EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Linux, BSD, Alternative OS's

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 12-23-2004, 01:26 PM   #41
D_unruled
Needles FTW

I can review only mandrake and knoppix so far:

Mandrake: 9.1 ran okay. Very easy installation. When I tried 10.1 I could not get my internet working NO MATTER WHAT. It also seemed quite buggy at times. So Ive given up on it and am on the lookout for another distro for dualboot. Anyone up for recommending me an easy install distro?

Knoppix: Being a live distro, its got TONS and I mean TONS of programs on it. Infact, a bit too much, but thats alright. Its nice to have if u first want to check out linux before installing it. Its also good as backup/recovery.
Netherlands  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 12-30-2004, 10:44 AM   #42
shabby1mn
How warm is too warm?

Linux Distro for a router

I'm going to be using my P2 box for a Linux router soon. I would just go and use one of those floppy distros, but I would also like to have my temespeak server to be running on there as well. Which Distro would you suggest and does anyone have any tips on setting this up? Setting up portforwarding and such is a requirement, so that must be possiable and somewhat easy. (I was using redhat 9.X before for a VPN router with TS running on it, but setting up the forwarding was impossiable).
Old 01-03-2005, 11:19 AM   #43
shabby1mn
How warm is too warm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby1mn
I'm going to be using my P2 box for a Linux router soon. I would just go and use one of those floppy distros, but I would also like to have my temespeak server to be running on there as well. Which Distro would you suggest and does anyone have any tips on setting this up? Setting up portforwarding and such is a requirement, so that must be possiable and somewhat easy. (I was using redhat 9.X before for a VPN router with TS running on it, but setting up the forwarding was impossiable).
Echo...... *hears a pin drop in the next room*

Anyone willing to help out here, or is it going to be the typical lack of help?
and don't whine about bumping the thread.... I waited for a response for 5 days with nothing.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:18 PM   #44
65stang
Learning To Overclock

i dunno which linux to run....i read the sticky, but it was missing some verions, ive used suse before and loved it but it wasnt in the list in the sticky....i was just wanting to compare them all before i chose
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2005, 06:00 PM   #45
jeremy
moo!

does anybody know of a distro that:

- can be used for everything..
- looks nice, but not too many bells and whistles...
- really stable, and works well on a 800mhz P3...
- and is not a resource hog?

ive got mandrake right now i hate it.. (double post )
United States  Offline
Old 02-23-2005, 08:18 PM   #46
species8472
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

slackware 10.1
United States  Offline
Old 02-24-2005, 06:37 AM   #47
jeremy
moo!

sweet.. i already downloaded it the cd images before.. i was hoping somebody would tell me that ...

oh yeah btw, Linux kindof looks bad on my monitor, and the fonts are messed up, any way to fix that? I'm on 800x600, and i guess most linux distros are made for 1024 mostley...
United States  Offline
Old 02-24-2005, 07:01 AM   #48
species8472
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Not necessarily. It can be run at any resolution. I've never had any problems with the fonts it uses. Post a screen shot and maybe we can get an idea of what you mean.
United States  Offline
Old 03-14-2005, 08:50 PM   #49
johnny45
Whereain Kelly

Ok, I know everyone hates this question: which distro should I use?

Hopefully, someone will help me out though. I am just trying to set up a Pydance (ddr clone) box, using the EMS USB2( playstation to usb convertor).

I love the idea of linux being able to run very light, and therefore can be optimized for specific application. The only problem is, I don't really have time to digest the tons of distros, and learn all the commands.

I am wanting a noobish friendly distro that hogs very few resources. In fact, it would be better if it booted straight to this game. I may dual boot to windows 95( or 98) to play another game on it, so I could use it to move files onto the drive.

I am thinking about using an older computer... around 600 mhz, 256 pc100 ram, etc. but I don't know if this will be powerful enough.

Any advice? Thanks, and sorry for disturbing the fire gods of linux.
United States  Offline
Old 03-14-2005, 09:34 PM   #50
species8472
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

anything really should do the trick. maybe fedora core or so would do the trick for you. btw why not use stepmania. i've never messed with pydance; however, stepmania tends to be the standard so i guess im just curious why you don't use stepmania. you shouldn't have any problem with that adapter though. i know a couple people who use that adapter in linux with no problems.
United States  Offline
Old 03-14-2005, 10:30 PM   #51
johnny45
Whereain Kelly

hmm... guess I never saw stepmania. Well, if anyone knows about pydance/stepmania and why I should use either, pm me.

I haven't used either, and have never installed linux before. I have loaded up knoppix and a live distro that plays dvds, and that's the limit to my linux usage.

I guess I just don't know where to start, I have heard negative things about fedora. I have Suse 9.1 downloaded from awhile back, but I have never installed it.

Oh well, I guess I'll try fedora then? Honestly, how hard do you think it will be to set up for a total newbie? I want it to be very simple to start up the game too. What if I wanted to set up a Windows emulator? I want to be able to play an old windows 3.1/95 game called "Quest for Fame." You can play guitar with a pick that attaches to the game port.

Basically I don't want to have to build a custom OS from a really basic linux core, nor do I want to have to take a built up linux OS and strip it down.

I just want a simple GUI, maybe something that makes working with drivers easy(especially usb issues), and something that comes with, or would be easy to set up a windows emulator.

Sorry for gunking up this thread

Last edited by johnny45; 03-14-2005 at 10:49 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 03-17-2005, 03:48 PM   #52
Sled
Learning To Overclock

I've used Redhat 9 and all the Fedora versions to date. I disagree with the people who say that redhat and Fedora are only for new users. Fedora does offer a ton of graphical tools that you can install and use as you see fit but you don't have to use them.
During install you can put in as many graphical tools as any other distro but if you choose not to install them you still have all the other tools available in any other distro. I see no harm in having as many options available as possible. It was mentioned earlier that you can start from command to keep the services less bulky and start x if needed by typing startx, I cna go a step further. You can set xfs to not start up at boot also, xfs is the service that runs x. Then should you need a graphcal you can go: services xfs start then startx.
Just one example.

Last edited by Sled; 03-18-2005 at 08:44 AM.
United States  Offline
Old 04-03-2005, 10:10 AM   #53
CompDude
Diehard Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
sweet.. i already downloaded it the cd images before.. i was hoping somebody would tell me that ...

oh yeah btw, Linux kindof looks bad on my monitor, and the fonts are messed up, any way to fix that? I'm on 800x600, and i guess most linux distros are made for 1024 mostley...
Did you enable Anti-aliasing on the fonts?
United States  Offline
Old 04-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #54
-=bluebird=-
7|-|3 07|-|3 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby1mn
Echo...... *hears a pin drop in the next room*

Anyone willing to help out here, or is it going to be the typical lack of help?
and don't whine about bumping the thread.... I waited for a response for 5 days with nothing.

you should check out the netfilter howto at www.netfilter.org
Germany  Offline
Old 04-05-2005, 07:12 PM   #55
johnny45
Whereain Kelly

I've been looking around everywhere, and everyone says "any distro will work as long as you configure it right". No dip. Its the same operating system, so of course you can practically turn any distro to another distro if you know what you are doing.

Well, I need to run stepmania, and soley stepmania, and I have no idea what I am doing. Which distro should I use? I installed Suse9.1, but it seems like it has a lot of extra things automatically installed that I won't need. I don't know how to strip it down either.

I am willing to switch distros, or if you recommend Suse, then tell me what to do, or show me some links.

I appreciate any advice.
United States  Offline
Old 04-08-2005, 04:43 PM   #56
muziqaz
Learning To Overclock

Wink

I use fedora core 1st and 3rd, also trying suse 9.1 personal
and I can say those distros are really easy for newbies as myself. I learned from these distros the basics of linux and am lookin' forward to trying another distros, tho dont have much time @ the moment. For everyone new to linux I'd suggest to use first fedora, suse or mandrake first, then try something else if they like linux and seeks more knowledge.
Lithuania  Offline
Old 05-21-2005, 09:16 PM   #57
zuka
I <3 pwn

Linux Game Server

I have just aquired a an athlon 2400+ machine with some decent specs - enough that it'll run as a decent game server for unreal tournament 2004 and CS and such for my buds.

My question is - if I decide to use a linux distro instead of windows for the servers, which distro would you recommend trying first? Obviously I'm looking for speed and stability.

Thanks in advance

(I have VERY minor experience with mandrake and fedora core 3, but I don't know if either of those would be the best option)
United States  Offline
Old 05-22-2005, 02:56 AM   #58
-=bluebird=-
7|-|3 07|-|3 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuka
I have just aquired a an athlon 2400+ machine with some decent specs - enough that it'll run as a decent game server for unreal tournament 2004 and CS and such for my buds.

My question is - if I decide to use a linux distro instead of windows for the servers, which distro would you recommend trying first? Obviously I'm looking for speed and stability.

Thanks in advance

(I have VERY minor experience with mandrake and fedora core 3, but I don't know if either of those would be the best option)
every distro should do it, coz every distro is stable (in most cases). ut2k4 and cs should work on every distro as well.

if you really want a ****in fast distro, then you should try gentoo it will help ya setup the ut2k4/cs server via emerge
Germany  Offline
Old 05-22-2005, 11:11 AM   #59
ihavenoname
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Yes, any should be fine... However, i'd learn as much about linux, at least the command line. That way, you don't need to run a GUI, and take up resources. And, learn a little bit about security and such... Running the server in /root as root would certainly not be something you'd want to do. When you know enough, try slackware or gentoo, both are very good.
United States  Offline
Old 05-26-2005, 08:13 PM   #60
CompDude
Diehard Linux User

To be quite honest I have stopped using anything but Gentoo. It is too quick and productive for me to bother using anything else.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply