EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Linux, BSD, Alternative OS's

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 05-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #101
DFI939
Extreme Overclocker

I am sure that bsd or linux will be noticeably faster. Not sure about if the network will be faster but the sever should be. Freebsd is nice becouse it uses portage so it should be preaty versitile. Gentoo uses the portage thing too and it what makes it universial.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 05-05-2006, 04:10 AM   #102
muziqaz
Learning To Overclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFI939
I am sure that bsd or linux will be noticeably faster. Not sure about if the network will be faster but the sever should be. Freebsd is nice becouse it uses portage so it should be preaty versitile. Gentoo uses the portage thing too and it what makes it universial.
yeah gentoo is great [;

P.S. yesterday tried ubuntu. Was very excited [; so far very imprested [;
Lithuania  Offline
Old 05-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #103
Copycat
Resident skydiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziqaz
yeah gentoo is great [;

P.S. yesterday tried ubuntu. Was very excited [; so far very imprested [;
I just got mepis beta2 (released yesterday). I'm going to give it a try because it mixes two of my favorite linux things: .deb and KDE

Additional Comment:
Just tried MEPIS 6.0 beta2. Really great distro, everything worked while live (even audio and wireless which with all other distros I've had to download the drivers) and installation is done from the live KDE interface. Simple and functional.

Last edited by Copycat; 05-05-2006 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Italy  Offline
Old 05-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #104
etement
he's at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copycat
I just got mepis beta2 (released yesterday). I'm going to give it a try because it mixes two of my favorite linux things: .deb and KDE

Additional Comment:
Just tried MEPIS 6.0 beta2. Really great distro, everything worked while live (even audio and wireless which with all other distros I've had to download the drivers) and installation is done from the live KDE interface. Simple and functional.
Why not try Kubuntu? I've been Using Ubuntu becuase I like apt and gnome.

Last edited by etement; 05-05-2006 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Ukraine  Offline
Old 05-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #105
Copycat
Resident skydiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by etement
Why not try Kubuntu? I've been Using Ubuntu becuase I like apt and gnome.
It was on my "to try" list. But AFAIK is an "easy" distro in the way that it installs predefined packages (and lots of 'useless' stuff) by default.
That's why I've been stuck to Slackware for years, utter and complete customization from the go

I'll download it and give it a try, why not.
The one I really want to try is nUbuntu , I need a replacement for PHLAK
Italy  Offline
Old 05-05-2006, 03:30 PM   #106
etement
he's at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copycat
It was on my "to try" list. But AFAIK is an "easy" distro in the way that it installs predefined packages (and lots of 'useless' stuff) by default.
That's why I've been stuck to Slackware for years, utter and complete customization from the go

I'll download it and give it a try, why not.
The one I really want to try is nUbuntu , I need a replacement for PHLAK
not that many predefined. It's only 1 CD, some "easy" distro's like Mandriva or Fedora are bloated like that so I know what you mean.
Ukraine  Offline
Old 05-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #107
rutger75
Overkill Artist

well I just dl'd Gentoo.

Do you guys use a utility to set-up dual boot?

Or would you strongly recommend against setting up Gentoo dual boot on a server already setup with a web site?

I really don't want to crash it, maybe I'll find a gigantic hard drive and create an "image" back-up first.
United States  Offline
Old 11-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #108
arbiter
Student overclocker

need linux for an old box p3, what would be the best to use.. also need to be able to access it thorugh network
United Kingdom  Offline
Old 11-09-2006, 05:36 PM   #109
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
Ubuntu is agreat just throw it on distro to use.
United States  Offline
Old 10-05-2007, 12:26 AM   #110
Perceptor
'04 ĸщ

Well, I recently made the switch from XP to Ubuntu Fiesty (7.04). Burning the ISO file to the disk was a breeze, and booting it from it was even easier. It immediately read the CD and prompted me with a list of options.

Having the CD is one big reason why I will cherish Linux. If I do something wrong in the terminal, and it completely ruins my system, and I had things I wanted backed up already, just delete that partition and reinstall!

There were two gripes I had with Ubuntu Linux though. First, my integrated graphics card was not configured properly with the right driver (or lack there of?) and I was stuck with 1024X768. It should have been 1280X800.

I tried different methods, and I finally found a simple one after a few days. I entered the command into the terminal and selected the right resolution out of the x-driver (I think that was the name) and rebooted. Worked perfect, and stayed that way.

Getting my wireless internet card to work was another beast all in itself. I tried every guide and 'how-to' I came across and nothing seemed to work. I actually do not recall with one made mine work; all I know is that I angrily shut off my computer and turned it on the next morning with my blue indicator light illuminated!

It immediately began searching for the best wireless connection with out a WEP/WAP key.

I have loved Linux so far but I will not make it my only OS (for now). Having a dual-boot with XP gives me the best of both worlds, and that makes me happy.

Well, those are my impressions ha-ha.

E: Also, Aero Glass is nothing compared to Compizfusion/Beryl.
United States  Offline
Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #111
MrObvious
I has a Vostro!

Wow we need an update. I don't have the time to volunteer or I would.
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply