EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Linux, BSD, Alternative OS's

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-30-2005, 06:16 PM   #61
TK2K
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Hey,
I need something that will be able to run quickly on a p3 500 with 192 megs of ram, something i can stick upstairs and forget about ( bit torrent seeding) and relitivly easy to learn.
I have tried freebsd, and i dont know if i am just going about it the wrong way or what, but i cannot seem to get it, even when loged in under root, it says permission denied on many folders.

anyway, thanks
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 06-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #62
Vertigo Boost
i you.clone();
Forum Newbie

what would be a good linux for a p333mhz and very low ram, not sure exactly, currently 96mb of ram i think, i have another 128mb coming for it
United States  Offline
Old 06-03-2005, 05:02 AM   #63
CompDude
Diehard Linux User

If you have the time necessary to install, I think an optimized version of Gentoo would be your best bet. Now, if you'd rather now deal with the "hassle"(there isn't any really. If you choose to install gentoo, message me and I will have you running most likely) Debian might be a good bet. If you kind of jump into linux headfirst, you will learn more in my opinion, and the package management of Gentoo/Debian is great.
United States  Offline
Old 06-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #64
Vertigo Boost
i you.clone();
Forum Newbie

i know Unix and Linux as far as using but not installing, i love Knoppix as far as a linux distro which is Debian based.

i dont mind messing with getting it to work though
United States  Offline
Old 06-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #65
CompDude
Diehard Linux User

Then play around with Gentoo. I love the speed enhancements.
United States  Offline
Old 06-04-2005, 03:07 AM   #66
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
I use gentoo, and absolutely love it. Easily one of the best gaming distrobutions around...

x86_64 too. Hardcore linux gamer, odd as it may be.
United States  Offline
Old 06-04-2005, 04:56 AM   #67
CompDude
Diehard Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aynjell
I use gentoo, and absolutely love it. Easily one of the best gaming distrobutions around...

x86_64 too. Hardcore linux gamer, odd as it may be.
Yea there are just a few things that bug me about the platform. Like Macromedia has not developed a flash player yet.
United States  Offline
Old 06-04-2005, 11:02 AM   #68
ihavenoname
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

I used Gentoo for a while... Maybe about a year, I put it on all my computers (except my server, the livecd has issues w/ SCSI and I needed another version, but couldn't find another blank CD). However, I just don't think it's worth it. I'm currently using Ubuntu... And I love it. Portage was great, it's definatly has more pakagaes than what Debian/Ubuntu has (But the fact that many apps have .debs makes up for it), but I just it just wasn't worth it for me. If I don't need to deal with Gentoo, I won't.

I use Cedega to play a lot of my games, and Doom 3 natively, no problems at all.
United States  Offline
Old 06-05-2005, 02:09 AM   #69
Vertigo Boost
i you.clone();
Forum Newbie

http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=45 which x86 install Minimal or Universal?
United States  Offline
Old 06-05-2005, 08:49 AM   #70
Copycat
Resident skydiver

minimal will download the packages from the net, universal will have the base +basic utils
Italy  Offline
Old 07-23-2005, 12:58 AM   #71
Duffman
Overclocker

I have used Redhat i think 9 then mandrake didnt really like either one. Jumped into Xandros but found it way to easy to break. Put ubuntu on and thought it was great. Havent done a lot in linux since but i have a nvidia card now so i am looking at getting Gentoo.
United States  Offline
Old 07-23-2005, 09:06 AM   #72
ItsTheSource
Mad Warranty Voider

follow the handbook posted on their website...its really well done!!

i'm thinking about switching to the 64bit edition of gentoo...is it worth it yet guys?

Last edited by ItsTheSource; 07-23-2005 at 12:45 PM.
United States  Offline
Old 07-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #73
veener88
Still Learning A Lot

So if you are not realy good with Fedora gentoo is not the way to go then? I have not had a lot of experence with either os.
United States  Offline
Old 07-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #74
Duffman
Overclocker

Just went through an hour of gentoo installation for nothing. Somehow i forgot to mount my hd or something so i need to start all over.
United States  Offline
Old 07-24-2005, 12:56 AM   #75
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
I know you! *points*
United States  Offline
Old 07-24-2005, 04:19 AM   #76
Duffman
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aynjell
I know you! *points*
Lol hey man.

Well after nearly 10 hours of trying to get Gentoo up and running i have quit. I finished installing it jsut to see that no matter waht i did no matter who i talked no matter what i read no matter how many times i reinstalled, it just didnt want to get past Grub. Kept saying file not found. Error 15. Checked my kernel version and it was correct in my grub.conf. Reinstalled grub. Nothing seems to go. So i go to sleep now happy knowing that good ol XP still works.
United States  Offline
Old 07-24-2005, 04:33 AM   #77
D_unruled
Needles FTW

I dont wanna mess with linux on my primary pc anymore.. always screws up somehow. I wish I had a secondary random pc purely for messing with linux on.
Netherlands  Offline
Old 07-24-2005, 06:41 AM   #78
Copycat
Resident skydiver

maybe a secondary partition just for linux? you can't screw up that way, and remember to always install the OS selector (lilo or grub) in the MBR (master boot record) so if you want to get rid of it, just type 'fdisk /mbr' on a command prompt, and it's done.
If you make with partitionmagic (or whichever) a 5gb partition, and then install linux there (4gb ext3 mounted on / ; 500mb swap ; and 500mb ext3 mounted on /home) you can have your own testing partition for all distros. Just be careful not to format other partition beside those!

Changing subjects, as my fav distro mandrake went out of business and merged with conectiva linux and now is called "mandriva", i've been looking (and trying) distros which are good for servers. I tried SuSE 9.3 PRO, slackware 10.1, Debian 3.1r0, and Turbolinux server 8. I was more than impressed with the last one, being so unknown, it's potential is amazing, i just wish i could get my hands into tbl server 10

Debian disappointed me terribly (i expected a lot after the fanatism seen at #linux) and slack was ok. fedora is out of the question, as well as suse: not server distros at all.
Italy  Offline
Old 07-24-2005, 06:50 AM   #79
D_unruled
Needles FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copycat
maybe a secondary partition just for linux? you can't screw up that way, and remember to always install the OS selector (lilo or grub) in the MBR (master boot record) so if you want to get rid of it, just type 'fdisk /mbr' on a command prompt, and it's done.
If you make with partitionmagic (or whichever) a 5gb partition, and then install linux there (4gb ext3 mounted on / ; 500mb swap ; and 500mb ext3 mounted on /home) you can have your own testing partition for all distros. Just be careful not to format other partition beside those!
thats what I had and even then..things still went wrong... even when I fixed mbr... Ive had a few linux horror stories. How is the ubuntu installation?
Netherlands  Offline
Old 07-24-2005, 04:34 PM   #80
Duffman
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_unruled
thats what I had and even then..things still went wrong... even when I fixed mbr... Ive had a few linux horror stories. How is the ubuntu installation?
Ubuntu is easy as anything. Try it out it was one of my favorites. Debian is great.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply