EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Getting Started > Essential Tutorials, Guides, & Info

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 08-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #141
Grand Poobah
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

As a side note, unfortunately, the multimeter I am using is from the 1980's or something. This is what it looks like:
http://images.drillspot.com/pimages/1626/162682_300.jpg

it's just the settings are slightly different. So I'm not sure how accurate that is, especially since it isn't even at 20V, it's at 50V, (unless that just means how far up the Voltage is measured).

I know my BIOS is inaccurate and everything, but here's what it reports:
VCore Voltage: 1.39V
3.3V Voltage: 3.32V
5V Voltage: 4.83V
12V Voltage: 12.09V

These numbers smack right into the happy place of ATX's measurements, but again, the BIOS cannot be trusted. I'm not sure if my multimeter can be either.
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 08-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #142
BWX232
Running System Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Poobah View Post
As a side note, unfortunately, the multimeter I am using is from the 1980's or something. This is what it looks like:

it's just the settings are slightly different. So I'm not sure how accurate that is, especially since it isn't even at 20V, it's at 50V, (unless that just means how far up the Voltage is measured).

These numbers smack right into the happy place of ATX's measurements, but again, the BIOS cannot be trusted. I'm not sure if my multimeter can be either.
Just go to radioshack and get a $20 digital multimeter. I'v had the same one for something like 15 years and it works perfectly -still.
United States  Offline
Old 09-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #143
Agencyman
Running System Stock

Scary reading from Speedfan, searched right to this thread

My 600W Thermaltake is not so wimpy that mapping the Milky Way should drop the 12V rail to 9.33V, and VCC (1.5V) to 0.9V.

The pic shows to my relief, that 12.19V idle and 12.16V under a fair load, maybe 50-60%. I only let BOINC have 50%.

BTW, worst-case, which is for me OCCT Linpack, two HDDs turning, outboard 1Tb USB powered, O.C.d to the now normal everyday 3497 MHz; still 12.16V.

Relieved, to say the least.

Bruce

E5300 Wolfdale 45nm 2.6 Ghz dual core; @3497 MHz
MSi P43-C51 motherboard
Cooler Master 212+ with single fan
GeForce N8400GS; 512 MB
4Gb Crucial matched stix; 2GB DDR3 1066
Thermaltake 600W PS
Cooler Master 310 case has the optional front intake fan installed
Helping to Save the world; BOINC; orbit@home, and MilkyWay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EOC001.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	152260  
United States  Offline
Old 01-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #144
shaneshane1
Overclocker

In reference to the tutorial: With the black probe you should be able to connect it to the PC's chassis if its connected to the motherboard and its metal, or even the case of the PSU... no need to reconnect it all over the place every time! (earth or 0V is "common" throughout the whole system!) and then just test all your voltages with the red probe! saves a lot of hassle and time... just a tip if nobody knew...
Australia  Offline
Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #145
krone6
Whaaaaaaaaa?
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Poobah View Post

Analogs have some advantages over digital. If i am right they have a much more accurate reading. I'm taking a guess as this is almost 2 years ago when my teacher told us the advantges and disadvantages.
United States  Offline
Old 12-06-2011, 03:51 AM   #146
DerekMessina
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

Thanks! Now I understand why we shouldn't fully trust softwares. Vote sticky.
United States  Offline
Old 12-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #147
Jamebonds1
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
What is wrong with people? Why do somebody have to use software to check volt? The only way to check real volt is PSU tester or voltmeter.

Plus voltage on BIOS is for CPU and RAM.
Not all BIOS make right voltage but mine do have right voltage.
Again, BIOS don't check voltage but other chip do check voltage.

Software for check PSU's volt is very bad idea, it will give you false position. It will make people buy and replace good PSU by accident (which people actually think that is bad PSU)
United States  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply