EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Linux, BSD, Alternative OS's

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
Extreme Overclocker

building an ITX file server

im wanting to build a small foot print fileserver with an ITX embedded motherboard with 2x2tb hard drives to store movies/files/music, has any one had any luck with running linux on a board like this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157494

ive read alot of them don't like linux very much but i was hoping some one some where has done it
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
PhilZJ
Overclocker

I was thinking of doing a build in the fall for a file storage. I was going to go with FreeNAS though. Sorry that I can't help you with your specific board you posted though.
United States  Offline
Old 05-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
thread
Mad Warranty Voider

With that specific board - no idea.

But x86-based cpus are (pretty much) all supported by linux, as well as some types of non-x86
Intel HD graphics is well supported, nearly always including HD video decoding
USB is pretty much USB...SATA is pretty much SATA...

Is there any particular feature you're worried about?

The only thing that is sometimes a bit flaky is wireless support (WiFi/Bluetooth etc) for new or rare cards.
Australia  Offline
Old 05-14-2015, 06:08 AM   #4
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Ya, I'll agree with Thread.

The only thing I can think of is if the Sata ports are Intel or some other (marvel). The intel ports, from what I've seen always worked with FreeBSD or FreeNAS, while other controllers aren't always as reliable. (I've not researched Linux.) Although, I believe that if you don't do a raid your chances of having issues with your Sata controller are reduced even further.

Just curious, what case are you thinking of using? I'm still searching around for my build and I'm curious what you've run across.
United States  Offline
Old 06-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
Extreme Overclocker

sorry for the late reply but if any one else is still wondering about this system i have built it already. same board as i first posted with 4gb of hyper x ram, and 2 2tb hard drives inside a tiny lian li case with debian installed on a 64gb ssd and every thing works great, i had no problems getting debian installed and running flawlessly every thing worked right off the bat. so id say if any one was wanting to build a small footprint server id say this was ideal. it runs my samba server really well after some tweaking to get max transfer speeds it has been up for 3 weeks with out issues. oh and it is also running a starbound server that runs very very well for the specs of this machine, however it could use another 4gb stick of ram

Last edited by 0001; 06-19-2015 at 12:21 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 08-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Glad it's working, it's been a couple of months, still working well for you? I think next year I'll go ahead with my freeNAS build.
United States  Offline
Old 08-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

Realtek LAN. If you're transferring large files for sustained times you may see some throttling in speeds. Realtek drivers are crap, or maybe it's the chipset. I won't use anything but Intel or Broadcom NICs for anything high traffic.

EDIT: I suck at reading. Glad you got it up and running well.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 08-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #8
Extreme Overclocker

i have to agree with kwiksilver the transfer speed does suffer some what, i only noticed it when files were over 10gb, but it was still quick enough for me, i have now switched this to my file server/HTPC and it works great playing netflix/hulu and bluray movies, it is a shockingly good system i wish it did have a full size PCI-E 16x slot though and i do wish the LAN was better and also had a better USB 3.0 controller, it has a seizure some times when im using my kingston hyper x pen drive, im still running it with 4gb of ram i plan to max it out and put a better SSD in, and go to a pico PSU in the future, i really love this machine,im also looking into a better heatsink for the cpu, it gets quite hot when playing 1080p or a bluray, my Lian Li PC-Q08 case has tons of air flow, but it still is lacking on cooling for the cpu

Also note for the linux install, i gave archlinux/ubuntu/debian a try on this and had 0 problems with the installs, out of all them of debian ran the best had no driver issues it worked flawlessly with samba server after some tweaking i was able to get good transfer speeds and it was reliable as hell, i've had this machine on since day one, with about 3 restarts since i installed windows on it for use with as my HTPC, and its been solid and even with my 450w psu im using in it under idle it only uses 45w of power according to my UPS load its around 70

Last edited by 0001; 08-12-2015 at 01:11 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 08-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
PhilZJ
Overclocker

power usage seems a bit high, that's pretty much what my "media" pc uses and that's a standard tower pc with 2 spinny drives.

You're really making me want to start my own FreeNAS build, but I want to go intel ATOM with it and 6x 4TB HDD, but that's more than I can do this year
United States  Offline
Old 08-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
Extreme Overclocker

yeah power usage is high cause of the crappy psu im using, it will probably go down when i get a pico psu
United States  Offline
Old 08-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #11
PhilZJ
Overclocker

That makes sense, well thanks for being so prompt on the replies and glad you are loving your little build!
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply