EXTREME Overclocking Forums
Home | Reviews | Forums | Downloads | RealTime Pricing Engine | Folding Stats Contact Us

Go Back   EXTREME Overclocking Forums > Software Discussion > Linux, BSD, Alternative OS's

Welcome Guest Visitor! Please Register, It's Free and Fun To Participate!
The EXTREME Overclocking Forums are a place for people to learn how to overclock and tweak their PC's components like the CPU, memory (RAM), or video card in order to gain the maximum performance out of their system. There are lots of discussions about new processors, graphics cards, cooling products, power supplies, cases, and so much more!

You are currently viewing our boards as a "guest" which gives you limited access to view most discussions. You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

After you have registered and read the forum rules, you can check out the FAQ for more information on using the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here!

Note To Spammers: We do not allow unsolicited advertising! Spam is usually reported & deleted within minutes of it being posted, so don't waste your time (or ours)!

View Poll Results: Whats your favorite graphical desktop
Kde 115 36.51%
Gnome 124 39.37%
XFCE 21 6.67%
fluxbox 13 4.13%
Black Box 13 4.13%
enlightenment 8 2.54%
windowmaker 6 1.90%
other 15 4.76%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Please Register to Post a Reply

Old 04-20-2005, 10:47 AM   #21
silenze
Overclocker

Hey where's TWM?!?!

WindowMaker.. Fluxbox/Blackbox my second choice..
United States  Offline
    Register to Reply to This Post
Old 04-30-2005, 03:08 AM   #22
Super_Chris
I r TeH SeCKs

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenze
Hey where's TWM?!?!

WindowMaker.. Fluxbox/Blackbox my second choice..
Tabbed? ha!
I never use those low resource WMs. I'm in love with the eye candy in KDE, and occasionaly gnome.
United States  Offline
Old 05-05-2005, 02:04 PM   #23
w0kKiD
Linux is da $hiz

welli think i voted kde a while ago, but my votes definitely shanged to XFCE4!! i love it, its simple, not a resource hog, looks nice, does everything i need it to without doing anything extra, its great. as for my opinion on kde, its nice, got the eyecandy and all that but it just reminds me too much of windows, the whole thing. first of all the bloated look with all the extra stuff, second its a resource hog, also i find it just does something to hide the nitty-gritty stuff from you and makes configuring a little harder by covering it up by a big@ss GUI. also if u notice, theres all these 'K' programs, i mean Kwrite, Konqueror, Kopete, Kate and thats just a few, theres Keverything, its almost as if theyre going for some (heaven-forbid) microsoft like monopoly. just too much like microsoft as i said...but this is just my opinion.
Netherlands  Offline
Old 06-05-2005, 10:50 AM   #24
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
Don't ask why unless you want to join them.
XFCE, hands down. It's more or less a melting pot of all the best that linux has to offer. GNOME like simplicity, kde features, fluxbox desktop behavior, and gtk theming support built right in. It's easily skinned and themed, for example, my desktop.
United States  Offline
Old 06-30-2005, 07:01 PM   #25
Annorax
Running System Stock

I personally like KDE the best, Gnome is nice too.
United States  Offline
Old 07-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #26
grrwood
Running System Stock
Forum Newbie

this was a hard choice for me, i like kde because it is widely known and very good
skinning sites to go with it. also i like enlightenment for all the eyecandy coolness
going on but for me it became a hastle when the wif couldnt figure out how to
even log off in it. thats when black box stepped in and i have not had a problem
with it yet.
United States  Offline
Old 07-20-2005, 03:26 AM   #27
D_unruled
Needles FTW

I didnt like KDE... tried gnome, liking it better... Idont know how to setup XFCE because in screenies I saw it looked very good and also nice and lightweight for my setup.
Netherlands  Offline
Old 07-20-2005, 09:16 AM   #28
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
D_unruled, it starts up as fast as fluxbox, has the same GTK freindly look as gnome, and has a lot of teh best behavours of kde. What distrobution of linux are you using? For gentoo, it'd be as simple as an emerge xfce, but if you are using a binary based distro, I don't see that xfce, a majour project in the open source community, would not have the right resources to accomodate your using thier work. Go, give 'em a look.
United States  Offline
Old 07-20-2005, 12:11 PM   #29
D_unruled
Needles FTW

well...Ive always had pains with installing/running linux as dualboot. Sooner or later something would always go wrong and I would lose my windows partition.
I have been just running ubuntu live as far as the gnome experience goes (nice themes online for it too).

is there maybe a live distro that uses XFCE by default so I can check it out that way?
Netherlands  Offline
Old 07-20-2005, 07:17 PM   #30
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
Not sure. I'd daresay no, but who knows? Ask some xfce devs... They'd probably know.

(irc.freenode.net #xfce) IRC is good stuff.
United States  Offline
Old 07-20-2005, 09:17 PM   #31
-=bluebird=-
7|-|3 07|-|3 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_unruled
well...Ive always had pains with installing/running linux as dualboot. Sooner or later something would always go wrong and I would lose my windows partition.
I have been just running ubuntu live as far as the gnome experience goes (nice themes online for it too).

is there maybe a live distro that uses XFCE by default so I can check it out that way?
the knppix 4.0 live dvd is having xfce 3.8.16-2 and xfce4 4.0.5-1 onboard. so if you grab a copy of that you can try it out. but its NOT by default.
Germany  Offline
Old 07-28-2005, 01:03 AM   #32
Copycat
Resident skydiver

KDE 3.3.2 with plastic theme currently rocks my box
Italy  Offline
Old 07-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #33
D_unruled
Needles FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=bluebird=-
the knppix 4.0 live dvd is having xfce 3.8.16-2 and xfce4 4.0.5-1 onboard. so if you grab a copy of that you can try it out. but its NOT by default.
4 isnt out yet acording to the site. Is it hard to setup to xfce and can you point me to it when its out?
Netherlands  Offline
Old 07-28-2005, 11:15 PM   #34
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
Recently, I went on a completely unbiased adventure into KDE. Mainly, because I was trying to determine which I liked better: GTK or QT. What I found sorta shocked me (I am going to learn GTK+, which is showing way more promise and has better apps behind it to boot):

A few months ago, I swore by the letter 'K'. When I tried it again, I found some of the worst software I have ever seen. After seeing the elegence put into GTK applications, one simply can't go back. GNOME, however, was way too buggy. If I ever help with a DE project, it will be XFCE. With an aim to please and be minimal at the same time (more or less, they are trying to be perfect), they have done what no other environment can: combine speed, startup time, and usability.

So, I tried KDE recently, found as many bugs as GNOME (XFCE4 has no outstanding bugs, as far as I can see, and this is on a gentoo system!), and decided I had to go back. QT draws buttons too small, and the way you push them, man it feels weird. Like there's resistance. Oh, and don't do anything but use KDE when using KDE, or else QT will lag.

But yeah, switched back to XFCE and all of a sudden, I get speed, usability, and badassity all at the same time. 4.3 gives us a usable file manager too! Yay!
United States  Offline
Old 10-19-2005, 06:22 PM   #35
immortality
Learning To Overclock

xfce is really nice, i dont really like the xfce panel so i uninstalled xfce panel and put in the gnome panel (doesn't linux rule...don't see windows using apple's panels)...xfce can be easily themed and as it is based of the same gtk engines as gnome and kde why not use xfce its faster, clean, and just plain uber...
Old 10-19-2005, 06:49 PM   #36
MD10MD
Launch the Offensive
Retired Staff

immortality, this thread is pretty old... and you double posted the same thing.
United States  Offline
Old 11-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #37
Aynjell
Banned!
Banned
I'll show you old, MD10MD! :-P
United States  Offline
Old 12-25-2005, 05:26 PM   #38
MrObvious
I has a Vostro!

Whoohoo old thread :P. Actually I use a thing called Enlightenment DR 0.17 or E17 for short. It's still in beta/alpha (whatever you wanna call it) but has tons of eye candy and is very lightweight. It can do alot for it's smallness and is really nice to look at. I'd give it a 5/5. I don't like KDE cuz it's bulky and there is no such thing as eye candy in KDE. Gnome, never liked the GUI. Haven't tried much else, but E17 is the way to go.
Meh!
United States  Offline
Old 05-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #39
s0uThp4rk
Learning To Overclock

I like gnome the best, but when I'm using Slackware I unfortunately have to use KDE... Oh well.. Either one is good, and I'm not exactly sure why I like gnome better... I just do
United States  Offline
Old 05-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #40
dannylill1981
monkey see monkey do

kde defiantely
United Kingdom  Offline
Sponsored Links:
Please Register to Post a Reply