EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Linux, BSD, Alternative OS's

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 06-27-2004, 12:06 PM   #21
ThatFunkyMunki
Restricted Access
Restricted Access

you sure can, but, you have to go through quite a lot to actually do so. for example, the inittab is like nowhere, so you're stuck booting in graphical. kind of sucks, doesnt it?
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-27-2004, 12:10 PM   #22
Copycat
Resident skydiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompDude
Unfortunately that is true, but just like any other distro you can fine tune it just how you like it. You can configure things to startup, aswell as downloading the compilers with the package updater(Or so I have heard)

Just presenting a counterpoint.
Of course! But it's not true at all, at installation time you can choose every single service that will boot up, and you can configure to start without X, and then run startx..
Version 9.1 (running right now) it's plain awesome! Just check "expert" at installing, and you'll be amazed...
Italy  Offline
Old 06-27-2004, 12:35 PM   #23
CompDude
Diehard Linux User

Yea, I really have no clue about Drake....but its still Linux so I would think it can do everything that any other distro can.
United States  Offline
Old 07-13-2004, 03:29 PM   #24
darren.genius

Quote:
Yea, I really have no clue about Drake....but its still Linux so I would think it can do everything that any other distro can.
lol im totaly confused if i were to tell u i need a os that lets me surf and play games which one would you suggest also bearing in mind im complete linux noob?
Old 07-13-2004, 06:34 PM   #25
CompDude
Diehard Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.genius
lol im totaly confused if i were to tell u i need a os that lets me surf and play games which one would you suggest also bearing in mind im complete linux noob?
Every linux can do what all the others can do. Its simple as that. Its jsut that distro's like Fedora, Mandrake, or Suse will get you up and runnign faster and with less hassle, but less tweaking. I say go with Drake. I am beginning to hate FC.
United States  Offline
Old 07-13-2004, 07:46 PM   #26
ThatFunkyMunki
Restricted Access
Restricted Access

i'd say Xandros.
United States  Offline
Old 07-20-2004, 02:43 PM   #27
arkaine23
Overclocker

Yoper

You guys should give Yoper a try. I just got onboard with the development team and hopefully will crank out a Yoper live CD soon.

Anyway this distro is fast. I mean its like gentoo, but it installs very easily (in miuntes instead of days). We acheive this with a lot of things-

kernel patches (current release uses 2.6.7)
reiserfs
i686 optimized binaries (managed by apt-get/synaptic)
stripping
dma by default
light install (no bloat)
United States  Offline
Old 07-22-2004, 07:35 PM   #28
CompDude
Diehard Linux User

I will try and install Yoper tomorrow on the development box. Will write the small thought review on it in the next couple of days.
United States  Offline
Old 09-08-2004, 03:09 AM   #29
watto86
Emcee Ronny Mc D

Thank you CompDude. Helpful sticky. Sorry I didn't read it earlier guys. I'll look at getting either Knoppix or Red Hat. Once again thanx... And soz.

Last edited by watto86; 09-11-2004 at 02:50 AM.
Australia  Offline
Old 09-08-2004, 10:36 AM   #30
NoAffinity
Saikyooooooo!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.genius
What kind of games you looking to play? There's plenty of cool games included with most distros...but nothing like Halo or Far Cry. Some newer games do get released for Linux (UT, Neverwinter Nights, and hopefully soon Doom3), and WineX offers emulation anywhere from full compatibility to extreme glitchiness. For a pure gaming platform, unfortunately M$ can't be beat. Like these guys said, no one distro offers anything really more or less than any other distro. The pre-defined configurations and interface vary from one to the other, but ultimately it's all Linux. Just find one you like (try out different distros, if you feel so inclined), and stick with that.

And to add to the discussion of our favorite distros, I just put Convectiva Linux 10 on a back-up hard drive. So far, I've been pretty impressed with the interface. The initial installation takes a little more direct involvement than say Mandrake or Suse, but it is compatible with newer hardware (primarily the 875 chipset), whereas Suse is not. Anybody looking to give a new different distro a try, I recommend CL10.
United States  Offline
Old 09-11-2004, 06:21 PM   #31
CompDude
Diehard Linux User

Sorry I haven't reviewed any more distros lately. I have been really busy. I will try and get one up tomorrow if I have the time.
United States  Offline
Old 09-12-2004, 06:42 PM   #32
E1000BASE-TX
Wardriver

Hmm not much on PHLAK.

PHLAK([P]rofessional [H]acker's [L]inux [A]ssault [K]it) is a live boot linux(baced off knopix) designed to probe and test networks for security threats. Some of the security programs that are used in PHLAK are...

Security Tools
Debian Packages:
aide, airsnort, amap, argus-client, argus-server, arpd, arping, arpwatch, autopsy, bfbtester, biew, bing, cabextract, cflow, cheops, chkrootkit, chntpw, cracklib2, cryptcat, darkstat, dlint, dnswalk, driftnet, dsniff, echoping, etherape, ethereal, ethereal-commo, ethereal-dev, ettercap-commo, ettercap-gtk, farpd, fenris, flawfinder, fping, fragroute, fragrouter, freeswan, ftp-ssl, gdb, gnupg, gtkrecover, hammerhead, hping2, httptunnel, httpush, hunt, icmpinfo, icmpush, idswakeup, ipchains, iproute, iptraf, iputils-ping, irpas, isic, john, kismet, l2tpd, lde, libcrypt-blowf, libcrypt-cbc-p, libcrypt-ciphe, libcrypt-crack, libcrypt-gpg-p, libcrypt-hcesh, libcrypt-passw, libcrypt-rijnd, libcrypt-smbha, libcrypt-sslea, libcrypt-unixc, libcrypto++-de, libcrypto++-ut, libcrypto++5, lsof, ltrace, macchanger, mtr, nasm, nast, nbtscan, nemesis, nessus, nessus-plugins, nessusd, netsed, ngrep, nikto, nmap, nmapfe, nstreams, ntop, openssl, p0f, packit, paketto, partimage, pnscan, pptpd, rarpd, recover, scanssh, scli, secpanel, sendip, sing, sleuthkit, smb-nat, socat, spikeprox, splint, ssh, ssh-askpass-gn, ssldump, strace, stunnel, stunnel4, sudo, tcpdump, tcpflow, tcpreplay, tcpslice, tcptrace, tethereal, transproxy, tsocks, valgrind, wipe

Hand-compiled Packages
01-sdi-brutus-eng.pl, ADM-SAMBA-CLIENT, ADMsnmp, SPIKE, WAP_Assessment, babelweb, cmospwd, dcetest, dcfldd, dd_rescue, ddb-sfe, di, domainobsencontroll, fatback, ffp, grenzgaenger, hackbot, hellkit, hjksuite, hydra, ipsorc, isnprober, itunnel, lcrzeox, lj, login_hacker, mac-robber, manipulate_data, md5deep, memfetch, netcat(compiled statically with Big-Gaping Security Hole), numby, obiwan, objobf, ol2mbox, onesixtyone, pandora-linux, photorec, pwl9x, rda, redir, reverb, revinetd, samba-tng, sara, screamingCobra, secure_delete, sharefuzz, shiva, slogdump, snapscreenshot, tarballz, tct, thcrut, tnef, vmap, walker, wardrive, whisker, zylyx

Windows Packages (using wine)
achillies, AINTX, brutus, THC-CUPASS, ispy, nbtdump, photorec, md5deep, pdd.

My opinion This is a fun tool to use for both good or evil deeds. I recumend this to any Network admin with the ideal gole of making his or her network more secure. Or to any wanabe H4X0R to rain tarror to his or her school network.
Tonga  Offline
Old 09-12-2004, 09:30 PM   #33
runlinux
MC Number Cruncher

hehe, you sparked the wrong mind....

Slackware 8 - i learned on this. i really liked how you had complete control over everything. upgrding was a pain as you had to compile everything for your system, but i got used to it.

Debian - my friend got me into this and i loved it even more than slackware. upgrading was easy but i broke it all the time.

Fedora Core - only linux install i was able to get my usb mouse to work with. like it for that reason only.
Aauria Hibedi  Offline
Old 09-13-2004, 01:35 AM   #34
instinctgone
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Dyne:Bolic is another great live-distro, I have experimented with quite a different live distro's and this one has worked best over the different machines I have used it on (actively promoting open source operating systems to several clients and other people I come across). In all reality you need to wiegh what you will be using the live system for against what each distro has to offer, they are all unique in thier own way.
United States  Offline
Old 10-26-2004, 05:03 AM   #35
CompDude
Diehard Linux User

Are there any distros that you all would like me to try?
United States  Offline
Old 12-07-2004, 03:53 PM   #36
RPG Donkey
Jackass of all Trades

I'm getting a little confused on Suse. Probably because they are opinions on 2 different versions of it.

Can I get an opinion on Suse pro 9.1, and possibly tell me a little bit about Suse Enterprise 9 server? I got the evaluation copies when they were available, and I have been thinking of setting up a web/file server ever since.

That's all I will ask, as I don't want to crap up this thread too much.
Canada  Offline
Old 12-07-2004, 05:50 PM   #37
sc0ur
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I've never used Linux but as I have an older comp (PIII) I have decided to see what it is all about. I have just started downloading Yoper right now and I have it up and running in.. 35 minutes remaining so maybe an hour
New Zealand  Offline
Old 12-13-2004, 01:08 PM   #38
junkilo
ΣϋpéЯΜάΠ

Quote:
I ran it for two days, I just didn't feel comfortable with it. I am guessing people just don't use mandrake and cannot have a truly valid opinion.
I've used mandrake in the enterprise actually and (like any distro) if you know the installation process it can be a ok general purpose distro. I tried once to try to clean it up though and get it ready for hardcore use as a frontend webserver and was really disgusted and turned off by the default apache2 setup and junked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by settite
FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD = best for servers imho...
yea, openbsd is what goes on all my desktops and servers. I use it also in the enterprise for the higher end php/mysql hosting and firewalling, intrusion and proxying.
United States  Offline
Old 12-13-2004, 02:46 PM   #39
Copycat
Resident skydiver

apache2 is not really that disgusting, i kinda like the extra security measures it installs by default (no folder browsing) and the advanced extranet includes open ssl

and i like mdk most... slack comes in a close second, and suse (or what it used to be) 3rd.
Italy  Offline
Old 12-13-2004, 03:13 PM   #40
junkilo
ΣϋpéЯΜάΠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copycat
apache2 is not really that disgusting, i kinda like the extra security measures it installs by default (no folder browsing) and the advanced extranet includes open ssl
It was mainly the compiled in modules by default that I was having a hard time with when I was removing dso modules and working with adding some others. if i didnt have the need to hack it to bits i'm sure it wouldve been fine-
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply