EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > General Hardware & Peripherals > Cases, Case Accessories, Case Modding

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-29-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Case recomendation please

I'd like your help with finding a new case. I currently have an Antec P182 case which I really like, however I'll be looking at upgrading my PC soon with a Z370 board and Coffee lake whenever it comes out and I'm thinking of keeping my existing pc intact (from sig) and just building a new one. With that said I need some help with a case.

I'm planning to stick to aircooling although I might get an H100i for the cpu. What I want the most is quiet case with some dust filters. I prefer a solid side panel to reduce the amount of light it puts out in the room but that's not a huge problem. My next build will have most likely 2 drives, 1 M.2 and one SSD or two M.2 drives. Historically I've always had 1 GPU, I can't imagine that would change. (for now I will keep my 1080 from my current rig). Weight is also not a problem, the P182 is heavy but the only time I move it is once a year to the garage to use the compressor to blow any dust that makes it past the airfilters. Price wise, I'm pretty open, I tend to keep my stuff a long time (except gpu...) so I don't mind spending a bit more to get something I like.

Thanks in advance
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-30-2017, 12:08 AM   #2
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

I can't tout my fractal design case enough: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811352056
I removed the hdd bays and put a H110i on it for my CPU (has spots for 2.5" SSDs on the back side of the case), noise dampening material, and several color/window options (or lack of window in your preference). The dust filters are easily accessible to clean anytime you like, just get enough positive airflow.

United States  Offline
Old 06-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
N64link
I am the law?

I agree that the fractal is a great choice. I used that case When I over hauled my brother's PC. Great dust filters, can't hear nvida barrel fans when that side panel is on, Good amount of room to work in.
United States  Offline
Old 06-30-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Sweet, thanks for the recommendation.
Quick question about the h100i cooler. Are you pulling the air into the case?
Would it be better if I got an h80 and have it blow out the back?

Also, the top panel looks like it's build in segments, can it have a blow hole up there?

Additional Comment:

Is this R2 case a slightly bigger version of the R5?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811352029

I like the top radiator room on that one. What do you guys think?

Last edited by PhilZJ; 06-30-2017 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 06-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #5
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

My workstation at work is built in a Corsair 400Q case. I was stunned by the quality of the case itself and the materials. It also seems exceptionally silent.

This rig is fitted with a Corsair H115i (280mm rad if I remember) and I've tweaked the BIOS to keep the fans at the slowest settings until I cant keep them quiet anymore (~70c IIRC). I NEVER hear a sound from the thing unless I'm doing FEAs and this **** 6700K peaks to hell and back... but any case you'd hear it when the fans goes 100%.
Canada  Offline
Old 06-30-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Nagoshi, how do you get to the filters? Case looks good though!
United States  Offline
Old 06-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #7
Nagoshi
Canuck Chicken Chaser

If my memory serves me right, the filters are held by magnets, so no fiddling with clips and stuff. The front filter is behind the front panel and may require the removal of the panel. Since the IO is at the top, it should be something easy to do.

I'll be honest that we (neither IT or me) cleaned the rig since we got it so I haven't a clue on how to do this... yet. I was planning on asking them if they were planning on cleaning it... considering these rigs are custom-built and much more expensive than the Dell Precision towers we have everywhere else, we probably should take good care of them!
Canada  Offline
Old 07-02-2017, 10:15 PM   #8
PhilZJ
Overclocker

I looked up a few video reviews and I think I like the R5 better.
Thanks for the suggestions
United States  Offline
Old 07-02-2017, 11:33 PM   #9
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilZJ View Post
Sweet, thanks for the recommendation.
Quick question about the h100i cooler. Are you pulling the air into the case?
Would it be better if I got an h80 and have it blow out the back?

Also, the top panel looks like it's build in segments, can it have a blow hole up there?
I am pushing air into the radiator in that picture (I have an old 2600k currently and it runs pretty cool so didn't need all 4 fans with 280mm of cooling).

My plan eventually is to get an H90 (140mm) for the CPU to attach to the back output (and push/pull out the back), then move the h110i to the GPU and add fans for push/pull). You can do either sufficiently, depends on your needs.

The top panel is in segments, depending on the radiator size you might need to remove the 5.25 bay, or be unable to use the top slot in your 5.25. I opted to leave them on because they help dampen the noise, its a bit louder when they're off.

I attached a picture of all of the different radiator mounting options and sizes, I have the 280mm attached to the front in my picture (keep in mind some of them require removal of bays/non-use of some of the slots as I mentioned), very versatile case though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiator options.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	172653  
United States  Offline
Old 07-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Yep, I was thinking of sticking to the h90 too. I don't expect the coffee lake to produce significantly more heat than the 2600k I have now.

Thanks again, now I need to track down a psu.

Additional Comment:

Quick question about the ssd drive slot behind the motherboard. Is there enough airflow back there to keep the drive at a normal temperature?

Last edited by PhilZJ; 07-04-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
United States  Offline
Old 07-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #11
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

I think you'd only have to worry about airflow with a M2 drive.Regular ssd's I wouldn't think get overly hot.
Canada  Offline
Old 07-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #12
Spartacus
HULK SMASH!

I haven't had any issues with my samsung 850 pro or my intel series 335 that was there before on the back side (I run 24/7).
Standard 2.5" SSD shouldn't need airflow, the case around the flash chips and controller provide enough of a heatsink its not needed (and its connected to the case directly so heat would transfer to the case if needed).
Not sure how a NVMe 2.5" would differ though.

Do m.2's really get that hot? or just certain performance ones?
United States  Offline
Old 07-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #13
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

I'm not sure if they still do but the first ones were having problems with heat but a M2 wouldn't be in behind anyway.
Canada  Offline
Old 07-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #14
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
I haven't had any issues with my samsung 850 pro or my intel series 335 that was there before on the back side (I run 24/7).
Standard 2.5" SSD shouldn't need airflow, the case around the flash chips and controller provide enough of a heatsink its not needed (and its connected to the case directly so heat would transfer to the case if needed).
Not sure how a NVMe 2.5" would differ though.

Do m.2's really get that hot? or just certain performance ones?
Ya, exactly, I am gonna go with a Corsair H90 or a Nocuta (if it fits, otherwise stick to CM hyper 212+ ) so I'll have sufficient airflow in the case, so I'm not super worried about the M.2

Thanks for the feedback
United States  Offline
Old 07-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #15
jbmcmillan
OLD FART

Article of interest maybe.

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/ek_..._heatsink.html
Canada  Offline
Old 07-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #16
digitaldd
Blah Blah Blah

The M.2 heatsink is an interesting idea. Hopefully it fits below the main graphics card slot on the motherboard where most vendors seem to put the M.2 slot.
United States  Offline
Old 07-07-2017, 01:44 AM   #17
PhilZJ
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmcmillan View Post
Very interesting, I'll have to read up on the heat / performance of the M.2

thanks for sharing
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links: