EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Cases, Case Accessories, Case Modding

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
REDSPD3GT
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Corsair 900d with 5 radiators

Hello EOCers whats up? Well I am back to gaming after many years. I got a 900d for a stupid deal. Anyways I wanna run 5 radiators. Probably overkill, ha but thats what I do. Well my questions are fan layout. Do I use a push, pull or push/pull configuration? Also what about airflow? Would it be better to bring outside air into the case through radiators or draw the air out? All input from everyone would be appreciated.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-20-2016, 03:50 AM   #2
mimart7
Je plie, donc je suis

The front and bottom of the case should draw air in. The top, and rear of the case should be exhaust.
United States  Offline
Old 05-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #3
EMU
Gold Member

With so much rad surface area, I don't think it will be necessary to use push/pull. Your water delta temperature would be good, and you might as well save a little money on fans.

Push it's typically preferred for single fan setups, but I would use the method that is easiest to mount the rad's and run lines as clean as possible.

In general, I prefer to have a little more intake than exhaust, and prefer to have the exhaust rads plumbed before the intake in the loop. This will make a minor difference in case temperature, but will be there nonetheless. In general, plumb the cleanest and shortest lines you can.

What radiators are you planning to use. Thinner radiators with low fpi will work better with push only, but will have more restriction. How much pumping power are you planning on having, and how many components are you cooling? What tubing are you going to use? Hardline tubing with larger radius bends typically have less restriction compared to elbow fittings. But it's a marginal difference. The larger benefit of hardline is less plasticizer leaching compared to flexible tubing. I mostly use flexible tubing for easier installation since my loops aren't show pieces, and I change the tubing periodically if I see any sign of leaching.
Netherlands  Offline
Old 05-21-2016, 09:32 PM   #4
REDSPD3GT
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Many thanks for the guidance and tips. From my last attempted build I do have a brand new Swiftech 4x120 rad left over so I was just gonna purchase more of that brand. Unless you have a better suggestion. I also have a brand new D5T strong/810n pump and a new Switc h mcp655-b pump. I believe they are the same. Well just the cpu and a quad sli setup. I have so much 1/2" flexible tubing, its not even funny. So using the push configuration do I push hot air into the case?
United States  Offline
Old 05-23-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
EMU
Gold Member

Swiftech rad's aren't bad. I would just read some reviews and look at dimensions of different radiators to see what fits easiest without requiring modifications.

As far as airflow, front/bottom should be intake, top/rear exhaust. Push just means that the fan blows through the radiator, rather than sucking the air through.

Good info to research...
http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11...or-round-2015/
https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com
http://thermalbench.com

Some of the data may be a little old, but most of the radiators are exactly the same as they we're a few years ago, so the data is still relevant.
Netherlands  Offline
Old 06-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #6
REDSPD3GT
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Many thanks EMU. I will check out the info

Additional Comment:

Ha ok got bit by the radiator bug. Gonna add another radiator. Bringing the amount to 6. Overkill? Current layout. In the front I have a 3x120 rad.Using 2 140mm fans as pushers and 3 120 as pullers (intake). On top I have a 4x120 rad in push/pull configuration(exhaust) Out back I have a 1x140 rad in push/pull(exhaust). On the window side I have a 4x120 in pull for now(intake). And on the other side I have a 2x120 push(exhaust) and an externally mounted 1x120pull(exhaust). But might just get another 4x120 and replace those 2. If I mount the lower rads externally I would be able to set up push/pull on those as well. Input and opinions are need and welcomed

Last edited by REDSPD3GT; 06-14-2016 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 11-24-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
REDSPD3GT
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Well I was almost finished with the build. But I decided to change all the Corsair AF fans(25-120mm and 2-140mm) out and switch them to Corsair SP fans. The 120s are SP120 31-002319(static pressure 4mm/H20). And the 140s are Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM. But now I was gonna change out the 120s to Delta AFB1212vhe-F00(static pressure 10.67mm/H20). Am I just getting paranoid about cooling or will I notice a difference in temps? And 5 rads are set up push/pull config. Only one is set up as push. All input and advice will be appreciated. Also how to I add my signature to my posts?
United States  Offline
Old 12-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #8
BlastMaster
Old Soldier

Post a couple of pics. I'd like to see it. For the record I prefer the Corsair High SP 120/140 fans because they are reasonably quiet and the noise doesn't really ramp up until after about 75-80% of max speed which you won't really need with all your surface area.

I avoid Deltas for two reasons, LOUD (may have changed but they used to be very, and I once had one slice my finger. Just my $.02.
United States  Offline
Old 12-14-2016, 02:06 AM   #9
Almost Tactf
DT 1770 and a Lyr

So I ALWAYS used to swear to use a push/pull setup because it was clearly better. Well in my old age, I came to finally understand that it isn't. Most people also say that push is better, when it in fact, just isn't. Here's a nice video to give an overview....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyC3lZ5WFMk

My current build has my fans in a pull config. Temps are amazing and I couldn't be happier.
United States  Offline
Old 12-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #10
REDSPD3GT
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Hey guys whats up? Had a couple of water leaks during fill up. That Koolance 452x2 v 2.0 is a hard reservoir to fill and bleed. I managed to get it done. I do believe i still have some air bubbles to get rid of. So far running for 6 hours(water loops only) and no leaks. Running 2 Lamptron fan controllers to tame the Deltas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	172269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	172270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1037.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	172271   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1036.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	172272  

Last edited by REDSPD3GT; 12-25-2016 at 10:56 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 12-24-2016, 10:29 PM   #11
BlastMaster
Old Soldier

That's a lot packed into that space. Looks a lot cleaner than mine would be.
United States  Offline
Old 12-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #12
REDSPD3GT
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Many thanks bro. I still have air bubbles in the reservoir. Flow seems good though. Water loops running for 12 hours now, no leaks. First time running hard lines. Not too bad i believe. Anyone know how to enable the signature option?
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply