EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #21
slash_2_2000
No fire? Go higher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudboy View Post
Don't like the sound of that, what causes this? I would think that not using the proper chipset drivers could cause other problems and perhaps stability issues when overclocking?
It's really just the SATA drivers that are the problem. nVidia SATA drivers aren't designed with SSD's in mind, I'm not sure about other vendors, but it's a solid fact that nVidia storage drivers DRASTICALLY reduce SSD performance.

FYI, I've been running the basic Windows storage drivers (instead of nVidia ones) for years and have never had instability problems.
Australia  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #22
CRAZYCAP
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

nice recommendations. I have only just recently realized the benefits of AHCI over IDE.
Australia  Offline
Old 04-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #23
pheonix991
North Korea is Best

Add this in here, and it will be pretty much one of the best guides on the interwebs.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-location.html

If you have a small ssd, this is pretty crucial.
United States  Offline
Old 04-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #24
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix991 View Post
Add this in here, and it will be pretty much one of the best guides on the interwebs.

Thanks! I'll add it in shortly, and it is useful but, only if you don't know how to manage where install stuff. I use a 30GB myself for OS and have steadily been at 5GB free for the past 9 mo or so. Its all in making sure you install stuff on the secondary drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash_2_2000 View Post
It's really just the SATA drivers that are the problem. nVidia SATA drivers aren't designed with SSD's in mind, I'm not sure about other vendors, but it's a solid fact that nVidia storage drivers DRASTICALLY reduce SSD performance.

FYI, I've been running the basic Windows storage drivers (instead of nVidia ones) for years and have never had instability problems.
Correct, if you have an Intel MOBO/processor the chipsets help especially the RST (rapid storage technology) drivers/software for the ICH10R chipsets. Nvidia chipsets aren't recommended to install as those will often reduce performance.
United States  Offline
Old 04-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #25
pheonix991
North Korea is Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Thanks! I'll add it in shortly, and it is useful but, only if you don't know how to manage where install stuff. I use a 30GB myself for OS and have steadily been at 5GB free for the past 9 mo or so. Its all in making sure you install stuff on the secondary drive.
Stuff like steam and MS office use the registry to choose a default install point. I've come across a few others that did this, and I've also come across even more that I had to manually change the drives.

So, even though you do this, it isn't always 100%, but, still a good place to start.
United States  Offline
Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #26
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
Stuff like steam and MS office use the registry to choose a default install point. I've come across a few others that did this, and I've also come across even more that I had to manually change the drives.

So, even though you do this, it isn't always 100%, but, still a good place to start.
Actually steam just installs the games wherever steam is installed, so just make sure you install it on the drive you want ALL steam games on, MS Office installs the bulk of it wherever you want, be it may a few hundred MBs may get away from you its minuscule for the most part (assuming you don't use outlook for mail). Sorry to harsh your mellow though, I just consider myself a high level/advanced user so I don't fret the user file locations so much. Thanks for the info though it will be highly useful for applying for my GF when she gets my old machine to keep her from filling the things up.

Last edited by Spartacus; 04-26-2011 at 06:56 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 07-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #27
cpypcy
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Do not listen to this guy! He have NO IDEA how to setup windows for SSD and most of things he said in guide is complete bull**** or have nothing to do with SSD! Just google around and you'll see that his advice is complete bollocks!
Belgium  Offline
Old 07-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #28
Urbanfox
I Regret Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpypcy View Post
Do not listen to this guy! He have NO IDEA how to setup windows for SSD and most of things he said in guide is complete bull**** or have nothing to do with SSD! Just google around and you'll see that his advice is complete bollocks!
United States  Offline
Old 07-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #29
MadHax
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
I love how that is his only post...lol

Running 2x30GB in RAID0 now (couple years old, each reads I think at 175MB/s or 185MB/s) will try disabling system restore, I'm not sure if its on or not so it probably is

I do like hibernation though. Just personal preference. My PC gets powered on/off a lot

REALLY don't like the idea of disabling the page file though. I *only* have 4GB RAM for the near future but it never gets close to full...sometimes "free" gets low but "available" is always atleast like 1GB

Last edited by MadHax; 07-15-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Canada  Offline
Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #30
PommieB
Overclocker

Everybody as there own opinion or there own favorite site for setting up ssd's, doesn't matter how much you try to help people someone will always complain, you simply ignore people like that. Modern day ssd's running on modern day OS's need very little optimization. in the days of 60gb drives people needed to optimize to make more room on smaller drives, ssd drives do not always perform as well above 75% full, even today it's probably not a good idea to overfill a ssd drive, now 256gb as become the norm there is little reason to optimize to reduce space, just concentrate on the optimizations that reduce write amplification.

Spartacus posted the tutorial to help people and I'd say it as helped quite a number of people.

I still use hibernation, but there's little need for page files on a system with 4gb's or more of ram, System Restore depends on your knowledge of computers, sometimes there's a need to roll back OS set-up, especially if your OS drive is not backed up.
Australia  Offline
Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #31
MadHax
Learning To Overclock

I got a 30GB on sale super cheap a couple years ago back when i was running XP and there was enough space left for World of Warcraft on it...but then expansions came out and it wouldn't fit anymore so i got another :P

60GB is just barely enough for windows, the apps I use and Starcraft 2
Rest goes on the big drives
Canada  Offline
Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #32
PommieB
Overclocker

There will always be super cheap ssd's available, the technology has improved so much over the last three years that there will always be ssd drives available cheap with old technology, I never considered ssd drives until Intel released there 160gb g2 drive in late 2009, all I'm saying is people should check the technology before buying something super cheap.
Australia  Offline
Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #33
CountMike
Mildly OC-ed

All of those fixes are reversible so if one or more gives a trouble reverse it. Some of them are not mandatory and are left to users discretion. I did most of them except I am running Win8 and some of them (most important ones) are already implemented.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
After this you owe us at least jus as detailed information and explanations as well as some credentials, otherwise I have to put a Troll label on you.

Last edited by CountMike; 07-18-2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Serbia  Offline
Old 07-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #34
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

I still use some of these items for optimization to this day even after making it 3 years ago, and I'm now 3 different SSD's deep.
The only reason for the troll was because of my disclaimer, I would feel bad being blamed if someone mucks up their registry is all.
So I throw in some big red text, and I feel better about it .

However:
- I no longer do the regedits
- Defrag disable is automatic in win7/8
- Superfetch disable is automatic (with intel ssd toolbox optimizer)
- I have much more ram to justify the pagefile disable now 16gb
United States  Offline
Old 07-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #35
PommieB
Overclocker

I've only 4 gigs of ram in the laptop, I disabled the page file when I moved to a Intel G2 and didn't notice any differences so I left it disabled, I'm on my fourth ssd drive, I sold my original G2 which is still going strong, I have 2 Intel 510's and a M4 all still working with no problems.

Superfetch and any defragmentation is disabled. other than that I only made sure Trim was working, didn't worry about about anything else except naturally AHCI and alignment, I haven't run IDE for years and alignment was never a problem anyway.

Most of my ssd drives are 256gbs or above so I've never really worried about space saving optimizations, never worried too much about boot up times, all the drives on the same laptop booted within a second or two of each other anyway, I figure 12-14 secs from a cold boot not so bad from a standard win7 set-up.

I hate trolls who never give reasons and just rant for the sake of it.
Australia  Offline
Old 08-20-2013, 04:54 AM   #36
sysigy
Abandon All Hope!

I've read many SSD guides, all state the same or similar to the suggestions in this thread, which are all great I might add

However, the 'turning off pagefile' is fine BUT some applications, such as older applications and Photoshop etc, won't actually start without a pagefile (my last PC (W7 x64) and current (W8 x64) that feature an SSD for the OS have both had this problem).

So, my suggestion is to instead move the pagefile to your standard data harddrive so that it is not on the SSD, limit it to whatever size you're happy to (I personally use 2048 - 4096), this way any applications that are pagefile dependant will continue to work but the SSD is not being ruined by the pagefile.
Click image for larger version

Name:	pagefile.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	168329

I also moved my TEMP directory off of the SSD OS drive and put it on my data harddrive as it is written to lot by the OS.
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	168330

Last edited by sysigy; 08-20-2013 at 05:15 AM.
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #37
chartiet
"What did he say...?"

Quote:

thats one of the best versions of guides ive seen on how how to do this ever. good find.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply