EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Linux, BSD, Alternative OS's

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 01-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
jmossman
Evil or Divine?

Linux-Changing Hostname

OK, I know how stupid this sounds, but here's what happened:

I was hammered last night and I was working on one of my folding rigs that I've been having problems with, and I re-installed Ubuntu. The problem is I named it the same name as my 4P rig lol. Both are now named 'G34'. While functionally this doesn't matter, it makes it impossible to network both machines so I can monitor them via HFM.NET since they are named the same.

I'm new to linux, but have figured out most of what I need to know from various guides. I found several about changing the hostname and every step seemed to work, but when I'm done, it's still named G34. I finally gave up and decided to just re-install it again, but it won't let me, no matter what I do, it loads the old OS. I've tried booting from cd, from USB, tried holding ESC down, holding Shift down while loading, but the grub menu never pops back up to let me choose the kernel I want.

I'm thoroughly confused because I've never had so much trouble installing it before. All it does is take me straight to the >grub command prompt, which I have no idea what to do there so didn't try. I've been meaning to get a good guide and learn everything about linux, just haven't got around to it.

It does load and work most of the time, as long as I tell it to load from HDD, it's just when I try CD or USB that the >grub comes up. If anyone could tell me a way to just rip it apart and reinstall that would be fine. I suppose I could use a program to erase the MBR if I really had to.

EDIT:
And the USB was used originally to install this OS on this machine so it's operational. The CD has been used countless times so it's also good.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 01-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Odanez
I am Jean Luc Bacardi

You could try this: Boot from a windows CD/DVD, and once it asks you about the hard drive to install to, you will also have the option to wipe a drive. There you can just wipe your entire drive, grub and all - now booting from the ubuntu CD should work...
Germany  Offline
Old 01-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
jmossman
Evil or Divine?

Lol, that's so simple it's genius. I'll give it a try

Additional Comment:

Well, deleted partitions, and it's loading up the files for install, so appears to be working. Thanks Odanez! If I wasn't so hung over maybe I wouldn't thought of it eventually lol.

Last edited by jmossman; 01-20-2012 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
-=bluebird=-
7|-|3 07|-|3 9

Next time you do this follow these steps:

in /etc/hostname the name is written in cleartext, just edit this file, reboot and your done. if you have set the same ip edit the network configuration in /etc.

btw the hostname in unix can be the same on every machine. dns/hosts and tcpip is the master for conflicts. only if you use samba, check the /etc/samba/smb.conf for the hostname next time.

bb
Germany  Offline
Old 01-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
UNIXgod
god of UNIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=bluebird=- View Post
Next time you do this follow these steps:

in /etc/hostname the name is written in cleartext, just edit this file, reboot and your done. if you have set the same ip edit the network configuration in /etc.

btw the hostname in unix can be the same on every machine. dns/hosts and tcpip is the master for conflicts. only if you use samba, check the /etc/samba/smb.conf for the hostname next time.

bb

^^^ THIS

also if you cant reboot. you can use the `hostname` command to set or read the hostname from your shell.
United States  Offline
Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #6
-=bluebird=-
7|-|3 07|-|3 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIXgod View Post
^^^ THIS

also if you cant reboot. you can use the `hostname` command to set or read the hostname from your shell.
exactly, full command would be "hostname -F /etc/hostname"

bb
Germany  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply