EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Linux, BSD, Alternative OS's

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 11-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
justinsn95
Blow it up Lexx.

I broke grub

Unfortunately I am having this same problem again. I had Ubuntu on a separate drive. But then I removed the drive and reformatted it to serve in another computer. But now somehow, I'm still stuck with grub. And instead of booting right into windows like its supposed to, I get a black scree that says

"Verifying DMI Pool data:..................error: No such device: (very long string of incomprehensible characters) grub rescue>_"

So I was hoping that someone might know what I'm supposed to type after it says " grub rescue>_"
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 11-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
thread
Mad Warranty Voider

You want windows back?
- Use the repair option from your windows CD/DVD.

You want grub? You'll need a linux (or at least a filesystem) on the PC.

Here's how I think it went down:
Drive 1 had windows on it
You installed ubuntu on drive 2
Your BIOS looks at drive 1 first, therefore ubuntu put a "shortcut" in drive 1's MBR to tell the BIOS to jump to drive 2 for booting.
You removed drive 2, and now the shortcut is dead.
The windows repair will replace the MBR with one that points to windows for booting.
Australia  Offline
Old 11-25-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
justinsn95
Blow it up Lexx.

I don't know how this happened, but somehow grub ended up having something to do with... the bios? I tried everything, even reformatting the windows drive. Which I've been meaning to do anyway. Nothing worked until I hit the bios reset button on the motherboard. That got rid of grub somehow and let me boot my main hard drive again. I'll never use grub again. If you change your drive setup it breaks and there doesn't seem to be any way to fix it. And it will stupidly lock you out of your main windows drive. I'm not sure how...
United States  Offline
Old 11-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
thread
Mad Warranty Voider

Did you try the things in my post?

Also, did you format the windows partition, or the whole drive?

I can't imagine grub has affected your BIOS, all it does is overwrite the MBR - which is why formatting a partition won't get rid of it.

It's not that it does anything wrong, you just have to know what you're doing - I've been caught out once but it's not so difficult to fix when you think about what it has to do to achieve the result you want.
Australia  Offline
Old 11-27-2011, 02:28 AM   #5
justinsn95
Blow it up Lexx.

Where is the MBR? What's MBR stand for? And how can you affect it, if a format can't even touch it?
United States  Offline
Old 11-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
jmknsd
Caffeine Overclocker

MBR is the master book record. It's a small space at the front of the drive that tells the BIOS where all the partitions are, and passes control of the machine to a given kernel on a specific partition at boot time. Formats do not generally touch this part of the drive, and often people/distros install grub to the MBR.

Fixing this requires special utilities as thread pointed out. His previous post was exactly correct and you should try those before complaining that what you have already done doesn't work, not to mention not answering the questions of people trying to help you.
United States  Offline
Old 11-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
justinsn95
Blow it up Lexx.

Requiring special tools is worthy of complaint.
United States  Offline
Old 11-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
thread
Mad Warranty Voider

Windows will modify your MBR too. In fact, if you have any other OS installed, windows won't even check it will just overwrite it.

Grub at least checks for an existing install and adds it to the bottom of the list.

You CANNOT install/boot an OS without modifying the MBR. And you CANNOT fix an MBR issue without modifying the MBR (with a tool designed to do so).

What you are complaining about is akin to this:
1) You install windows, windows installs "ntldr" (NT loader) in the MBR, which tells the BIOS to boot to windows.
2) You delete the windows installation
3) You complain that ntldr is no longer "performing as intended".

If you want grub installed on a drive that does not have windows on it, you must change the boot order in BIOS before you install grub. All the BIOS does is check the disks in order for a booting MBR. Grub then must put its booting MBR before (Or over) the windows one.

Essentially, grub has done exactly what you asked it to do. If you want to remove it, you must do an "uninstall procedure" and not simply delete linux. (Same as deleting a folder from "program files" which then leaves all of the registry entry behind.)
Australia  Offline
Old 11-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
UNIXgod
god of UNIX

You can look into http://gag.sourceforge.net/

It will restore the mbr for you. won't fix grub though. It's another boot manager.
United States  Offline
Old 11-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
Jahova
Mad Warranty Voider

There are a million ways to fix a broken Grub boot loader. One method is with Super Grub Boot Disc.
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Should take care of all the OS's installed. I've had 2 Linux distros, 2 BSD's, a OpenSolaris, WinXP, and WinVista all installed and functioning on a single computer with 3-4 HDD's. Super Grub worked it out anytime I accidentally barfed on one of the boot partitions.

Yes, I had to use several boot partitions, where one boot-strap would allow another to load. It was complicated because of the BSD and Solaris distros. With just Windows and Linux installed, it will be no sweat!
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply