, w/o the IHS, spreading it across the whole cpu dye is the way to go.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply