EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Linux, BSD, Alternative OS's

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 07-25-2005, 11:28 PM   #81
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
I only use linux, and gentoo at that. Simple install if you understand how it works... I can do it withouth the handbook, stage 1 at that.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 07-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #82
ItsTheSource
Mad Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aynjell
I only use linux, and gentoo at that. Simple install if you understand how it works... I can do it withouth the handbook, stage 1 at that.
i'm such a noob...*browses to the handbook*
United States  Offline
Old 07-26-2005, 04:56 PM   #83
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
After you use it for a while and it becomes your default system, you'll find it just as easy if not easier than I do. I'm really not all that good... Just more time than you with gentoo.
United States  Offline
Old 07-26-2005, 11:06 PM   #84
Super_Chris
I r TeH SeCKs

Which distro for 286

I recently came upon an old IBM computer (its about 30-50lbs) and im assuming its 286 with about 2-4mb of ram and a 10-50MB harddrive. Now, what distro could i get to work via only a (or a set of) 5 1/4 floppy? I'm only looking for bash support here, age and stability are no issue for me.
United States  Offline
Old 07-27-2005, 02:35 AM   #85
D_unruled
Needles FTW

weee, I just formatted my pc yesterday and used knoppix to Qtparted my drive into 1 windows section and 3 linux ones. Installed windows. Installed ubuntu. So far works like a charm. Pretty nice.
Netherlands  Offline
Old 07-28-2005, 12:14 AM   #86
Copycat
Resident skydiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Chris
I recently came upon an old IBM computer (its about 30-50lbs) and im assuming its 286 with about 2-4mb of ram and a 10-50MB harddrive. Now, what distro could i get to work via only a (or a set of) 5 1/4 floppy? I'm only looking for bash support here, age and stability are no issue for me.

Most definitely try tom's rtbt, really small and you get bash (nice and colored) and a bunch of rescue utils.
Otherwise you could pick the one you like most from this long list: http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Floppy/

You could install one of the "firewall" linux, configure iptables, and have it as a good router / firewall =)

[edit]
BTW, Congrats d_unruled

Last edited by Copycat; 07-28-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Italy  Offline
Old 07-28-2005, 07:45 PM   #87
Super_Chris
I r TeH SeCKs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copycat
Most definitely try tom's rtbt, really small and you get bash (nice and colored) and a bunch of rescue utils.
Otherwise you could pick the one you like most from this long list: http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Floppy/

You could install one of the "firewall" linux, configure iptables, and have it as a good router / firewall =)

[edit]
BTW, Congrats d_unruled
Thats exactly what i was looking for. But I can't use it as a router or firewall, it only has 8bit ISA slots, and that means no ethernet. It is also monochrome, which is awesome.
United States  Offline
Old 08-21-2005, 11:21 PM   #88
pheonix991
North Korea is Best

anyone played with JULEX?
United States  Offline
Old 08-22-2005, 12:07 AM   #89
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
The hell is JULEX? *googles*
United States  Offline
Old 08-22-2005, 05:50 AM   #90
pheonix991
North Korea is Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aynjell
The hell is JULEX? *googles*

what i said when i found it.
United States  Offline
Old 08-30-2005, 08:07 PM   #91
CompDude
Diehard Linux User

I'd just like to add something onto this thread here. This debate generally comes up between forvoid and I. Of course he is a debian user by trade, and I am a gentoo user. It is not so much the distribution that you choose, as it is the familiarity with that distro that you have. Find a distro that you like, and work with it. The more fmiliar you are with that distro the easier it will be.
United States  Offline
Old 09-01-2005, 01:07 PM   #92
TK2K
Banned!
Banned
Hi, i have a pentium M processor in my laptop, so i need a linux distro that supports two main things, first, power managment that will allow underclocking of the cpu to save battery life. and second, a fast resume and sleep mode, something faster then microsoft's standby or hibrinate, but something at least as fast as Sleep for OS X, also, if posible, something that allows control of the LCD's brightness (save battery life)
thanks
United States  Offline
Old 09-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #93
Copycat
Resident skydiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompDude
I'd just like to add something onto this thread here. This debate generally comes up between forvoid and I. Of course he is a debian user by trade, and I am a gentoo user. It is not so much the distribution that you choose, as it is the familiarity with that distro that you have. Find a distro that you like, and work with it. The more fmiliar you are with that distro the easier it will be.
true. but debian sucks! worst. package. selection. ever. during installation, and it just installs a bunch of stuff without asking </rant>

I have to edit my sig, but go slackware!

TK2K
http://tuxmobil.org/apm_linux.html
Italy  Offline
Old 09-01-2005, 05:54 PM   #94
TK2K
Banned!
Banned
Quote:
true. but debian sucks! worst. package. selection. ever. during installation, and it just installs a bunch of stuff without asking </rant>

TK2K
http://tuxmobil.org/apm_linux.html
thanks! ill give it a try
United States  Offline
Old 09-02-2005, 01:28 AM   #95
Super_Chris
I r TeH SeCKs

Quote:

You have to add the 'restricted' and 'community' repositories to get anywhere. The stable repository is just that, stable, it contains only well tested released software(which is like 50 packages).
United States  Offline
Old 09-02-2005, 04:11 PM   #96
Copycat
Resident skydiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2K
thanks! ill give it a try
no problem. In general, what i meant is that it all depends on the kernel. I just checked 2.6.13's menuconfig, and it even supports cpu clock throtling, so just pick a distro you feel comfortable with, and compile the latest kernel

Super Chris
thanks =) i'll try that.

in other stuff, i haven't been able to get the latest ati drivers to work with x.org 6.8 and the agpgart module. in any distro.
Italy  Offline
Old 09-25-2005, 02:11 PM   #97
immortality
Learning To Overclock

I use mandrake 10.1 and have not noticed that many bugs, compared to what many people are saying about how mdk starts up everything, you can choose what to startup in the installation by going to configure. You are also not forced to go into the graphical boot as again you can choose in the installation if you want graphical boot and then do startx when it is needed.

A plus about mandrake is the drakeconf, which is organized very nicely and can be very helpful for beginners in linux. The drakeconf is similar to the "control panel" of windows.

One of the complaints I have about mandrake is that in order for you to get complete support you have to sign-up to be a member, but its not that bad as there are many forums where you can always find a solution mandrake related.

Mandrake can be for advanced and beginners users, it allows for beginners to get slowly used to linux and advanced....to be advanced users.

I am currently running Mandrake 10.1 in Sony Vaio Laptop @2.8 Ghz, 512 ram, Geforce 5600 and Netgear WG511T (madwified)

One last comments p4's in laptops suck, it is helpful to get powernowd and cpufrequtils to help control your laptop consumption. On load my laptop gets nearly to 85 C and if i don't watch out the from syslog the computer shutdowns at 94 C.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:29 AM   #98
MrObvious
I has a Vostro!

I've used Mandriva since 10.1 (formerly Mandrake) and it runs great. No problems here as far as stability. Please update your guide. Thanks.
Meh!
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #99
DFI939
Extreme Overclocker

For any n00bs browsing this and want to try gentoo but are too confused, there is a new version of rr64 out it is a gentoo installer. Runs as a live dvd I belive. And any one who dosn't need or want 64bit then I would tell them to use freebsd.But I am a n00b too. But I refused to use windows.
United States  Offline
Old 05-04-2006, 08:39 PM   #100
rutger75
Overkill Artist

so for setting up a free home web server, low cost, either openbsd or freebsd?

Got it running on win2k server, and IIS, and it just seems like a resource hog...

Seems like it should be faster with a 1mbps upload speed.

Or go apache?

Sorry I'm a complete noob at this stuff... .thanks..
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply