EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Linux, BSD, Alternative OS's

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 03-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
penguine
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Best for running off usb?

What's the best for running off a 16 gig flash drive...thats about it.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Chaoticthery
MUAR vcore!!!

Well I am currently running Puppy on a 16gig flash dive and it seems to be doing pretty well. Everything is really snappy and it was fairly easy to do. I am not sure if it is the best one though.
United States  Offline
Old 03-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
penguine
Banned!
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoticthery View Post
Well I am currently running Puppy on a 16gig flash dive and it seems to be doing pretty well. Everything is really snappy and it was fairly easy to do. I am not sure if it is the best one though.

Is there a guide or do I just use unetbooting to make it work?? I've used unetbooting before to do other distros, but didn't know if puppy had a special way to work??

puppy rarely works for me when I boot it off a cd and try to save to anything other then an internal hard drive..probably just me not doing something right..lol

Edit: What package manager does it use?? Also, is there a way to install any Linux app on any Linux distro or does it have to be that specific package manager??
United States  Offline
Old 03-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Chaoticthery
MUAR vcore!!!

I burned the latest Puppy .iso to a cd, and then you use the Bootflash and use all the recommended settings. Then when it says install puppy close that and run the puppy universal installer. when the yellow box pops up hit enter for all, but the last one i think. That you do a char and then enter. It is if you have more than 512mb of ram or something.

If i can find the guide i used i will post it in here.
United States  Offline
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
penguine
Banned!
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoticthery View Post
I burned the latest Puppy .iso to a cd, and then you use the Bootflash and use all the recommended settings. Then when it says install puppy close that and run the puppy universal installer. when the yellow box pops up hit enter for all, but the last one i think. That you do a char and then enter. It is if you have more than 512mb of ram or something.

If i can find the guide i used i will post it in here.

Thanks man.

I've got 2 gigs of ram so I should be good.

Have you ever used unetbooting?? It's easy for Linux distrs..It makes the usb drive act like a cd i guess..it puts the files on the usb drive in the right order to boot and install off the usb..but unsure if it'll work to install to usb.

if you find the guide, that would be awesome.

Fixing to crash. Gotta work early tomorrow. lol
United States  Offline
Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Chaoticthery
MUAR vcore!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguine View Post
Thanks man.

I've got 2 gigs of ram so I should be good.

Have you ever used unetbooting?? It's easy for Linux distrs..It makes the usb drive act like a cd i guess..it puts the files on the usb drive in the right order to boot and install off the usb..but unsure if it'll work to install to usb.

if you find the guide, that would be awesome.

Fixing to crash. Gotta work early tomorrow. lol
Puppy only takes up about 100mb of space, so that is more than enough.

I have never used unetbooting before, so i can not help you with that one.

Additional Comment:

Here is the guide I used.http://puppylinux.org/main/Puppy430-...al-English.pdf

Last edited by Chaoticthery; 03-01-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply