EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #101
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchlife View Post
despite the factually incorrect information in the beginning of this post saying you can NOT overclock a Dell, here is a guide to overclock a DELL DIMENSION 9200

http://www.starless.nl/overclock.html

someone should really edit the first post to say Most dells can not be overclocked, but there are a few that can if you can find out what PLL is on the board
It is ALWAYS the same thing with ALL OEM computers. Open the side panel, look up the PLL, if it appears in one of the thousand billion buggy software overclocking programs then ENJOY THE OMG SPEED coming from your oh so great Pentium 4 2GHz that is already overheating due to the PrescHot core and the super crap Dell factory heatsink that can barely stand the stock speed temperature.

Seriously, get over it. Who here owns a Dell Dimension 9200? Just open the side panel, search your PLL chip, see if it's in the software. If it is, then congrats. If it is not, then too bad.

Generally, overclocking these CPU will put more strain on an already limited power supply, a poor board and cheap cooling. Thus accelerating the death of the whole PC, because as speed raises, so does vcore in a line that should not be.
Canada  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #102
buttons
BudgetBoy

shoot, came in hopeing that someone found a way to overclock optiplex gx745's. mine has a 2.2 core 2 duo (work pc)
United States  Offline
Old 10-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #103
redhatownage
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

the most ive found you can doo with a dell is edit the spd on some good low voltage rams
and run them at some slightly lower latencies i ran 2.5-3-3-7 at ddr400 duel chanel on an optiplex gx 220
you would be surprised at how much value crap ram will run these settings
United States  Offline
Old 12-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #104
chezteladog
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchlife View Post
despite the factually incorrect information in the beginning of this post saying you can NOT overclock a Dell, here is a guide to overclock a DELL DIMENSION 9200

http://www.starless.nl/overclock.html

someone should really edit the first post to say Most dells can not be overclocked, but there are a few that can if you can find out what PLL is on the board
I used this guide to OC my Dell dimension 9200 with an e4300 at 1.8ghz to 2.387 on windows xp 32bit. I installed windows 7 64bit last night and now if I try to OC at all it freezes. Even the tiniest bit locks it up. Anybody have any reason or fix for this? If I boot back into XP it's fine. Cpuz shows it going from 199 fsb to 266 fsb. Anything above that and it crashes in XP. I ran Prime95 overnight two nights in a row and no errors. Why would it work in XP and not with Windows 7? Clearly I am a newbie and have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just trying to squeeze a little more performance out of it to play games as I just put a low power 9800gt in it and want to get as much as I can out of the system. It's to be used as a HTPC.

Last edited by chezteladog; 12-04-2009 at 01:23 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 12-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #105
Carozzeria
▲▼▲

Probably not compatible with 64bit.
United States  Offline
Old 12-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #106
mccririck
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I have a Dell Vostro 410 with an E7400 CPU (for some reason the guy who sold it to me switched out the Q6600 and put an E7400 in. The E7400 is a 1066MHz chip but the motherboard can only do 800MHz, anyone know if it's possible to up this to 1066MHz?
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #107
maximus7724
^Hidden Guru^

what is cpu-z saying?
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 12-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #108
Neox69
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccririck View Post
I have a Dell Vostro 410 with an E7400 CPU (for some reason the guy who sold it to me switched out the Q6600 and put an E7400 in. The E7400 is a 1066MHz chip but the motherboard can only do 800MHz, anyone know if it's possible to up this to 1066MHz?
Hmm, I could swear that the Q6600 was a 1066mhz chip, so you shouldn't need to up anything... Have to tried putting in the E7400 then doing a complete BIOS reset (i.e. pull battery and disc PSU)?
United States  Offline
Old 01-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #109
maximus7724
^Hidden Guru^

Q600 is 1066
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 03-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #110
JohnLucente
Overclocking Wizord

ok, but what about an Emachine? [scr]http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/sFun_ahohno.gif[/scr]

.. **** what's the tag im looking for to make that emoticon work?
Canada  Offline
Old 07-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #111
jaykar
Extreme Overclocker

Hi,

Just ran across this thread and brought back memorys.

Bought Dell xpsR400 and V350 way back, New.
Tried to OC back then and (alot) of us tried but could'nt.

Dell techs told us we couldn't and even upgrading just the CPU
would not work.

Well about year later we went from 350&400 Mhz in my case to 750.
Three months later jumped them to 1 gig.
I-will slockets-flip chips did the trick.

Think we cost Dell a few bucks on that one.
Held on to them for a few more years for about $250.00.
Hop scotched the v-350 behind the R400 until 1G, then sold the 750 chip
full retail.

One of the Dell Techs from back then is still there and still laughs
about it.

Still have them in storage, both upgraded as far as could go-Win95-98-98se.
Max Ram, think 512-AGP Radeon 9800XT ect.
Still can play the old games like Mech Warrior 2 like crazy, My new ones sure won't.

Top dogs back then

Later

Last edited by jaykar; 07-14-2011 at 06:49 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 05-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #112
markem
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Smile Hacker Attack?

Hi! :-) I posted this in the newbie area but am now posting it here.

First, I have worked on both hardware and software in the computer industry since 1972. Did mainframes, minis, and micros. Know a lot about computers - but not everything. Not sure if any one person can know everything. Anyway...

Back in March a hacker by the name of Steven (I have a screen shot of his iPhone's Mac address taken off of the router's info) hacked in to all of our computers. Dopey me was using MPA instead of MPA2 at the time - so I kind of deserve getting hacked. The hacker did something to our laptops and web server. I am using Dell laptops exclusively now simply because they are cheap and I don't have a lot of money.

The symptoms are that the fans speed up and then slow down and the system runs slowly. I read up on it and it turns out the Intel SpeedStep is what causes this to happen. So I disabled SpeedStep. Happy ending - right? Well, maybe. I had downloaded a program called Everest Home Edition and ran it. It shows that all of the Dell computers are now being overclocked whereas before they were not. So they run fast - right? But as one of the original posters of this thread said - they also run hotter. Like over 165F. I really don't want my laptops to die on me from heat prostration - so is there any way to reduce the overclocking? Like - put it back to normal again? Or at least half of the speed it is trying to run at?

Here is what Everest says about the Dell Inspiron 1750 I mainly use:

Field Value
CPU FSB 465.47 MHz (original: 100 MHz, overclock: 365%)

So it is now overclocked to run 365% faster - only it also overheats faster. The thread running through here says you can't overclock a Dell. Obviously someone has figured out a way to do so. I'd just like to know what software they used to set it so I can go back and unset it.

TIA! :-)

Last edited by markem; 05-22-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Misspelling
United States  Offline
Old 05-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #113
Mr.Scott
Chief Engineer

Quote:
CPU FSB 465.47 MHz (original: 100 MHz, overclock: 365%)
No chance in hell.
Everest is reading the actual quad pumped clocks. It should be 116-117 FSB. Yes, still a small OC but not 365%.
It's obviously software or virus. Treat it as such. Kill all the startups and virus check.
United States  Offline
Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #114
markem
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I use Avira but I've run Kapersky's TDSKILLER, Rogue Killer, ComboFix, McAfee's HijackThis, SUPERAntiSpyware, Spybot S&D, AVG's Antispyware (free edition), as well as Emisoft's antivirus program and three others - all negative on finding anything. I can try running Everest via the safe startup to see if it changes the values. At least the temps are back down after I turned off SpeedStep. They are staying in the low 100s (like 111F). More after I reboot.

Additional Comment:

Ok. When I rebooted into safe mode Everest did not even report the FSB information but when I start up normally I get the following. It doesn't make sense that Everest would report everything else correctly but the FSB incorrectly. It also doesn't make sense (to me) that the FSB information would not show up under safe mode. It is suspicious. After a second day of having turned off SpeedStep - all of the temps are back to normal and only flair up a bit when under heavy usage. Still, it would be nice to know why Everest reports the FSB like it does. Is there another piece of software I can use to look at the speed of the FSB? (I am also using SpeedFan to monitor the fans on the system.) TIA! :-)

See attached file
Attached Files
File Type: txt Report.txt (33.7 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by markem; 05-23-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 05-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #115
markem
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Ok - this just gets better. :-P

I did some checking around and found CPU-Z. It is saying the FSB is clocked at 199MHz but is running at 788MHz! I'm attaching the report. I'm beginning to think that I should just drop this as the numbers don't add up and the temp of my computer is back to normal after just disabling the SpeedStep stuff from Intel. Feel free to comment though. It would be interesting to know why both Everest and CPU-Z get these really high numbers.
Attached Files
File Type: txt DEVELOPER.txt (63.9 KB, 101 views)
United States  Offline
Old 05-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #116
kwiksilver
: فͤ҈ͥ҉ͦ҈ͧ҉ͨ҈ͩ҉ͪ҈ͫ҉ͬ
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Ok - this just gets better. :-P

I did some checking around and found CPU-Z. It is saying the FSB is clocked at 199MHz but is running at 788MHz!
P4's are quad pumped which is why you are seeing those numbers.

No one hacks into your company to overclock your computers. If you think you have a virus wipe and reload your system. You'll be fine. I highly doubt someone took the time to crack your WPA passkey just to overclock your laptops.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 05-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #117
Mind_Reader7
Cpt. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiksilver View Post
someone took the time to crack your WPA passkey just to overclock your laptops.
I don't know why this was so funny, but I lol'd pretty hard at the thought.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 09-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #118
Retrorockit
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
http://valid.x86.fr/rj66jm
Dell cooler T9303, Dimension E520,QX6800SLACP,Throttlestop software, Some Enzotech copper HS, GTX750Ti O/C, Coolermaster 500W psu
Old thread new info. I had a lot of fun doing this and it was very easy.
Or:
QX6700, D9729 cooler 3.2Ghz@1.4v. bolt in parts no other mods required Prime95X4 stable.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply